Adriano Faria

Global Forum Message

460 posts in this topic

thumb-9364e74006412422f7c0e95d5191a2e6-s

File Name: Global Forum Message

File Submitter: Adriano Faria

File Submitted: 26 May 2009

File Category: Integration

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.1.x, IP.Board 3.2.x, IP.Board 3.3.x, IP.Board 3.4.x

A quick little hook that will enable you to have a simple global message showing at the top of your forums. You can turn the message on and off, specify which group(s) can see the message, which page the message displays on, and specify the text of the message to show using IP.Board's editor. You can display the message on all pages, or set either a whitelist or blacklist of pages to show it on, along with support for wildcards in the URLs of the pages to show/hide the message on.

Notes:

• Now you can set a different message per group and still use the global message (old setting).
  • The following settings are common to both types of messages (old setting and group messages): Page list type, Page List and Print the page location value on the page?

Click here to download this file

TCB and Mascarada like this

I'm not sure what to tell you, that's some issue with this mod conflicting with whatever third-party skin you're using I guess. I designed this mod for use with the default IP.Board skin and it works well with that. You'll probably want to ask the author of this skin why it does that on his/her skin.

Nothing of any consequence changed in this update, just added some template hook tags and bumped the version up to 1.0.0. No real reason to upgrade if you are still on 0.9.6. :)

I have interesting suggestion: There could more boxes for global forum messages and they could be randomly generated on board. It is good for introduction of modules (best valid for new members), for example:

We have blogs. Write your first entry!

Do you like photos? Ceate your albums in our gallery!

Shoutbox is online! Join now!

Sigh, it seems I will never stop getting requests that want to turn this from a simple mod to display a quick message to your members into some monstrous behemoth of an app with 17 thousand different messages for different criteria on different pages. No, people, this is a hook to display a single message. If you want something bigger, request a new mod in the appropriate forum, or write your own.

I do understand that this is just a simple mod Michael, BUT I have a suggestion or a question, depends on whether what I ask about works or not.

Because Ive seen that I can choose to show it on all pages or the pages I specify, BUT I cant get it to just show on all category-sites for example. I tried: /?showtopic=* and just /?showtopic= to see if I could get it to display in all topics, but no other place. Is this possible?

Toggle the setting "Print the page location value on the page?" and go to the page you want to show the message on. Take the value it gives you and add it into the "Page(s) to show the Message on" setting list. Turn off the first setting when you have this set.

kooh likes this

I understand that but is it possible to do: showforum=* instead of:
showforum=1, showforum=2, showforum=3, showforum=4, (...) showforum=17, etc.?

No, it's not set to support wildcards like that, it's only going to look for exact matches. It'd be something good to try for a future version, though.

Hey Michael, thanks for this, I think its cool.

I have a stupid question here

I have ipb 3.05, I loaded this up and made and edit my settings. I am looking where I would make a announcement. My default announcement is at the top left of forum next to "mod tools" "ip look up" ETC.

I am trying to test this and can not find where to make this happen.

I know dumb but ...

Thanks for your hard work
Peter

All the controls for this hook are on its settings page in the Admin CP. Set the text you want to display using the 'Message Text' setting, and set the pages you want it to display on, and the groups to show it to.

ok thanks

The hook states enter "*" to show on all pages, I did this, I entered a small test note and I dont see this coming up. I have all setting right.

My bad, I assumed the admin would see everything and did not choose admin, just Members.

She is working good now, thanks for you work and kind patience with a newbie :thumbsup:

Nothing of consequence updated, just some cleanup. No need to redownload. :)

Hook works great! I've been looking for something like this for a while and didn't know this existed. Thank you!

yup this is a hook I could not live without, I've been using it for months without any issues :D

I used this on my 3.05 board but now that I upgraded it runs ok but as soon as you switch to a different skin it disappears completely. I than have to go back and do it all over again. I even recached all my skins and it still does it. Had to disable the hook. Any suggestions.Never mind, got it working.

would it be possible to add multiple messages within the admin cp so then it shows random on the forums so everytime a member refreshed or change page it shows one of the other messages instead of just the one all the time..?

just an idea....
thanks

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/295231-download-im-global-forum-message-100/page__view__findpost__p__1890283

thanks for that.. i cant write your own so will just have to hope someone does something like this..