Search - give us control!

cmiller

The search is my #1 complaint with IPB. When I click "VNC" or jump up top to search for something, I am NEVER looking to search ANYTHING, except the forums. SO... it makes no sense to have the search acting in a dynamic fashion.

I love that when we search, we see the additional options. Oh cool, let's see what new members we have, or new blog posts. Thats all good......

BUT... the search box, and VNC - these are CORE features. If we show them members just because they were just viewing a member profile, or we default the search to blogs because that's where they were when they clicked VNC.... we're limiting what they see! This goes against human behavior. When I click "view new content" I expect to see ALL NEW CONTENT! I don't pay attention to the fact that the software has decided to LIMIT my new content to "members only" or "blog posts" etc.

Can we not work on this a little bit? VNC and search both should be more user friendly. They should not DEFAULT to ANYTHING but instead show ALL relevant results with an explanation of where the content comes from.

Vbulletin handles this really well. All content is displayed in-line with different icons for each type of content.

Could IPB not do something similar?

Can we not work on this a little bit? VNC and search both should be more user friendly. They should not DEFAULT to ANYTHING but instead show ALL relevant results with an explanation of where the content comes from.

Vbulletin handles this really well. All content is displayed in-line with different icons for each type of content.

Could IPB not do something similar?

It would be an ideal situation, I agree. The problem is resources. There are only two real solutions:

1) Use sphinx, and we try not to work our core features in a manner that requires specialized third party software (which in turn would require a dedicated server or vps, technical knowledge, etc.)
2) Use a search index table (I believe this is what VB does), which we tried in 3.0.

#2 is the only real solution, however our research when did this in 3.0 showed that it is very resource hungry - everything that happens inserts/updates/deletes from this table, and then every search is selecting from the table, creating constant locking. We did not feel this solution would work well "in the wild" so to speak.

• 2 months later...

I was going to post about this too but I see its already been suggested. So I'll plus one that I would if View New Content included all content that was new and then people were able to filter which content they want to see. I'm not sure how many people realize or take the time to go down every content type to look at new content.

Same that the search needs to include additional areas. I hope something can be worked out because it would really make the browsing experience so much better.

use the hook that sets up google site search

this is possible yes, but what then, have 2 search boxes , which would only serve to confuse members even more. or lose the ipb search, which id not do.

@ bfarber, do you not foresee a way (in the short term future) where a click of VNC would indeed bring us all new content, as the name suggests without having to further click each catergory, ie databases, gallery, blogs etc

benny

this is possible yes, but what then, have 2 search boxes , which would only serve to confuse members even more. or lose the ipb search, which id not do.

@ bfarber, do you not foresee a way (in the short term future) where a click of VNC would indeed bring us all new content, as the name suggests without having to further click each catergory, ie databases, gallery, blogs etc

benny

it adds the google option to the existing search box, it can be set as default and/or made available to certain member groups. It doesn't fix IP's search short comings, but its an option if you want a different search

There are only two real solutions:

A very simple real solution would be to have forums search as default, wherever you are. A, because the majority of the time that's what people actually want to search, and B, because then at least it's consistent and people know they need to change it for anything else. I've just been caught out on my own site failing to find something I knew should be there. Why? I'd failed to note I'd clicked through to advanced search from my portal, and so I was searching 'pages'. I don't even have any 'pages'

On the Google Search issue -anyone who'd like that as core or part of an official mod, have a look at my recent topics - I've asked for it, but there hasn't been much interest.

• 1 year later...

Archived