Two features have to be brought back

broni

Don't forget avatar galleries and linking to an avatar via url. These are enough to prevent several big boards from upgrading that make use of these features.

Yes.. I wish I knew about this omission before I upgraded. :(

I'd like for both to be brought back, but if that isn't possibly for the Galleries I really, really, need the offsite avatar/photo hosting. I don't have unlimited server space for members to upload their avatars, and then for me to constantly hold onto them. Some members may sign up upload an avatar, and never return and then I'm supposed to keep a back up of their avatar until the end of time. I hope it comes back so it is a members responsibility where there avatars/photos are kept.

Well I can't say I need no. 2 but no.1 wasn't something I think, needed removing. The argument that it "clutters" is nonsense. The same can be said for post count for example. Who needs to see that and why not put that in the member name hover card as well?

While it may be a nice little tidbit of information:
  • It's not necessary or even helpful for most people in a forum setting [will a person being online impact your response?].
  • It takes an extra query or two to fetch that information, potentially slowing page load.
  • It's not even necessarily correct in any way whatsoever. It only says whether they've viewed a page in the past {n} minutes; it doesn't mean they're actively viewing the site or whether they even still have it open in their browser. For that matter, I could have opened this topic 16 minutes ago and still be viewing and replying, and yet I would be 'offline' as far as that icon was concerned.

You can get a better and more accurate indication through the user popup if you want it, so as far as I'm concerned, that's the logical option.

While it may be a nice little tidbit of information:

• It's not necessary or even helpful for most people in a forum setting [will a person being online impact your response?].
  • It takes an extra query or two to fetch that information, potentially slowing page load.
  • It's not even necessarily correct in any way whatsoever. It only says whether they've viewed a page in the past {n} minutes; it doesn't mean they're actively viewing the site or whether they even still have it open in their browser. For that matter, I could have opened this topic 16 minutes ago and still be viewing and replying, and yet I would be 'offline' as far as that icon was concerned.

You can get a better and more accurate indication through the user popup if you want it, so as far as I'm concerned, that's the logical option.

Sorry but non of those reasons justify moving it. It has been a feature in post view since 2.x and severs are faster and cheaper nowadays so the argument that is slows page load is nonsensical. It was much more sensible and useful to put it in post view where you could see it straight away.

Again, it doesn't matter if the person is online or not when you are replying to a topic.

unless you specifically WANT to post a reply knowing the member is offline and won't see it for a bit.
this happens as a joke often.
I know I know we don't do it so its not valid.....

Maybe elements of IPB 3.2 has a little bit of Windows Vista in it. . .you have to upgrade to downgrade :bug:

All joking aside, I like 3.2 and they did a good job with it.

However, taking little pieces out of 3.2 has caused sooooo much controversy that in the end, it has made a lot of seasoned users do this > :no:

Take a look at how many threads were started and debated on this topic over and over again? And with each version of 3.2 or customer upgrade, new debates on this topic will continue to appear. . .get used to it.

It's probably more resourceful for IPS to just put those few elements back in and be done with it.

Archived