View new content links, why they doesnt take me to first unread post?

Owdy

What we want to do is this..

If a topic has a new post, then it takes us to /unread

If a topic is read then it takes us to the first post.

^this

And devs, think about mobile skin. How difficult it is to hit that star image in mobile phone?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is for sure a little tricky not knowing all of the system and how they are calling it properly.... Charles made it sounds easy, but I think he was just looking at the browser link info... lol

kind of suspect that myself... as i honestly see no code here that tests against "unread" at all, just on request for page and whether its first post or not.

i have, hence the issue.

<if test="$imgArray['is_moved']">

<span title="{$this->lang->words['pm_moved']}">{parse replacement="t_moved"}</span>

</if>

<if test="$imgArray['is_closed']">

<span title="{$this->lang->words['pm_locked']}">{parse replacement="t_closed"}</span>

</if>

<if test="$imgArray['show_dot'] && empty( $unreadUrl )">{parse replacement="t_read_dot"}</if>

<if test="gotolatestwrap:|: ! empty( $unreadUrl ) && ! $imgArray['is_moved']">

<a href='{$unreadUrl}' title='{$this->lang->words['first_unread_post']}'>

<if test="$imgArray['show_dot']">

{parse replacement="t_unread_dot"}

<else />

{parse replacement="t_unread"}

</if>

</a>

</if>

template scope, $unreadUrl is a local $var not present or data pushed for it to search templates.

We want to keep behavior consistent across all the areas. On topic view it works as you described so it should also work that way on view new content.

I understand you wanting consistency, but consider usability. If you're actively looking for NEW content, as people using VNC obviously are, why not make it as easy as possible for them to get to the first unread post by simply clicking on the thread title (as they've been used to doing for the past two years)

Plus there's inconsistency all over 3.2 anyway (mobile skin - clicking on any topic title takes you to first unread rather than first post; star symbol is used to indicate unread posts in mobile skin but star indicates having posted in a topic in the full skin; some buttons have hoverover images but some don't; some areas use the old 'forum jump' style selectors for users to make choices whereas others like the selector to choose which area you want to search in looks like a button. The default 3.2 skin feels like an exercise in showing off Rikki's skills, rather than an attempt to provide a consistent, user-centric front end.

The default 3.2 skin feels like an exercise in showing off Rikki's skills, rather than an attempt to provide a consistent, user-centric front end.

I've been thinking the same thing ever since i saw that godawful chosen pink, TBH.
I would like to know how soft blue and shocking pink could ever, ever be considered a consistent color scheme.
Much less the completely random use of green.

Many feel the same on the colors, Until someone else comes along or he get's hit by a truck of testosterone, we are stuck with the pink and baby blue. or of course our own skins. :)

Nothing personal ;) We just have different taste!

I guess the solution is
Page__view__getnewpost
or
&amp;view=getnewpost
But i've tried all the night yesterday, do replace some code...nothing. Only in the board index, and then I discovered that the option of the first unread post was active inthere.%7Boption%7D
So many questions without answers...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been exploring this software for a couple weeks now and although I'm thrilled for the most part, I've just discovered from this topic that the blue dot & star have some significance. Who would think to click on that to go to the last post they've read?

It should be the title... Even the little quote redirect icon would at least tempt people to think the icon might have some action to it.

I really thought I was going to get many complaints about this on my sites, but after conversion not one person has mentioned it, I did a little video though explaining the new navigation... so far this hasn't been the issue I thought it would be.

No answer yet? you people should have started a riot by now. I would suggest to block the road to the support forum and throw out the mods and loot the marketplace :laugh:

just kidding i totally agree with you because IPS made us used to that way and now they've taken our fav toy away from us. gubbye cruel world :bye:

• 1 month later...

Archived