Please give us default notification settings for existing users as well as subscribe options for apps

markopolo2002

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm fed up with having to chase myself around my own forum trying to figure out what's been posted and where. IPDownloads, despite asking for it some time ago, still doesn't have any subscription options for comments, and I know we should really be looking at a seperate vote for them, but subscription options are closely related to notifications anyway. Please vote here if you would like to see notification defaults introduced for existing members in the same way it's already present for new members.

There could even be an option available in the users CP that they would be able to manually select preventing admins from changing their settings, that way, those who have already been in to the user CP and configured their notifications would be able to keep them as set, you get the idea right?!!. :)
Cheers
Marko

I had a hard time following your first post, that might be why you're not seeing any votes.

I gather you basically want a way for admins to apply notification options to existing members as well as new members? The biggest problem with such functionality is that you then override members who have validly set their notification options how they want. If I register on a site and say "don't send me emails about friend requests" and then you go change that in the ACP, I'm not going to be very happy with your site (personally).

There could even be an option available in the users CP that they would be able to manually select preventing admins from changing their settings, that way, those who have already been in to the user CP and configured their notifications would be able to keep them as set, you get the idea right?!!. :smile:

Regarding resetting existing users preferences, quote from the first post above, if they are savvy enough to actually get into the user CP, chances are they'll be savvy enough to spot an opt-out such as "don't allow site admins to override my settings" or even make the defaults for those who haven't yet used the save button in notifications ... I admit my idea in general is far from perfect, but it's a starting point at least - there are just too many options for users Brandon, that is of course my own opinion from my own experience as a site admin, our site (because it's prob one of the safest download sites there is) attracts quite a lot of older people who like the reassurance, some are quite technically challenged and I mean that in the nicest possible way of course, but they (as a lot of others) would be more inclined to post in the forums asking how NOT to receive replies on everything rather than post in the forums asking how TO receive replies on everything - it's generally accepted that if something annoys someone, they'll speak up, if it doesn't they won't - of course, we still have the usual "unsubscribe" options available in the emails themselves too, so at the end of the day I personally think it's better to do something which gives people the option rather than do nothing and them be none the wiser?!! Hope that makes sense :smile:
Marko

• 4 weeks later...

Agree completely with bfarber. I want to control my own notifications, if I set them up the way I want and you go and change that on me I'm going to be ticked off. This is similar to allowing people to opt-out of admin emails, doing this could also lead to your site being flagged as a spam source if you go and set that everyone's going to get emailed about everything.

I had asked the same thing when notifications where actually introduced but at that time, I was told we will look into it in next release or so. FFFV But it was never implemented. The reason for my asking was upon upgrade they used to get reset or changed due to some bug so rather then asking ALL users, I would like to fix it from ACP for them.

More or less inline notifications for me are just SPAM! If I follow one topic and 12 replies are posted in it, I get 12 notifications instead of one saying this topic has been updated.

• 3 weeks later...

it's easy to explain to the very few why it happened and how to reset it. The way it is right now it's a problem much bigger than the few who would react that way.

I had a hard time following your first post, that might be why you're not seeing any votes.

I gather you basically want a way for admins to apply notification options to existing members as well as new members? The biggest problem with such functionality is that you then override members who have validly set their notification options how they want. If I register on a site and say "don't send me emails about friend requests" and then you go change that in the ACP, I'm not going to be very happy with your site (personally).

• 2 weeks later...

I have to poke my nose in again.
.... Posted 5 MP items into downloads, i have auto-watch on for topics i post and reply to... and all notifications options checked...
Yet i still have to manually go back and follow each file, and each topic(and the blog entry... -.- )...... that should be automatic, even if requiring approval, once approved -.-.

What you are describing sounds like a bug related to the topic auto posting specifically. Auto-watching topics would not make you automatically watch download files or a blog entry, but if you aren't automatically watching those topics when they're posted, post a bug report in the IDM tracker about it.

The entire notification system for apps needs looked at Brandon, it's just so inconsistant it's becoming painful - I mean, we still don't have notifications for comments on downloads which makes it virtually impossible for anyone without IPContent to track comments unless they require approval, and even then from what I remember this was still a nightmare cause it gave no indication specifically which file comment required moderating. The blogs is much the same - I've posted a handful of blogs since purchasing it and missed numerous replies simply because I didn't subscribe myself to my own blog - downloads are the same - we really should be subscribed automatically to our own submissions, blog entries, etc. If you're saying we should, then IPDownloads has had this issue from the day dot from what I remember although I'm not sure about the blogs.
Marko

The entire notification system for apps needs looked at Brandon, it's just so inconsistant it's becoming painful - I mean, we still don't have notifications for comments on downloads which makes it virtually impossible for anyone without IPContent to track comments unless they require approval, and even then from what I remember this was still a nightmare cause it gave no indication specifically which file comment required moderating. The blogs is much the same - I've posted a handful of blogs since purchasing it and missed numerous replies simply because I didn't subscribe myself to my own blog - downloads are the same - we really should be subscribed automatically to our own submissions, blog entries, etc. If you're saying we should, then IPDownloads has had this issue from the day dot from what I remember although I'm not sure about the blogs.

Marko

i see the problem NOW.
index.php?app=core&module=attach&section
......what good is autofollowing topics i "reply to" if i dont watch topics i POST?

What you are describing sounds like a bug related to the topic auto posting specifically. Auto-watching topics would not make you automatically watch download files or a blog entry, but if you aren't automatically watching those topics when they're posted, post a bug report in the IDM tracker about it.

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-34549-i-subscribe-to-topics-i-post-but-dont-follow-autoposted-topics/page__gopid__132550#entry132550
done.

Marko

Why can't you get notified of comments on files? All you have to do is watch a file and you should be notified of new comments to it (as long as your notification options are set correctly).

If you mean you would like to see auto-subscription implemented, I'm not against this suggestion.

i see the problem NOW.

......what good is autofollowing topics i "reply to" if i dont watch topics i POST?

I just noticed that too - that's the problem. It's posting a new topic for you, not a reply. We would need an enhancement to IP.Board to support this really.

Why can't you get notified of comments on files? All you have to do is watch a file and you should be notified of new comments to it (as long as your notification options are set correctly).

If you mean you would like to see auto-subscription implemented, I'm not against this suggestion.

I just noticed that too - that's the problem. It's posting a new topic for you, not a reply. We would need an enhancement to IP.Board to support this really.

ummm..... lol... of all the feature requests...... farber, as it stands now the whole system is flawed.... please..... its not natural to have ALL that checked... post a topic/article/download/ whatever!!! and have NOTHING unless you hit follow manually.... or reply.

Great to hear Brandon, although please do remember that existing sites will also need some way to make sure existing files/developers are updated too :smile:

The reason I'm a tad unhappy with the notification options at the moment, is like Marcher says, too many options - most of our users just will not understand or even realise options exist like this. Gone are the good ole days where forums were mostly populated by techno heads who wanted to delve into the control panel mass!. It's ordinary web users now that are finding their way onto forums and they will not be bothered with control panels full of options, they want to click, post and move on. It's very easy for them to assume nothing has developed on the thread/post/download/blog they posted on cause surely they would have heard?. In many cases, no, they wouldn't have and it's very likely a response was left.

We either need to make all the apps the same as the forums (i.e. they make a new post or reply to an existing one and are subscribed automatically) or preferably a realtime option to ask them what they want to do with options to set and forget such as "subscribe me to this and every topic I post in, and don't remind me again" type idea ???

ummm..... lol... of all the feature requests...... farber, as it stands now the whole system is [u]flawed[/u].... please..... its not natural to have ALL that checked... post a topic/article/download/ whatever!!! and have NOTHING unless you hit follow manually.... or reply.

I wouldn't say "the whole system is flawed". That's like throwing out your refrigerator because a block of cheese went bad. I believe adding similar checkboxes as you see for topics for other areas that could use them (downloads, blogs, etc.) would be beneficial. "Automatically follow files I submit", etc. Doesn't make the whole system flawed in my mind, however.

I also want to reset the default notification options for existing members.
It's a 'painfully' long list which i don't think too many used/changed it.
I haven't changed it even for myself.

What i do know, is that i changed from the admin pannel in time the defaults as my thoughts about them have changed as well.

For example, after introducing the new notification system, where messages and notifications are displayed a lot better with red icons and stuff, i considered that all members should use more this system and i checked a couple more items in the admin pannel.

I did the same with emails... At some point i was getting too many emails from my board which i actullay found annoying, they were all notifications, i changed defaults again...

I won't be surprised if in the future i will make more changes in the admin as the notification system gets a little better (i think improvemets can be made such as: ease of use, readability, more intuitive)

The bad part of all my efforts is that changes do apply only to new members

I wouldn't say "the whole system is flawed". That's like throwing out your refrigerator because a block of cheese went bad. I believe adding similar checkboxes as you see for topics for other areas that could use them (downloads, blogs, etc.) would be beneficial. "Automatically follow files I submit", etc. Doesn't make the whole system flawed in my mind, however.

Fair point..... but when someone submits something, anything really, they are beyond annoyed with all that checked off they are not following the item automatically....
most dont even notice.... and wander off and miss replies.
If i Post a topic... anything, with ALL that checked off, i have to follow the topic I submitted manually?
Same for the Rest.
it is not as fluid and natural as the system should be in my eyes......
dont make notifications any worse for people.....
this is direly needed IMHO....

Archived