Username hover card under topic link is extremely annoying

Darksbane0

Has anyone else found this to be extremely distracting and annoying. Most times when browsing the topic list I will have my mouse over near that side of the screen and many times I'll get a user card popup without intending it. I think for usernames under the topic link the hover should be removed and changed to a click.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its too close to the "last post" link imo
would work better if it was linked to the avatar rather than its current trigger

in fact would suggest could be better if both members name and date could be the "last post" link and avatar as the profile link ?

I'll give an example then to show why this is annoying for me.

Initially I click on the IPBoard link on the main forum page
post-187503-0-06482700-1308071868_thumb.
Note where my cursor is

then that brings me to the topic page
post-187503-0-10750100-1308071901_thumb.
with my cursor in the perfect position for me to use the scroll wheel and scroll down and accidently mouse over the user name and pop up the hover card.

Not really an issue as the vast majority of people I assume are moving their mouse after clicks hence why this function has a delay until it pops up.
The pop up takes almost 2 sec to start...I don t see this as being an issue as the position of your mouse on the screen can not be predicted hence the only way to fix this issue for you would be to force a click instead of a hover function.

Less clicks is better. To avoid accidental hovers you can set your delay to a longer time so that this issue would be fixed on your board.

Has anyone else found this to be extremely distracting and annoying. Most times when browsing the topic list I will have my mouse over near that side of the screen and many times I'll get a user card popup without intending it. I think for usernames under the topic link the hover should be removed and changed to a click.

Agree

I totally love this hover option.

I think it adds a sense of community to the board by showing what the other person is reading/doing as well as displaying their most recent status update. Encouraging people to use the status update I think is essential.

So thanks Matt. You rock.

OP: I can understand it must be very hard for you to move the mouse a couple of centimeters to the right.... but not everybody's like that :smile:

It's about usability. When clicking through to a forum from the index page, a user should be able to scroll up and down the topic list and easily click on a topic of interest to them. Why should a user need to move their mouse / pointer a few centimetres to the right to avoid hovercards? (or for that matter, why should they have to move their pointer over to the right to get to something useful - the topic preview, when a more intuitive position for it would be to immediately to the left of the topic title. But that's probably an argument for another topic)

Why do you scroll to move the cursor? The scroll is far less precise than actually moving the mouse.
Scrolling is for moving up and down on the page, moving the mouse is for moving the cursor on the current scrollwindow.

Scroll is NOT for moving the cursor. If you've learned to browse like that then I'm sorry for you.

OP: I can understand it must be very hard for you to move the mouse a couple of centimeters to the right.... but not everybody's like that :smile:

Right because it is much better to train everyone that leaving their mouse in the same position on the screen causes annoying unwanted popups. But really why say anything constructive when you can just post an insult...

Why do you scroll to move the cursor? The scroll is far less precise than actually moving the mouse.

Scrolling is for moving up and down on the page, moving the mouse is for moving the cursor on the current scrollwindow.

Scroll is NOT for moving the cursor. If you've learned to browse like that then I'm sorry for you.

* sigh * No one is scrolling to move the cursor. I leave my cursor in the same position it was when I initially load the page. that position is right in line with the user names under the topic title. Then when I scroll up and down the page my cursor will sometimes land on those usernames and trigger a popup.

Thanks for that lesson in how to use a mouse. I do sort of know what I'm talking about though, what with having a background in human factors and observing how people interact with websites as part of my day job. ;)

You have more than enough time to move it away in the unlikely event that the cursor would land on a member-link.
Like I said, personally I have never triggered a popup unintentionally and I find it hard to believe you do this so often that you find it annoying enough to create a feedback topic about it if you're browsing normally.

So what, you instead think that I'm just posting this for fun? Yeah I'm really loving getting snarky comments from people telling me that I'm lazy for not moving my cursor and that I don't know how to use a mouse...

I'm not looking at my cursor when the popup happens, I'm reading the thread titles and then poof I get a popup in my face. And yes no matter how hard you find it to believe this happens to me quite often.

Strange how you all of a sudden get all defensive.
What I said was that I _PERSONALLY_ have no problems with this feature. That means ME, not you.

Perhaps they can integrate an option then to toggle between either clickable links or hoverable links.
In either case, I don't mind.

Archived