Post Edit History - REALLY NEED THIS

connorhawke

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have never had a post edit history as a feature in our stock software release (I believe there have been third party addons for this sort of functionality in the past, but I am not positive). I apologize if you were given any wrong information. This is not something that was removed, as it was never available.

• 2 weeks later...

This feature is really needed, one of our rouge staff member mass edited topics to "ABCD" now there is no way of going back except restoring the database by which we will lose hundreds of new registrations and posts.

• 1 month later...

If you configure your notification emails to include the posted text, then you could have a record of the original on your own email archive. But aside from indicating that the post has changed it wouldn't be hugely useful.

When IPB prepares the notification email it could store the text in a server folder "edits" similar to "uploads" - i.e. the text would not be in the database. The database would just have references to the material in "edits". This would be only a small increase in database size. (No free lunch - the disk usage on the server would increase).

It really is not the size of the database at all. So that is not a concern for many. It is the fact of no easy trail of edits and their needs to be "just in case". Every post that has an edit should have a way to see the post edit history when viewing a post. (Based on permission settings that is.) And a way to revert if needed.

• 1 month later...

Modify the notification function to optionally send a notification of each edit result. This would be a much simpler implementation and the space consumed would be on the user PC.

Currently if you are subscribed to a topic the text of a new post is sent in the email notification, and you have a record of the original post in your email client. This has often been useful to us.

Optionally have another notification with text when a post is edited.

The only thing that would need to be added to IPB is the option to notify when post is edited. This would be in My Settings > Notification Options for mods and admins.

My opinion is that it sounds like a nice feature, but could cause large databases to grow in size greatly. This (database size) can be a real problem for very large boards.

How about something like the folliowing:

1. Add a flag to post table has_edits
  2. create new table for edited post history
  3. Only join the table if there is an edit

Surely that would negate most of the performance impact on any forum. Appreciate it would increase the size of the database however so would have the ability to switch it on or off, but I gotta admit I would like this on my forum even with the increase in database size.

EDIT: Bare in mind was a very quick thought and not really thought much further into it LOL

If it ever gets in the core, please set it to disabled by default or give a warning so admins don't inadvertently blow up the database, :smile:

If properly implemented, there would be no concern over such a thing happening.

This is not a "server killer" as previously mentioned.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We haven't talked much about the changes coming to the forums yet for the 4.0 suite. Stay tuned to our blog for updates. :smile:

Having just had a big issue with anonymous editing of posts (thankfully I can see who did it in the DB) this feature would have been extremely useful in pinpointing why moderators were making changes without recording the reasons why.

I'm hoping your post implies this feature is going to make it in to IPS4... :flowers:

Archived