Embedding mp3 attachments

rgf100

Following on from this and ticket no. 755222 ( Thanks for trying, Brandon! And Jason! And Ryan!)

It is not currently possible to use the media player provided with IPB, to embed an mp3 attachment in a post. An mp3 sitting on the file system - I can embed fine. A Youtube video of a bouncing kitten - I can embed fine. An mp3 sitting on a server in Tehran - I can embed fine. An mp3 attachment on my own site, which a user uploaded five minutes ago - everyone has to download and play in desktop software.

It should be possible to embed mp3 attachments in a post so users can listen to them with the media player. Thank you.

Following on from

this

and ticket no. 755222 ( Thanks for trying, Brandon! And Jason! And Ryan!)

It is not currently possible to use the media player provided with IPB, to embed an mp3 attachment in a post. An mp3 sitting on the file system - I can embed fine. A Youtube video of a bouncing kitten - I can embed fine. An mp3 sitting on a server in Tehran - I can embed fine. An mp3 attachment on my own site, which a user uploaded five minutes ago - everyone has to download and play in desktop software.

It should be possible to embed mp3 attachments in a post so users can listen to them with the media player. Thank you.

I was actually right on the verge of starting a topic about the inability to play MP3 attachments right in IP.Board. It would be very beneficial to me if it was possible, as I'm getting ready to launch a new community soon where I expect a fair bit of (legal) music to be posted by my members.

Back when my Wii U forum was still using phpBB, I remember I found instructions somewhere on modifying the attachment template so that MP3's placed as inline attachments in the post would appear as a player with the download count and link underneath. It was also relatively easy to just wrap the link in a custom MP3 BBCode, but the modification I had made using a player as simple as uploading the attachment and clicking the little "Add to post" button beside it.

It's a small feature, but considering that IP.Board already has a built-in MP3 player for off-site MP3 files, it would be really nice to see it used for MP3 attachments, too.

Bet you can't ;-)

The attachments (bar inline images) are served up with a Content-disposition header of 'attachment' - this is what makes the browser attempt to download them, rather than open up a player or pdf viewer or something. The media player won't open them for, as far as I can figure out, this reason. It may well be possible to hack something up, but it's not as simple as you'd think. Or at least, it wasn't as simple as I thought. I spent yesterday afternoon in the depths of your attachment code.

And to be honest, this is such as basic thing, which has been requested for a year or so, that I'd hope either for a 'yes, we'll do it, or a 'no, we won't'. And if it's a no, we can then mutter and look for other solutions.

Thanks for the response, nice to know it got read.

You can point directly to the file, instead of to the PHP script that serves the attachment (assuming it is web-accessible, which it should be), by using the column attach_location. You may or may not need to use a .htaccess file to serve the extension with a particular mime type, depending on the mp3 player script used. I haven't tested this, but I can't see why it wouldn't be workable in some fashion.

However, to address your question, I don't know that we'll do this or not. There are hundreds of types of files, many which can be "embeddable" in some fashion, and if we start with one, we'll have to allow it somehow for every single file type. We'll see, but it won't be available in the immediate future (next major version, at earliest, *if* we decided to do it).

Thanks, I might have a look at that.

There are hundreds of types of files, many which can be "embeddable" in some fashion, and if we start with one, we'll have to allow it somehow for every single file type.

Well, mp3's would be a sensible place to start. ;-)

However, to address your question, I don't know that we'll do this or not. There are hundreds of types of files, many which can be "embeddable" in some fashion, and if we start with one, we'll have to allow it somehow for every single file type. We'll see, but it won't be available in the immediate future (next major version, at earliest, *if* we decided to do it).

MP3 attachments, I think, are a common enough file type to justify core embedding support for that's as easy to use as the MEDIA tags for Youtube videos or the embedding of attached images.

However, you could get around needing to create an official implementation of this by simply giving us an easy way to create our own "embed templates" for specific types of attachments. Several variables could be available to make the creation of such templates easier. Here's what it could look like:

post-205296-0-62123000-1316135824_thumb.

A simple text box on the attachment type screen would suffice, and admins could then create their own support for embeddable attachments that serve a purpose in their community.

MP3 attachments, I think, are a common enough file type to justify core embedding support for that's as easy to use as the MEDIA tags for Youtube videos or the embedding of attached images.

However, you could get around needing to create an official implementation of this by simply giving us an easy way to create our own "embed templates" for specific types of attachments. Several variables could be available to make the creation of such templates easier. Here's what it could look like:

A simple text box on the attachment type screen would suffice, and admins could then create their own support for embeddable attachments that serve a purpose in their community.

This would be unbelievably handy... i do not want to even go into the times ive had to slip into the database to bypass undesired attach html.... an option to specify override by app would be :wub: .

• 3 months later...

Any clue what makes it so that youtube videos are embedded in the forum so easy? Is there a way we can re-simulate that same thing to get my own hosted (not in IP.Gallery but on a server) h.264 files to play inside of a player somehow?

MP3 attachments, I think, are a common enough file type to justify core embedding support for that's as easy to use as the MEDIA tags for Youtube videos or the embedding of attached images. However, you could get around needing to create an official implementation of this by simply giving us an easy way to create our own "embed templates" for specific types of attachments. Several variables could be available to make the creation of such templates easier. Here's what it could look like:

Did you get this to work?

Any clue what makes it so that youtube videos are embedded in the forum so easy? Is there a way we can re-simulate that same thing to get my own hosted (not in IP.Gallery but on a server) h.264 files to play inside of a player somehow?

ACP -> Look and Feel -> Media Tags

You just set up a regular expression to look for certain strings, and then swap it out with the HTML you want. So you can look for files on your domain ending with a certain extension (for instance), and route them through some sort of flash or other media player (there are many you can download to use if you google).

You just set up a regular expression to look for certain strings, and then swap it out with the HTML you want. So you can look for files on your domain ending with a certain extension (for instance), and route them through some sort of flash or other media player (there are many you can download to use if you google).

I have been trying for DAYS now to find somebody to break this down into step by step for me or pay somebody to do it as I just don't know how to achieve all this. I'm not a programmer and I don't know how to install these media players without conflict etc.

But the attachment itself is no longer going to be an mp3 file, it will be a .ipb file in some monthly uploads folder when you attach it. I don't know that there'd be a way to do this as a Media Tag exclusively, you'd have to query for the file folder and name and somehow serve up a .ipb file to the mp3 player.

But the attachment itself is no longer going to be an mp3 file, it will be a .ipb file in some monthly uploads folder when you attach it. I don't know that there'd be a way to do this as a Media Tag exclusively, you'd have to query for the file folder and name and somehow serve up a .ipb file to the mp3 player.

Wouldn't want it as an attachment. Wouldn't want it in their monthly uploads folder. Would just like the video on my own server and uploaded by me...

Well then that should be easy enough, but it would be something you'd need to customize for your own site and the folder it uploads to. Let me take a look at this later and see if I can create a Media Tag for that.

Wouldn't want it as an attachment. Wouldn't want it in their monthly uploads folder. Would just like the video on my own server and uploaded by me...

I am rather confused.
MP3 media tag.
Stock.
input the url and be done?

I am rather confused.

MP3 media tag.

Stock.

input the url and be done?

I don't want anything MP3

This was my original goal...

We found this today which is a semi-decent idea of a solution:

http://community.inv...ideo-embedding/
(later in the thread)

I'm just so confused to all of this... I purchased a dedicated server hosting account for a baggilion dollars after the hosting companies convinced me I needed it but then now I hear it might have been overkill. I also thought I needed a streaming server like Adobe Steaming Server or Wowza but again... that might be overkill? The problem with the dedicated hosting is that I read places that I'll need mirror servers setup around the world for my videos to be viewed global or something and that sounds impossibly expensive.

The Wistia solution above seems cool because I can have my workshop instructors upload the videos easily themselves and get the embed code to place at the forum. I'm not sure how I'd have them upload files themselves to the dedicated server as I wouldn't want them having all that ftp info that I need to keep private so I guess that's a plus to Wistia. I'm just not sure if iframes are a great idea or not for this. Seems to work ok but haven't tested many browsers...

In a perfect world there would be an easy way to do self hosting h.264 files and tie them in with the permission masks. That way if someone got ahold of the source url they could not see the video without being in that permission set. They would just get a restricted access browser warning or something. There might be a way to do that via htaccess. I know you can block hotlinking of the videos that way I believe but not sure about general 'viewing'.

Archived