Suggestion for IPB 3.2... Global Sidebars

360glitch

I know it has been mentioned before but I have to say it again. I'd give about anything to have global sidebars on my forum. Right now I've got the sidebar active on the portal and forum index, but it would be VERY useful to have it on every page. (forum view, topic view, ect). I just moved a site from vB to IPB and this is the only problem I've ran into. Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion.

I haven't converted my live site yet, but this is something that all my users will freak over if they don't have. AS DDH said, it would be a lot nicer to have something built in rather than have to do it on my own.

No offense, but I'd never use it. Don't have a use for a sidebar, really.

That might be, but if you're a publisher, it's a must. Publishers are advertisement driven, thus the software that drives them must complement their needs. In the past, I used my own sidebars and then Vince's Custom Sidebar Blocks, which are awesome.

In my view, IPB has a better mouse trap and waaayyyy better customer service than VB, however, it seems that IPB is more corporate driven rather than to publishers in this one respect.

• 2 weeks later...

Just made a hook that creates a sidebar in the topic view template (most used). Any other existing hook (such as recent topics / ads) can be plugged in in this sidebar. I will try to upload it to the marketplace tonight.

please create like this http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/9410-Second-Stem-Cell-as-Success

Here it is.

Installation
Just import it as a hook and it <should> work. Have only tested it on a 3.2.0 Beta 1 board, but I suppose it will also work on other betas.

Adding hooks to this topic view sidebar
Any hooks to show in the sidebar should be added as a hook before the start of the if statement labeled scrollToPost of the topic view template.

Make sure that in the hooks section of your ACP, any hooks to be shown in the topic view sidebar are listed below the topicViewSidebar hook.

CSS
The CSS used for this topic view sidebar hook is identical to the css used by IPS for the sidebar on the board index. Changes to the CSS of the board index will also affect the topic view sidebar.

[Edit: File updated, works with 3.2.0 beta 3]

• 3 weeks later...

Same with us. We're actually considering moving one site back to Vbulleitn, and we're holding off on buying 4 more licenses for IP because of this.

We cannot survive without a flexible sidebar on ALL pages.

Isn't the "I'm gonna take my ball and go home" card a bit premature, if there's a hook available?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Isn't the "I'm gonna take my ball and go home" card a bit premature, if there's a hook available?

This "global sidebar" thing seems to be a big problem for ipb...

So i took my ball, bought a few new suite licenses form vb, and gone home ...

Sorry to see you go, however, I moved two sites off of IPB and to VB today myself because of this.

It's a killer to publishers and really to those needing better control over the sharing of information.

buh...
just buh...
you can hook a sidebar in, you can template sidebars into the globalTemplate and adjust widths to fix the bugs it causes... im confused...
Why is it seemingly so difficult to achieve this?
Seriously...
its template-ing or hooking into the existing wrapper.....
.... most hooks already do that... how is this so difficult to do?
ive done it several times(not hooked, therefore not ideal)
but really?
why is this being treated as impossible?

I would also like to see global sidebar - we used to have one before we converted and it certainly helped join various parts of the forums together.

We had our shoutbox, advert, latest topics etc., in there and people clicked on the links and jumped elsewhere on the site.

Archived