(3.2) Am I tired? How do you rename a link?

broni

Originally I posted my question here: http://community.inv...-rename-a-link/ but after I saw the actual solution I decided to post in this forum as well...

In 3.1 when you clicked on "link" BBCode there were two boxes, one for a link itself and the second one for the link name.

In 3.2 I can see only one box, just for a link:

%7Boption%7D

How the heck can I get the link user friendly name?

Apparently:

Write the label for your link first, then select it and click the link button.

...is the solution.

It works, but I have to admit it's really dumb and complicated.
If I (computer savvy person) couldn't figure it out what about regular people?

This is a step back from the previous version.

Again, why something simple has been changed to something much more complicated?

I hope someone will create a hook to make it like it was before.

In this topic (http://community.inv...rom-topic-view/) one of the staff member wrote:

The reasoning behind removing it from topic view is that having multiple 'top level' actions makes it more difficult for new users and more likely to lead to mistakes.

[...]

Our job is to build the best software we can - and that includes using the best practices we can wherever possible.

If regular members are supposed to be confused by two buttons how about "link" thing, which even I couldn't figure out, so I had to post a question here?

First of all, thank you for posting this here broni (since I, and many others, don't have access to those customer forums anymore). %7Boption%7D

Second, I totally agree with you about the link icon being confusing and that they should put it back the way it is on 3.1.4. I remember a couple of weeks ago I was trying to add a link with the name, but all I saw was the field for the link and noticed the field for the name was removed (much like many other useful features IPS keeps removing). I didn't know that we had to write the label for our link first, then select it and click the link button until just now when you started this topic. All this time I've been adding links without the link name. And to reply to that staff members quote:

The reasoning behind removing it from topic view is that having multiple 'top level' actions makes it more difficult for new users and more likely to lead to mistakes.

Even though that quote was aimed at a button being removed, don't you also think that removing certain features will also "make things more difficult for new users and more likely to lead to mistakes"?
There's so much emphasis on pleasing "new members", yet older members seem to be disregarded. Why is that?

It is funny how different some people can use things. Personally I never used the text portion of the old version. I always highlight the already typed words and hit the link button.

Dito (I was used to this since my very first communities)

Still I totally agree with the topic. IPS (over)used the "make it as easy as possible" attitude as an excuse for so many different steps during 3.2 and yet they make some stuff far more complicated.

But then again, maybe IPS doesn't want (invisible/covered) links that don't start with "http://www"?

It is funny how different some people can use things. Personally I never used the text portion of the old version. I always highlight the already typed words and hit the link button.

Same here. I agree that things have moved backwards a bit though.

Guys, this wasn't intentionally removed. The comment (from a staff member) that was quoted has absolutely nothing to do with this specific functionality.

CKEditor doesn't support this - that's the plain and simple reason it's not supported in the editor now. We consider this a defect, but have no control over this (without modifying CKEditor) at this time.

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-30921-editor-link-icon

Guys, this wasn't intentionally removed. The comment (from a staff member) that was quoted has absolutely nothing to do with this specific functionality.

CKEditor doesn't support this - that's the plain and simple reason it's not supported in the editor now. We consider this a defect, but have no control over this (without modifying CKEditor) at this time.

http://community.inv...ditor-link-icon

This could be a silly question, but why don't you just modify CKEditor?

Because it becomes near impossible to keep up with updates from third party developers (like CKEditor). For instance, we need to update to their latest release at some point to implement bug fixes they have made to the editor core files, and that task becomes increasingly impossible once we've changed their core code ourselves.

In that case I have a different question...

What was wrong with IPB 3.1.4 editor so it had to be changed?

This was explained multiple times so I will help out IPS here.

They moved to another editor, maintained by another company because it was very resource-intensive to keep alone the editor up to date with all the changes in browsers etc.
Invision thinks that the time they save by this move may better be invested elsewhere.

I've used this feature a lot in 3.1.4 no wonder am still using 3.1.4 at this time,because if search engines see just links that's what show up in search engine and i don't want my links in search when people looking for something in the search engines.

Archived