Download: Number of Posts to Post Links (Anti Spam Measurement)

NenaDice

File Name: Number of Posts to Post Links (Anti Spam Measurement)
File Submitter: NenaDice
File Submitted: 14 Aug 2011
File Category: Hooks and Plugins

This will give the admin the option to make it so only users with a certain post count set by him/her can post http or www links in posts and threads. By default it is set to 5 posts. This is an anti spam measurement if you will.

Install the hook.xml file through Manage Hooks in your Admin Panel and then to configure it go to System Settings. There you will see a new setting called NenaDice. Click on it and configure the hook to your needs. There you can enable/disable the hook, set the number of posts needed to post links, enter your custom error message and as last but not least you can choose which groups and forums can bypass the post restriction.

Compatible with 3.4.x as well.

Click here to download this file

Good looking hook!

Question, is there a way to easily edit the error messages? I'd prefer a generic error message instead of give spammers a target number, because that will actually promote spam.

Thank you :)

Yes, you can edit the error message from the hook settings. There is a setting called Error Message. You can enter there whatever message you want. You can also show the name of the user with {user}.
  • 2 months later...

Wow! this sounds like a really cool mod! (I was actually thinking of requesting something like this!)
I was wondering whether you could add an extra feature in a future version:

- Automatically activate the setting "this user's posts will be moderated" from the very moment he posts a link in one of his posts (if he hasn't reached the 2, 3, or whatever minimum number of posts).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the 3rd false positive PM I've received from members:

I don't like Spam either. This is my post. It does not contain any URLs. Why the OOPS Msg?

"As soon as these wind turbines were turned on, my Dave and I took a walk on the bike path to check them out for ourselves. I have excellent hearing. We went and stood directly under them.There is a very low pitch hum that 99% of the population won't hear. The blades slicing through the air are also heard. This sound was not disruptive.

The higher hum of the big electric box next to the turbine is louder but can't be heard from a distance of 40-50 feet. A window air conditioner is louder. A plane passing overhead is louder. A running car, the lawnmower, a leaf blower all are much louder. I personally feel it is just a new noice to get used to. Our consensus is that we would not mind one in our backyard."

Just wasted 7 bux trying days-registered-to-post-links-anti-spam-measurement.

Same issues it block the above message. False positive.

I found the problem here:

them.There is a very low pitch hum

added a space between the period "." and "There" so it looks like

them. There is a very low pitch hum

and that caused the issue.

Can this be fixed? Lots of users sometimes miss hitting the space bar and this should not mark their messages as having links.
  • 7 months later...

Hi

Installed and set up, new user today and they posted a twitter link, is that right or should that not have been allowed ?

The new user (1 post) was in the TEF Newbie group so shouldnt be excluded and i have set the hook to 10 posts

That is not recognised as a link from what I am seeing at the screenshot because it does not contain http or www.

So I installed this onto my 3.4.1 install and my forum was working fine for a few hours. Then began receiving the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 230686720 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 805762 bytes) in/home/cruisecr/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.phpon line 569

Reported this to IPS Tech and they said it was this app causing the issue. As soon as they disabled it, the error went away and board back online.

Is this a known issue? Any idea what within this app could be causing this?

Thanks!

So I installed this onto my 3.4.1 install and my forum was working fine for a few hours. Then began receiving the following error:

Reported this to IPS Tech and they said it was this app causing the issue. As soon as they disabled it, the error went away and board back online.

Is this a known issue? Any idea what within this app could be causing this?

Thanks!

It is not coming from my mod. I see nothing in the error you posted that it indicates it is caused by my mod. As my mods does not make use of templates. It simply checks for links. This error is caused by a mod that makes use of templates/template hook.

P.s. Did you get this error when posting btw or in the forum index page.

oh I don't know what to say because this was the only mod installed last night. Received it when viewing the forums (including board index).

Any other ideas?

My mod has nothing to do what so ever with viewing forums. What happens if you install another mod? Do you get the same issue?

And the error message points to a memory limit issue btw. You might want to contact your host as well about it btw.

Archived