Media Button Removed?

Chito

I tried searching for a specific topic about this, but couldn't find any. So if this has already been brought up, then I apologize and if needed, delete this topic.

If not, then my suggestion is mainly about bringing back the 'Media' button to the editors immediate menu. I understand it's in the 'Special BBCode Menu', but it takes 3 extra clicks to begin using it. My members, as well as myself, use the Media BBCode just as much as we use the IMG BBCode, so it would help us tremendously if the Media BBCode was put back along with the others just like it is in 3.1.4, see screenshot below:

%7Boption%7D

I'm pretty sure there's more than enough room to add one more extra button as the red arrows show in screenshot below:

%7Boption%7D

Not a huge concern, but it would be nice and convenient and my members, as well as myself would greatly appreciate it. :smile:

You don't need the media button on 3.2 - it automatically translates the URL

Below I just pasted

and it put in the tags automatically. [media]

[/code]

[/media]

You sure you ain't doing anything else? Cause I did the same with no results. How's the system going to know it's automatically a Youtube video clip if you don't give it a clue with the 'Media' tags?

I just tried it the way you say and nothing but the link show. Example below::

http://www.youtube.c..._embedded#at=52

That one will fail because it has some code after the alphanumeric link.

I just noticed that it works with some Youtube videos, while not with others. Here's another sample that won't work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJIGC90liAE

That one 'should' work, but I also find some links fail even on 3.1.4 - and so far I have no idea why

Shame the media button has been moved. it is still there but under the Special BBCode button, which makes it somewhat harder to enable as people will not know whether to go for the media option or the shared media option, even if they get that far.

Actually... would be awesome if we could kinda customize the editor (by adding/removing buttons and/or re-arranging it).

Just a thought.

Actually you can although a "little" tricky as I have already done it be sure to have a backup copy handy just in case you need to refer to it or replace it

Download and open public/js/3rd_party/ckeditor/ips_config.js

I have changed the code in red to suit my forum as you can see from the original I have removed many unneeded buttons.

/* Only use font-sizes we recognize */

config.fontSize_sizes = [color=#ff0000]'10/10px;12/12px;14/14px;18/18px';[/color]

/* Register our custom plug ins */

if ( inACP )

{

config.extraPlugins = [color=#ff0000]'ipsquote,ipsoptions';[/color]

}

else

{

config.extraPlugins = [color=#ff0000]'ipsquote,ipsautosave,ipsswitch,ipsemoticon';[/color]

}

config.disableNativeSpellChecker = false;

/* Define tool bars */

config.toolbar = new Array( 'ipsfull', 'ipsmini' );

config.toolbar_ipsfull =

[color=#ff0000] [/color][color=#ff0000][[/color]

[color=#ff0000] ['Bold', '-', 'Italic', '-', 'Underline', '-', 'Link', '-',],[/color]

[color=#ff0000] ['Ipsemoticon', '-', 'Ipsquote', '-', 'Font', 'FontSize', '-', 'TextColor', '-', ], [/color]

[color=#ff0000] ['Ipsswitch', '-',] [/color]

[color=#ff0000] ];[/color]

config.toolbar_ipsmini =

[color=#ff0000] [/color][color=#ff0000] [[/color]

[color=#ff0000] ['Bold', '-', 'Italic', '-', 'Underline', '-', 'Link', '-',],[/color]

[color=#ff0000] ['Ipsemoticon', '-', 'Ipsquote', '-', 'Font', 'FontSize', '-', 'TextColor', '-', ], [/color]

[color=#ff0000] ['Ipsswitch', '-',] [/color]

[color=#ff0000] ];[/color]

}

Here is a link for the usable buttons although not all of them work http://docs.cksource...s_Guide/Toolbar

Shame the media button has been moved. it is still there but under the Special BBCode button, which makes it somewhat harder to enable as people will not know whether to go for the media option or the shared media option, even if they get that far.

Exactly, which means that it will be yet another short tutorial I will have to write up for my members in order for them to know where exactly the Media button is located. I'm 110% sure they will complain to me why it's been moved once we decide to upgrade. This can very easily be solved if IPS were to add it back in that row with the others. *cough* IPS? :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Test.

Edit: Nope, doesn't work for the links given by the share button.

I think most people hit the "share" button on YouTube, so it would be great if ip.board would automatically add tags to this type of line.

Since the useless 'Twitter' button is still on the menu, can we assume that it will be possible to add our own buttons in 3.2, like we can in 3.1, and, therefore, we may be able to put the 'Media' button back in on our own? :huh:

Edit: Woops! I guess the 'Twitter' button is no longer just the 'Twitter' button. Hmmm. That's going to be a tad confusing, don't you think? Won't most users assume that it's for 'Twitter' (hell, that's all it says when you float your cursor over it) and simply ignore it? :huh:

Since the useless 'Twitter' button is still on the menu, can we assume that it will be possible to add our own buttons in 3.2, like we can in 3.1, and, therefore, we may be able to put the 'Media' button back in on our own? :huh:

That's not a bad idea.

I still say there's plenty of room left in that row to bring back the 'Media' button regardless though.

Well, if the automatic recognition of youtube links worked then we wouldn't need the button. So yeah, either fix it or bring back the button. Another stepback otherwise.

Woops! I guess the 'Twitter' button is no longer just the 'Twitter' button. Hmmm. That's going to be a tad confusing, don't you think? Won't most users assume that it's for 'Twitter' (hell, that's all it says when you float your cursor over it) and simply ignore it?

I never actually used it. What is the difference now?

I never actually used it. What is the difference now?

In 3.1, the 'Twitter' button produced [twitter] tags that put an @ in front of someone's name and linked to their Twitter page. In 3.2, the 'Twitter' button is a pop-up BBCode menu with 'Twitter' as the default.

Not only do I not use the Twitter button, I don't even have a Twitter account, since I have no real use for it. You can almost basically do the same with Facebook's 'Wall' feature, except for a very slight difference. I still say the Media button should either replace the Twitter button or at least bring it back.

• 1 month later...

If you add an icon to the media tag (the icon needs to be uploaded into the 'public\style_extra\bbcode_icons' directory), it shows up before the Twitter icon. The bad part is, if you type your link out and then click that button, the overlay comes up blank.

Thus you need to click the button and paste the link contents into the content field. Definitely annoying! Would like to know if they plan on addressing this.

If you add an icon to the media tag (the icon needs to be uploaded into the 'public\style_extra\bbcode_icons' directory), it shows up before the Twitter icon. The bad part is, if you type your link out and then click that button, the overlay comes up blank.

Thus you need to click the button and paste the link contents into the content field. Definitely annoying! Would like to know if they plan on addressing this.

All that would've easily been avoided if only IPS left the Media button there like it is in 3.1.4. Seriously, what was the point in removing it to begin with? It's not like it was taking up precious space. As Chito pointed out, there's plenty of room in that row.

Sadly I cannot see many of my members using the special bbcode button, and to be honest I do not think many will know what the media dropdown option would be for anyway - if it say YouTube then people might use it. Appreciate we would then need a duplicate for other media etc.

And when I go back through posts to enter a youtube inline when the software has not created it, I would rather click one button than go through a menu hunting for it.

So my wish would be a dedicated YouTube button which is a one click option, jut like the dedicated one click Twitter button.

Archived