Username hover card under topic link is extremely annoying

Darksbane0

It's about usability. When clicking through to a forum from the index page, a user should be able to scroll up and down the topic list and easily click on a topic of interest to them. Why should a user need to move their mouse / pointer a few centimetres to the right to avoid hovercards? (or for that matter, why should they have to move their pointer over to the right to get to something useful - the topic preview, when a more intuitive position for it would be to immediately to the left of the topic title. But that's probably an argument for another topic)

*sigh* Prooves how lazy technology makes people. Seriously, I'll say no more.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure how hard I need to facepalm at this thread now.

Guys... hovers are a helpful functionality as they save having to CLICK and LEAVE the page to get information. If you don t understand that this is a usability improvement as it reduces the number of clicks you need to navigate content then there is no point really debating it. How many people installed the Hover hook that Matt made? I know I grabbed it as soon as I saw it because it SAVES having to click and load a thread to get the first post.

I get it, you don t like hovers. Its not an issue for the vast majority of people and you are in the minority. This is an improved functionality that saves clicks. If you do not like it turn it off in the code.

Guys... hovers are a helpful functionality as they save having to CLICK and LEAVE the page to get information. If you don t understand that this is a usability improvement as it reduces the number of clicks you need to navigate content then there is no point really debating it. How many people installed the Hover hook that Matt made? I know I grabbed it as soon as I saw it because it SAVES having to click and load a thread to get the first post.

I'm not talking about clicking to leave a page. I don't think there is a need to change the popup which currently shows at all, just how it is triggered. Neither am I talking about hovering to view threads, which is what you want to look at 99% of the time you are browsing the threads in a forum. What I'm suggesting is that the user hover card popup right below the thread names limits usability because generally no one really cares to see the limited information which the card shows when they are trying to read through the thread titles. If on the rare occasions you do want some more information about a thread starter I don't think it is extreme in that one case to make a user click to show the hover popup. The username in that area is generally not the focus of that page so having such easily triggered popups which don't help you browse the threads actually limits usability and can make for a frustrating time.

I get it, you don t like hovers. Its not an issue for the vast majority of people and you are in the minority. This is an improved functionality that saves clicks. If you do not like it turn it off in the code.

I never said I don't like hover, I said I don't like the hover card that pops up from the username just below the thread title. I'm perfectly fine with hovers in other areas. I was trying to offer my view on a portion of the board which I feel could use another usability pass to prevent potentially annoying some users. If it is left like that I will turn off the hover for that username in a heartbeat.

I'm mostly with Darksbase on this one. Granted, I spend way too much time here, but I also get this popping up on me a lot. Yes, I know why it popped up and how to get rid of it, but it's a jarring experience when it happens and it takes me out of the mindset I was in when I was looking at the list of topics. I don't think there should be these popups that could occur if your mouse is 10px or so below a topic title accidentally. The topic starter font is such a light color anyway that I hardly ever notice who started a topic, but I'm painfully reminded of who it was if I'm not careful with my mouse.

I'm mostly with Darksbase on this one. Granted, I spend way too much time here, but I also get this popping up on me a lot. Yes, I know why it popped up and how to get rid of it, but it's a jarring experience when it happens and it takes me out of the mindset I was in when I was looking at the list of topics. I don't think there should be these popups that could occur if your mouse is 10px or so below a topic title accidentally. The topic starter font is such a light color anyway that I hardly ever notice who started a topic, but I'm painfully reminded of who it was if I'm not careful with my mouse.

OK, hook time to put it back like it was so you have to click on the username if you want to see the card??? :drool:

read the template edit again... have to make the link return false.

Yep, checked it all and exactly correct, still the card briefly pops up (just the border of it) and goes directly to the profile page. Also re-cached everything and did a ctrl+F5

hrmm, try this(if it resolves i'll twitch resource)

replace:

href='{parse url="showuser={$member['member_id']}" template="showuser" seotitle="{$member['members_seo_name']}" base="public"}'

with

href='#'

That's going to break the link for everyone with JS disabled.

why i was avoiding it...trying to figure why the method i'm running isnt working there.

That's going to break the link for everyone with JS disabled.

full template code im using thats working...

<if test="hasMemberId:|:$member['member_id']">

<a hovercard-ref="member" hovercard-id="{$member['member_id']}" class="_hovertrigger url fn" href='{parse url="showuser={$member['member_id']}" template="showuser" seotitle="{$member['members_seo_name']}" base="public"}' onclick="return false;" title='{$this->lang->words['view_profile']}'>

</if>

{$member['members_display_name']}

<if test="hasMemberIdClose:|:$member['member_id']">

</a></if>

someone else throw a test at this?

Btw.. you should probably be able to block the script loading the profile page using a "Event.Stop()" call in the JS file without having to modify the template at all.

something like this which is used slightly differently throughout the script?

Event.stopObserving( $( elem.id ), 'click' );

having trouble locating just where it needs it though... added to mClick and the initial function ... no avail.

I dunno but these threads are annoying me. Looking at Charles intentions for 3.2 it is to modernize the package yet everyday I log in and see another thing removed by a hook. Its like everyone is turning this into 3.1.4 with ajax.

Getting annoying for me and I am sure the staff who worked hard on this are a little downhearted also but that's my 2 cents and I don't want to argue with anyone about it.

I dunno but these threads are annoying me. Looking at Charles intentions for 3.2 it is to modernize the package yet everyday I log in and see another thing removed by a hook. Its like everyone is turning this into 3.1.4 with ajax.

Getting annoying for me and I am sure the staff who worked hard on this are a little downhearted also but that's my 2 cents and I don't want to argue with anyone about it.

We are simply Trying to Provide options To the customers, which is What the mod community DOES, no need to be hostile...
This one has been sorted with http://community.inv...41908-rsyvarth/ Rsyvarths help.... updating resource article shortly.
Updated:
http://community.inv...r-to-click-r561

I dont see the problem, there is even transparency put in there and the box is above the topic title so one can still read the title.

Would you prefer the popup to be higher?

So what is that pinned thread title just above then?

As I've said, this isn't me intentionally triggering the popup, it is accidental and it covers over things I'm reading.

Archived