Still no way to easily create navigation tabs

qscott86

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that there should be a feature by default that enables the addition of extra tabs. It's an odd decision by IPS to have not included such a feature yet.

I also think there should be a way to rearrange tabs across categories (e.g. so an IPS Add On app tab can appear prior to a Root Application app tab, etc.). The current layout seems unnecessarily restrictive.

I think this is definitely something to consider pushing them to do. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We made it this far guys,

It isn't hard that all to go into your default skin and do a little bit of editing, if this is hard for you, then you should have a board in the first place.

Again, that isn't the point. I can edit code, that's not hard. However, being able to create new tabs, and not only create the tabs, but set permissions, and give them children with a simple UI is very handy. I've saved a bunch of time already by being able to do the above with 5-10 clicks, instead of having to edit PHP and CSS files for each change - I don't have to worry about bugs in my code either.

The setup I have now with FusionMenu works great and I'm perfectly happy with it, but I would expect the next major update IPS makes to include this feature.

• 10 months later...

I don't know if you guys have purchased a license for IP.Content, btu the latest releases allow yoou create navigation tabs very easily, and without the need to edit any skin forum templates or by adding any code. You just point and click with your mouse in IP.Content (there's an option at the bottom of the sidebar within IP.Content, you have to log into ACP in order to do this). I used it for setting up my own navigation and it's awesome. You can even create navigation tabs that feature a drop-down menu. No more need for that "pro menu" plugin. IP.Content does that for you. lols

:lol: :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

This is a growing concern, honestly --

More people want to be admins, but want a glowing button to show them how to do something as simple as ....

<a href="{parse url="app=core&amp;module=global&amp;section=navigation&amp;inapp={parse expression="IPS_APP_COMPONENT"}" base="public"}" rel="quickNavigation" accesskey='9' id='quickNavLaunch' title='{$this->lang->words['launch_quicknav']}'><span>&nbsp;</span></a>
/* ad the code before the </li> */
<a href="the link goes here"><li>name the link</li></a>

... in look and feel > manage skin templates > pick your skin > global template

Maybe this is rough, so what, it works and it's as simple as it gets. You don't need an application to do this. There is something to be said about complexity where it should not be.

Were seeing more and more of it, now I'm not bashing the thread, but the context of the discussion itself is a bit presumptuous. Try not to be one that wants and needs , but one that does, or figures out how to do.

• 1 year later...

@Rick L

Thank you sir. You happen to be the only person "in the know" that was willing to prove the simplicity by actually providing the actual solution.

I must express my dissappointment in all of the self-proclaimed "in the know" 'coding' jockeys posting on this forum and stating their disdain at reasonably people asking reasonable questions and making reasonable suggestions. IPB should include such tips and tricks in a reference ... agree that this is not plugin worthy; however, it is a pretty common want, so it derserves a place in the IPB reference manual.

I suspect that the other nay-saying, holier-than-thou supposed js/html coders posting here actually did not know the solution themselves ... otherwise why not provide it or at least a pointer of some kind? :/

Archived