Pull a photo from a custom link - no option for it?

ørret

I'm not sure that's the feature you're after? That still uploads it to the forum. I'm hopeful that they return to the previous way they used to have as I had never allowed uploads for pictures until I was basically forced to with 3.2 which I didn't like (you dont upload signatures, or images in posts.. so I can't understand why this seems so hard to place back in there as a basic feature.)

There is a hook you can get in the marketplace called 'improved avatars' which may help you somewhat until hopefully it gets placed back into the forum software again.

I'm not sure that's the feature you're after? That still uploads it to the forum. I'm hopeful that they return to the previous way they used to have as I had never allowed uploads for pictures until I was basically forced to with 3.2 which I didn't like (you dont upload signatures, or[u] images in posts[/u].. so I can't understand why this seems so hard to place back in there as a basic feature.)

There is a hook you can get in the marketplace called 'improved avatars' which may help you somewhat until hopefully it gets placed back into the forum software again.

yes... you can, and most often do.

yes... you can, and most often do.

Ok.. well in my 10 or so years of using forums I've never uploaded the image to the forum, just used the IMG tags and since being an admin I disabled any features that could do that for members by turning uploads off.

Ok.. well in my 10 or so years of using forums I've never uploaded the image forum, just used the IMG tags and since being an admin I disabled any features that could do that for members by turning uploads off.

so... say a user has an image 10mb large on photobucket... then posts/uses it... HOW is that any different than having it on-server.... the only difference besides that space being used on your server is that it takes EVEN longer to load....
Why anyone would prefer and enforce off-site images, with all the additional http requests, DNS lookups and security risks they present(are you Certain its an image and not an xss image script?) to "conserve bandwidth/space" is beyond me.
In addition... so if a user, say, has made a nice little drawing they want to share... they are directed to upload it to a third-party site instead of simply attaching it to the post?
and What happens when the user nukes said photo? big nice broken thumb.

so... say a user has an image 10mb large on photobucket... then posts/uses it... HOW is that any different than having it on-server.... the only difference besides that space being used on your server is that it takes EVEN longer to load....

Why anyone would prefer and enforce off-site images, with all the additional http requests, DNS lookups and security risks they present(are you Certain its an image and not an xss image script?) to "conserve bandwidth/space" is beyond me.

In addition... so if a user, say, has made a nice little drawing they want to share... they are directed to upload it to a third-party site instead of simply attaching it to the post?

and What happens when the user nukes said photo? big nice broken thumb.

If the image is too large for the forum, then I'll just remove it or they may guess to remove it themselves if it is taking too long to load or if others tell them.

Also if people have made a drawing they want to share they will use the IMG tags. I've never used a forum as a user which even allowed me to upload/attach things.

If they remove the picture then that just means people can't see their post anymore. If they want people to see it they can place it up again on the site they had it at or place it on another site, and edit their post.

If the image is too large for the forum, then I'll just remove it or they may guess to remove it themselves if it is taking too long to load or if others tell them.

Also if people have made a drawing they want to share they will use the IMG tags. I've never used a forum as a user which even allowed me to upload/attach things.

If they remove the picture then that just means people can't see their post anymore. If they want people to see it they can place it up again on the site they had it at or place it on another site, and edit their post.

As a user... having a local file and being told to go upload it on photobucket/whatever when theres a built-in feature to upload it is Beyond annoying.... if i have to go hit photobucket, upload it there, just to come back and post the exact same thing... im not gonna post the pic.

^ok.. well many of the users on my forum have never been aware of being able to upload images to the forum so if they do want a post an image they will as it is all they know. If they are new and want to post something but can't figure it out, then another member will usually help them if I'm not there to do so.

^ok.. well many of the users on my forum have never been aware of being able to upload images to the forum so if they do want a post an image they will as it is all they know. If they are new and want to post something but can't figure it out, then another member will usually help them if I'm not there to do so.

So... you prefer sending users away from your site to add content to your site? :logik:

Archived