Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit the /admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/sources/classes/library.php file. Find this line:

$r['photo'] = IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto( $r, 'icon' );

Change 'icon' there to one of the other photo size values, which are: 'thumb', 'main', 'full', 'small', 'mini', 'inset', or 'icon'. Then save and upload the file.

First of all, Michael, to thank you for your answer, so quickly! :)

Secondly: I did as you said and installed it, yay!

But... it doesn't work :( It keeps us saying:

Congratulations, you have successfully installed Shoutbox!

Now you need to setup the shoutbox permissions in ACP -> Members TAB -> Manage User Groups -> Edit a Group -> Shoutbox TAB

We did set it all, everything, everywhere, recached all several times, and it doesn't work. It greets us as Guests, as if it didn't recognize us or as if we weren't logged in :(

So... Any suggestion?

I notice whenever a members change their Avatar it does not get change or refresh in the Shoutbox. A member Avatar who have a Avatar before change to another one now it turn into a Default Blank Avatar, so it not refresh or reflex the new change in Shoutbox. Have to manually go into Admin CP and re-cache the Shoutbox each time.

That's very odd, have not heard anyone say the buttons aren't working. They're standard IP.Board buttons. I really don't know what to even tell you about that...

As far as the permissions, again, I don't know what to tell you, because that's exactly what you should be doing to grant permission to this app.

There's information about how to construct the list of pages for this to show on in the Shoutbox FAQ. As far as getting it to show on IP.Content pages, it will only ever show if you're using the IP.Board wrapper. If you are, then you should be able to use the info in the FAQ to make that work, you just need to be setting either the correct app/module/section values or an appropriate $this->request value.

That would be the case if you are loading your shouts from the cache instead of the database, there's nothing I can do about that because the shoutbox cache stores what avatar image they used.

I see. What are cache and database option? and which one is best to use and which one is faster? Thanks!

I see. What are cache and database option? and which one is best to use and which one is faster? Thanks!

Look in the settings for this app, under the Shouts section, there is a setting called "Loads shouts from DB". Set that to Yes to have it query the database for the shouts to display, or No to store the shouts in a cache.

Neither is necessarily better, which is why there's a choice you can make. Loading from the database always gives you the freshest results, but it has to execute a query to do that, and queries take server resources. Loading from the cache is cheaper, resource wise, but it can mean the data is not always as up-to-date as getting it from the database.

Probably irrevelant but I think I've thought of a good idea for the shoutbox.

Think it would be great to be able to quote other members shouts. :smile:

I think if you're going to get into needing to quote each other, that that discussion probably should be a topic on the forums.

Look in the settings for this app, under the Shouts section, there is a setting called "Loads shouts from DB". Set that to Yes to have it query the database for the shouts to display, or No to store the shouts in a cache.

Neither is necessarily better, which is why there's a choice you can make. Loading from the database always gives you the freshest results, but it has to execute a query to do that, and queries take server resources. Loading from the cache is cheaper, resource wise, but it can mean the data is not always as up-to-date as getting it from the database.

I think if you're going to get into needing to quote each other, that that discussion probably should be a topic on the forums.

Very good point, damn!!!

Instead of the Quite Members, I think it is more useful to add a Reply instead to Members. On most of the shoutbox I seen and on my forums, people often use the @Name then reply, so it a nice feature if it could be done automatic reply to Member it will put @Name and their Group Color Indication.

I find this more useful then a Quote.

Hope you have plan for it.

Hi, Michael!

Just to let you know that I attempted a lot of times to run the 1.1.5 without success (and I tried everything I could think of, reinstalling the files and all). Finally, I uninstalled the whole pack, downloaded and installed the 1.1.4... and it works perfectly! Yay! :D

I don't know what happened and why, but well... we're VERY happy with this Shoutbox.

Thank you for your work! :wub:

Archived