Status Updates

TheRingLord.com

Having it at the top of every page seems more intuitive to me, and none of my members had any issues adjusting to it. It feels a lot like Twitter that way, which has a "New Tweet" button at the top of the site. But I can understand why some of you may prefer having a status update box in the sidebar, too - I'm sure a hook would be able to add it back.

I liked the Way It was on 3.14, My members are confused where to find it

Would be a nice mod If someone could make it

+1 This is the only change so far that my members are struggling with and I agree with them. It just doesn't make sense to have Status Updates with no obvious place to enter them.

Hey Andy..

Most people like simple and to keep things the way they are or were, My members will adjust but at the moment the amount of Status updates has gone down.

I just wish that when IPB makes changes they also leave the option to have both, instead of boom thats gone and now you have to figure out how to do it, Not everyone has computer smarts

The upgrade to 3.2.2 has some outstanding new features, but has also made my life busy trying to explain to members what happen to this or how do i do this now

Cheers

Van

I thought about suggesting some articles that you could copy / paste to your own community to assist members with the transition but the built in help is often overlooked too.

Status

The user's status displays in the profile. If you are viewing your own profile, you will be able to change this by pressing Update.

I'll suggest that does need a tweak or two, I'll post a bug report about it here although its partly a suggestion too but that help file does appear to need a tiny tweak to me at least as its not been updated enough, hence the report.

• 1 month later...

The removal of the ability to update the status from within the status hook is one I do not agree with, and my users continue to ask me how they can update their status now that I've moved from 3.1.4 to 3.2.x. I was hoping someone would have posted a patch to the status hook that adds this back in, but looks like I'll have to dive in and do it myself.

Hiding UI elements behind menus and popups solely in the name of "cleaning things up" is poor practice, and sadly it was done quite a bit in 3.2.

..Al

The removal of the ability to update the status from within the status hook is one I do not agree with, and my users continue to ask me how they can update their status now that I've moved from 3.1.4 to 3.2.x. I was hoping someone would have posted a patch to the status hook that adds this back in, but looks like I'll have to dive in and do it myself.

Hiding UI elements behind menus and popups solely in the name of "cleaning things up" is poor practice, and sadly it was done quite a bit in 3.2.

..Al

That's a side effect of everyone talking up how great XenForo was for being so clean and 'professional' looking. Since IP.Board has a lot more features than XenForo, they had to come up with some way to move lesser used ones out of your face a bit in order to clean up the page. Unfortunately there's no way to please those who want it clean and those who want every gadget right there where they expect it.

That's a side effect of everyone talking up how great XenForo was for being so clean and 'professional' looking. Since IP.Board has a lot more features than XenForo, they had to come up with some way to move lesser used ones out of your face a bit in order to clean up the page. Unfortunately there's no way to please those who want it clean and those who want every gadget right there where they expect it.

I'd have to say that the status update text field in the status hook wasn't a "lesser used one" in terms of features. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to people how they can now update their status. This goes for all sorts of other features that Invision conveniently "hid" in the name of making the skin "clean" and "professional' looking. It's terrible UI design when features are not obvious and not where you'd expect them to be. They really went overboard with this, especially in terms of moving tons of settings out of the User Control Panel.

..Al

And I would say it probably was one of the lesser used features, at least in my experience (I've had to tell zero people where it's been moved to), and that's the crux of the matter: there is no definitive ranking of which are the most and least used features, because they vary from person to person.

And I would say it probably was one of the lesser used features, at least in my experience (I've had to tell zero people where it's been moved to), and that's the crux of the matter: there is no definitive ranking of which are the most and least used features, because they vary from person to person.

That's not the crux of the matter, though. It's that Invision moved and/or hid a whole bunch of features for the sake of cleanliness. Someone should have taught them that "form follows function", as they really missed the boat on this one with 3.2. Very aggravating as an admin having to explain repeatedly where various features and/or settings disappeared to. And very aggravating as someone who takes UI design seriously to see such steps backwards in many areas. For every one person who actually asks a question, there are surely many more who just simply give up or don't even know such features/settings now exist.

..Al

I had a lot of my users question where it was. It was one of the most used functions on my site.

I also share the in the aggravation with this latest version and how functions were hidden. I don't see this "upgrade" as an upgrade, but rather a step back. Like removing the ability to sort accounts needing approval by admin/user validation. I get a lot of new registrations that require admin and email approval. So now I have to go through all of the non email validations and ones who have validated their emails. Its a mess.

I feel like my job has been made harder and is has made more work for me. An upgrade shouldn't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived