Download: Improved Avatars

brainiac744

File Name: Improved Avatars
File Submitter: brainiac744
File Submitted: 22 Jul 2011
File Updated: 12 Sep 2011
File Category: Hooks and Plugins

Sale! - We're currently putting the addon on sale! $2 instead of $5!
This script is meant to improve the avatar/profile photo functionality of 3.2 to emulate 3.1. Currently, it adds the following changes:
Each of these can be individually enabled or disabled from a settings group, as well as turned on and off only for specific groups. Please note that this modification will be updated with more features regularly, so please check back often. I'm hoping the updates will slow down a bit once we have a better feature based, but I figured you'd rather have the features you want now rather than waiting for larger releases. Click here to download this file

[*]The ability to add an avatar from URL, enabled per group or globally. [*]The ability to add an avatar from RuneScape, enabled per group or globally. [*]The ability to add an avatar from Xbox, enabled per group or globally. [*]The ability to add an avatar from World of Warcraft, enabled per group or globally. [*]The ability to disable gravatars, facebook avatars, and twitter avatars.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current Issues
Planned Features Please, feel free to add comments and suggestions. Mostly the hook is for avatars from urls, however, eventually it may extend into an "Improved Photos" system.

[*]Avatars of weird shape are stretched to fit. Solution would be to use the in-built cropping system possibly?

[*]Per-group setting for URL based avatars [*]Avatars from RuneScape Adventurers' Log

Current Issues

[list=1] [*]Avatars of weird shape are stretched to fit. Solution would be to use the in-built cropping system possibly?

[/list]

Planned Features

[list=1] [*]Per-group setting for URL based avatars [*]Avatars from RuneScape Adventurers' Log

[/list]

Please, feel free to add comments and suggestions. Mostly the hook is for avatars from urls, however, eventually it may extend into an "Improved Photos" system.

Would you be able to implement avatar galleries (which were available in IP.Board 3.1 and below)? Maybe you could even take the feature one step further and even make it possible to add/modify/delete galleries with the ability to upload to them, all within the Admin CP. And a per-group setting for that would also be appreciated. %7Boption%7D

Kind Regards,
Haku

I'll look into all of your suggestions. I'm already working on the per-group setting (as well as a couple others, including the ability for avatars being sized differently on topic view, turning off the ability to upload avatars, etc.) I don't know much about extending the avatar galleries yet, it may require me change it from a hook to an application.

Overall, it's turning into a system that's more for an "improved" avatar system rather than "avatars from URL.", and I'm planning on renaming it as "Improved Avatars" within the next release of two.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've installed the latest version of Improved Avatars 1.1.2 on my newly updated forum running iPB 3.2.1 using the default skin(no mod whatsoever). The problem is that after opening the window to change the avatar, I cannot click on the "Done" button :

%7Boption%7D

This happened the second time I tried changing the avatar. So after updating the options for the first time, everything worked well, but when I tried changing the avatar for the second time, I cannot do so since I can't click on the "Done" button.

Is this a bug?

Thanks for your reply.

brainiac744, if you added the ability to add an avatar from Xbox Live, alot of Xbox360 board owners would probably purchase this mod.

This is the URL template you would need to use:

where "gamertag" would be the user's Gamertag.

Kind Regards,
Haku

Alright, first off, I've discovered the cause of the issue with the done button, and am looking for a solution now -- the workaround for now is to enable all types of avatars. Edit: 1.1.3 fixes this issue -- gizmodo, if you're still having the problem, use version 1.1.3

Second, I have a mostly working Xbox avatar setup -- using the full body with the square thumbnail.

Issues In 1.1.3
Due to a bug in IP.Board 3.2.1, the styles are not working properly. The bug report gives details on how to work around this. Will be fixed in IP.Board 3.2.2

I was able to fix this easily by going to css properties by just changing things to: [img]

[/img]

Alright, first off, I've discovered the cause of the issue with the done button, and am looking for a solution now -- the workaround for now is to enable all types of avatars. Edit: 1.1.3 fixes this issue -- gizmodo, if you're still having the problem, use version 1.1.3

Hi,

thanks indeed for this fix. I can now click on the "Done" button with the 1.1.3 version but there's another issue when choosing an image from url. I've chosen an image of 518 × 600 and when the image appear in the Photo Editor window, it overflows as shown in this picture :

%7Boption%7D

Do you think that this is an issue with your hook or with IPB?

Thanks.

Also,

what is the language key for this hook as I want to translate the text displayed publicly like "Use image from URL","Avatar from URL " and "Enter the URL of the image" but I can't find them while searching in the language pack.

Thanks for your help.

Okay, I have a fix for the css issue you have, and an update that includes language packs, and per-group settings for each avatar type added.

Please keep posting any bugs you find. [img]

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >[/img]

In version 1.1.4, languages are under core/improvedAvatars.

Thank you for the update. %7Boption%7D' alt='' class='ipsImage' > Would it be possible for you to make a per-group setting for the Gravatar avatar type as well? At the moment, it only has a global setting which can be found under System Settings > Members > User Profiles. Only having a global setting makes it impossible for the admin to offer Gravatar avatars to all member groups except the Validating member group for example.

Kind Regards,
Haku

Thank you for the update. %7Boption%7D

Would it be possible for you to make a per-group setting for the Gravatar avatar type as well? At the moment, it only has a global setting which can be found under System Settings > Members > User Profiles. Only having a global setting makes it impossible for the admin to offer Gravatar avatars to all member groups except the Validating member group for example.

Kind Regards,

Haku

Hey,

Great idea -- I'm surprised I overlooked this! It's added in 1.1.5 now for Gravatars, Facebook, and Twitter -- the way uploads work, I can't implement it the same way, but I may look into it in the future.

-Ben

Hi,

There's another issue when choosing an image from url. I've chosen an image of 518 × 600 and when the image appear in the Photo Editor window, it overflows as shown in this picture :

[img]

[/img]

Do you think that this is an issue with your hook or with IPB?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm still having this issue even on 1.1.5. The image is still overflowing outside the avatar window. Is that normal?

Oops! I forgot to update the CSS file with my changes.

You can add this to the css file (improvedAvatars.css) on your skin to fix it:

#ips_currentPhoto .ipsUserPhoto{

max-width: 150px;

height: auto;

}

I'll have a new version out that actually fixes the problem as soon as possible. I'm working on trying to implement avatar galleries as well though.

Oops! I forgot to update the CSS file with my changes.

You can add this to the css file (improvedAvatars.css) on your skin to fix it:

#ips_currentPhoto .ipsUserPhoto{

max-width: 150px;

height: auto;

}

I'll have a new version out that actually fixes the problem as soon as possible. I'm working on trying to implement avatar galleries as well though.

I have a feature suggestion. Have a custom profile field set the user's avatar. For a sport related website, for example, the profile field could be asking for the member's favorite team. It then would set the avatar as the team logo.

I would settle for the old functionality, and pay for it, that was in previous versions.

Also, will the galleries be in this product or a different product?

Thanks for this. Will give it a go. The members on my forum have had headache after headache with the system on 3.1.2. This really should be basic functionailty (allowing links to avatars on photobucket, etc), and so it seems 3.2 is somewhat of a step backwards for avatars now.

@Andrews:

I'll be releasing galleries into this product. I can't promise a date or a version before they make it in, however, as it's a bit more complicated than the rest of the options so far.

As for your feature suggestion, that's basically an avatar gallery except located in a different place? I'll see what I can do to implement it once galleries are actually in place.

Just purchased it, so good so far! :)

It would be good if you could add an update that allows it to somehow still be used if you have disabled uploading of avatars to the forum (so only externally hosted avatars work as this program allows), although not sure if that would be possible.

Archived