Still no way to easily create navigation tabs

qscott86

I (and others) have suggested this several times, but I still don't understand why IPB doesn't allow one to easily add custom navigation tabs/buttons (like the forums, members, etc buttons at the top). I am aware that you can edit the skin to do this, but this should be easily done through the ACP. This would be especially useful for those with IP.content integrated into their IPB installation.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I (and others) have suggested this several times, but I still don't understand why IPB doesn't allow one to easily add custom navigation tabs/buttons (like the forums, members, etc buttons at the top). I am aware that you can edit the skin to do this, but this should be easily done through the ACP. This would be especially useful for those with IP.content integrated into their IPB installation.

.... a mod exists for this already... search Fusion in the marketplace... called Fusionmenu.

.... a mod exists for this already... search Fusion in the marketplace... called Fusionmenu.

And it costs $14. We have been through this dozens of times. Every (!) other CMS provides a way to add, edit and reorder your navigation and menus, but IP.Board/IP.Content does not.

Another point is that even with Fusionmenu I can't get a subpage of IP.Content to highlight (e.g. "domain.tld/media" = IP.Content-Page) without the main IP.Content-Tab to be highlighted. Wolfie and others tried to help me but could not solve this problem. (To me it is a medium problem)

Yes it is, for you, for me, and we have no problems in doing so, but others have, as they don't know anything about code.

My special problem still wasn't solveable in IP.Content, while it was no problem solving it in TYPO3, Contao, Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress, which are, btw. free software-packages.

My special problem still wasn't solveable in IP.Content, while it was no problem solving it in TYPO3, Contao, Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress, which are, btw. free software-packages.

Everything is 'solveable' in IP.Content. You just need to think laterally about it, or, if necessary get someone else to do it for you for a price. The way I see it - I'd rather pay someone to get my problems solved with IP.Content and have full integration with the rest of my community than using a third-party 'homepage' system with no integration.

Oh yeah, and if you really solved your problem in all those other packages - you could have spent a bit more time working with IP.Content.

----------------------------------

Back to the topic in hand - I'd love to see a navigation system of some sorts built into the IP.Content core that replaces the primary_nav on IPB. Maybe even just a checkbox on an IP.Content page that allows you to 'Add to Navigation Menu' or something - just so the ability is there for those who do not want to make skin changes.

And it costs $14. We have been through this dozens of times. Every (!) other CMS provides a way to add, edit and reorder your navigation and menus, but IP.Board/IP.Content does not.

You can always implement this manually and save the $14 if the cost worries you.

Everything is 'solveable' in IP.Content. You just need to think laterally about it, or, if necessary get someone else to do it for you for a price. The way I see it - I'd rather pay someone to get my problems solved with IP.Content and have full integration with the rest of my community than using a third-party 'homepage' system with no integration.

Oh yeah, and if you really solved your problem in all those other packages - you could have spent a bit more time working with IP.Content.

----------------------------------

Back to the topic in hand - I'd love to see a navigation system of some sorts built into the IP.Content core that replaces the primary_nav on IPB. Maybe even just a checkbox on an IP.Content page that allows you to 'Add to Navigation Menu' or something - just so the ability is there for those who do not want to make skin changes.

No, it took me ~60 minutes for all those other products (e.g. wordpress, joomla, drupal...) together! (Wasn't that hard, the easiest solution is to give the "body"-tag an ID and set the menu to highlight regarding this ID) While I've been working ~6 hours on this problem back then in IP.Content before asking for help. Wolfie did a great job and did what he could but no solution worked.

It's not that I didn't try. I, personally, love IP.Content as this is the only problem I've ever faced with it (and couldn't solve). My members and staff don't, because they don't understand why they can't edit seo-links from the frontend (for example), or add menu-points (for example). But then again, this is not about IP.Content, it's about the possibility to easily create, edit and maintain a navigation, reorder the elements etc.

For me it's still no problem, but for my members and staff, and therefore I'm really unsure if I'll use IP.Products for future projects. Apart from that, I would not use IP.Board for the new projects and a third party cms, I would not use any IP. Product at all :wink:

I agree with this.the ip.products need a system editor for adding,editing links on navigation bar from ACP.long time ago i opened a topic request for this feature but with no succes,maybe if will be more requests for this ips will make us this as a gift :D

This thread truly shows ungratefulness at its finest. If you don't want to spend money and you don't want do it yourself don't expect anything to get done. In the time that you sat here complaining on the forums you could have coded it yourself. Not everything is going to be spoon fed to you. Welcome to the real world.

This thread truly shows ungratefulness at its finest. If you don't want to spend money and you don't want do it yourself don't expect anything to get done. In the time that you sat here complaining on the forums you could have coded it yourself. Not everything is going to be spoon fed to you. Welcome to the real world.

This reply truly shows how naive some of the members here are. I assume you're one of those people who think it's either black or white, never gray in between? I'm not taking any sides here but if this feature is so easy to code yourself then why can't IPS include it when several FREE solutions already include it? Not everything is just "code it yourself". Also, in the time you wrote your answer you could've actually read his replies and seen that he already have coded this for his community. Welcome to thinking-before-replying.

Ouch! How did I get my IP.Suite? Did I pay for it or did I steal it? (Although I'm currently no active customer this was a rhetoric question, I bought my package about a year ago)

Now we are not allowed to suggest features? We suggested this a while back, we have had many discussions on why some of us don't want to pay for 3rd party hooks and modifications.

Now I tell you what it is with me.
I'm not a good programmer already, not half as good as many mod-authors here. I can make small modifications, have even made a very tiny CMS myself, but generally I simply don't have the time to keep up with security-updates... that's why I don't want to add too much functionality on my own. I'm not a web-programmer after all. The reason why I don't want to use 3rd party-modifications is not the price, it's the consequences that suddenly arise if the author stops development.

This has happened way too often in past. (And it's not about the money)

Once bitten, twice shy.

I'm requesting this, and other features, so IP.Products get better for everyone that uses them. But okay, we can have everything in mods. Why does a forum need facebook? -> Mod, Why does a forum need a memberlist? Bloat -> mod! Why do we need a calendar? Bloat! -> Mod...

This thread truly shows ungratefulness at its finest. If you don't want to spend money and you don't want do it yourself don't expect anything to get done. In the time that you sat here complaining on the forums you could have coded it yourself.

not everyone has the skill and knowledge to code.
and i dont want to pay a mod depending all the time of other developer than ips.
what happens when the developer stops supporting the app?
i think it's a must this feature!

No, it took me ~60 minutes for all those other products (e.g. wordpress, joomla, drupal...) together! (Wasn't that hard, the easiest solution is to give the "body"-tag an ID and set the menu to highlight regarding this ID) While I've been working ~6 hours on this problem back then in IP.Content before asking for help. Wolfie did a great job and did what he could but no solution worked.

It's not that I didn't try. I, personally, love IP.Content as this is the only problem I've ever faced with it (and couldn't solve). My members and staff don't, because they don't understand why they can't edit seo-links from the frontend (for example), or add menu-points (for example). But then again, this is not about IP.Content, it's about the possibility to easily create, edit and maintain a navigation, reorder the elements etc.

For me it's still no problem, but for my members and staff, and therefore I'm really unsure if I'll use IP.Products for future projects. Apart from that, I would not use IP.Board for the new projects and a third party cms, I would not use any IP. Product at all :wink:

>.< I'll State the entire Suggestion Has Merit... But REALLY?? Its NOT that difficult to make the right tab highlight... in fact its a 1-liner js.

>.< I'll State the entire Suggestion Has Merit... But REALLY?? Its NOT that difficult to make the right tab highlight... in fact its a 1-liner js.

Possible, I don't use JS apart from "gadgetry". In my eyes JS, a script-language that has way too much power within the browser and is used as a maleware-catapult, should never be used to make a layout functioning nor for navigation-stuff like this.

Maybe it's my universitary surroundings but I use a JS-blocker for every single site. If I trust a site I allow it, first temporarily, later definitely. This is one click and I do it on Windows as well as Linux.
Apart from that, I'm diving into JS and JQuery right now ;) The highlighting should still be possible via css and html alone, like with any other application I used it.

(As I said, give the body an ID and highlight the menu according to the ID... easy as that, but not possible in IP.Content, at least if you use the wrapper, but I'm not quite sure if it was possible without, I simply can't remember)

Possible, I don't use JS apart from "gadgetry". In my eyes JS, a script-language that has way too much power within the browser and is used as a maleware-catapult, should never be used to make a layout functioning nor for navigation-stuff like this.

Maybe it's my universitary surroundings but I use a JS-blocker for every single site. If I trust a site I allow it, first temporarily, later definitely. This is one click and I do it on Windows as well as Linux.

Apart from that, I'm diving into JS and JQuery right now :wink: The highlighting should still be possible via css and html alone, like with any other application I used it.

(As I said, give the body an ID and highlight the menu according to the ID... easy as that, but not possible in IP.Content, at least if you use the wrapper, but I'm not quite sure if it was possible without, I simply can't remember)

http://invisionfocus.com/tutorials/article/118-ipcontent-home-tab-on-left-side/
no Jquery needed.

http://invisionfocus...b-on-left-side/

no Jquery needed.

Thank you very much. This is a new article from May 25, 2011, so a year back it wasn't available. Should give it a try someday :smile:
Apart from that I won't give up hoping that the next version of IP.Content is somewhat easier to use (out of the box) for my members, just like Joomla and Co. They don't need to program, they just want to add and edit Articles but all from the frontend, with setting links in the corresponding menues etc.

If every other CMS was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?

/mom voice

If my customers want my product to? Yes!
If I wanted to compete? Yes!

Excuse me, who are you to be saying that? I can suggest a feature just as anyone else can. This particular feature has been requested by several and I've seen it in several threads. As others have mentioned, if it's so easy to code, then why not make IPB more user friendly by them adding this feature?

As for others who say you can change the header code -- of course you can. My point is that adding links and navigation should be easy as making a change in the ACP -- it shouldn't require one to update the header code each time they want to add another page link. It should be just an intuitive as adding a new forum.

There's nothing ungrateful about it -- I paid the license fee and I pay the recurring license fee and I have a right to suggest features. I think the ungrateful people are the one going around whining because a button isn't the color they want or isn't in the location they want or other skin related issues.

Navigation tabs is something that contains the board basic navigation and any hooks that you install that requires to be there.
Now the question is: What else should be there and who would needs it?

Well other things that could be there include links because anything else would be added automatically like hooks. So now we know that the only thing that could be there are links...something maybe like Social Engines and a drop down to Facebook, Twitter etc.
Now the point is that not all board admins will need this and thus it is better left to custom coding.

Why?

Because if you start providing a means to add as many menus/tabs as you want you start adding things that the basic boards do not need. Second, how do you deal with 20 tabs? Do they do in a second line? Are they replaced by a "more" button/drop down? If you start giving a way to mess with how many menus/tabs there are you will have people adding "About - Contact" and tons of other links to things unrelated to the forums and better left to the website part of it and not the forums navigation.

My 2 cents

Archived