Post Edit History - REALLY NEED THIS

connorhawke

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I already posted about this and I think this should be added with an option to turn it off.
If some want want to use it they can turn it on, if don't, then just turne it off ... simple and easy!
There are lot's of features that are less important than this on and exists (for me).

I use the mod posted here and it has saved me hours of troubles since some members just try to make ports about trips they made (with photos and movies) and after a few changes they just screw up the posts.
If this does not exists how can I help them?
With this, I just need to recover the last "good" posts and I'm ready to go.

I only upgraded my board when the developer released 3.2 compatibility hook.

I just got a look to my old vB database and my stats are:

History: 11,569 (23,0 MB)

I think Invision should start thinking about adding this feature in a next release ...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really surprised that this is not already included in an IPS release! Who do we need to address to get this considered on a more serious basis?

Basically at any IPS forum currently, you can say a bunch of crap about anything.. edit it a few minutes later (after you feel enough regular members people have read it/you've gotten your point across).. and then no moderator will even know about it! Even if they hear about it from others, there is no proof available to back it up (since it was edited & there is no history!)

We (current customers) shouldn't have to BUY A SEPARATE MOD for doing something so basic. Let's work to get this implemented in the near future guys!

~ Im2bz2p345 :)

I'm administrating a political discussion forum, and editing a post by moderator is not a trivial action (our members really expect us to respect their freedom of speech).

With post history, it would be helpful and really make it clear to the post owner about how the post has been edited.

• 4 months later...

I have been using post edit history for a decade now (in vbulletin and other forum software), and I would not even think of migrating to software that does not have this functionality.
There are so many instances when this function is vital.

Here are some examples:
A member breaks all the rules in the most extreme ways, gets members upset, and edits his posts. No evidence is left. You can do nothing without post edit history.
A ranking member gets upset and blanks out 600 very important posts, and thereby destroys hundreds of important threads. You can do nothing without post edit history.
A member complains that he received unwarranted negative reputation. The post has been edited. Without post edit history, you have no clue what happened.

Migrating my big board to IPS means significant data-loss.

It's available already as a hook. See previous posts.

Some functionality is simply too basic to be a hook, because it has to do with basic database structure. Imagine that forum categories would be a hook. Its so vital, that you can not risk such function to be dependent upon a 3rd party. If the hook is abandoned, then this will cause major data loss and functionality loss. You would be stuck on the last IPB version that would work with the hook.

Coming from other platforms, which all have post edit history, migration to IPS, results in data loss. (even with a hook providing this). There is no import script.

In all my years in foruming I never had a use for it.

Unfortunately I have had.
Something similar to this:

A ranking member gets upset and blanks out 600 very important posts, and thereby destroys hundreds of important threads. You can do nothing without post edit history.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using post edit history for a decade now (in vbulletin and other forum software), and I would not even think of migrating to software that does not have this functionality.

There are so many instances when this function is vital.

Here are some examples:

A member breaks all the rules in the most extreme ways, gets members upset, and edits his posts. No evidence is left. You can do nothing without post edit history.

A member complains that he received unwarranted negative reputation. The post has been edited. Without post edit history, you have no clue what happened.

Migrating my big board to IPS means significant data-loss.

+1. By having this feature, mods and admins could actually "review" the reports because of access to all edited posts. Let's have this feature in IPS!

• 1 month later...

Archived