Voice your opinions (Change IPB 3.2 Now)

XiuzSu

I have to agree with the second post concerning feedback on 3.2

The majority of people giving feedback will be people who are unhappy with it. People like myself who are completely happy with it very rarely voice thier opinions as it is usually not needed.

At the end of the day, i do not think IPS is going "backward" with 3.2 but quite the opposite. Things like ditching icons for replying etc... Just look at facebook and count how many icons they have on there... Yes i undetstand facebook is not a forum, but its a very successful platform. People can see past pretty images these days and they want genuine functionality. Just look at how sites have rid themselves of animated GIFs over the years.

And you are probably totally correct - the issue is humans do not like change.

Whilst the lack of externally hosted avatars / pictures is a pain as is the lack of the ability to have a library of badges, it is not the end of the world and people will still post because they want to do so - and the new version of IPB makes that so much easier.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've quoted what I believe to be the basics that should not have been removed.

I should be able to configure these features on my forum and have the choice of whether to use them or not, without the need for custom modifications/hooks.

I think that deleting this was unnecessary, the images are already in the board, and they could of been used by anyone while lowering bandwidth (since you now force them to upload them to the board).

Linked Avatars: (Add)

IPB no longer allows users to use externally-hosted avatars. This pretty much forces users to waste disk space and bandwidth, which is a big deal in big boards. Some of the boards I've been on don't allow the uploading of avatars for this reason. And, yes, the users could use Gravatar, but why force users to use a third-party service which I don't even use myself? That just adds more steps to be taken just to use an externally-hosted avatar. I don't even think you can specify avatars for individual sites using Gravatar. Furthermore, users can no longer use dynamic avatars regardless whether they use Gravatar or not.

Animated Avatars: (Add)

Most of the members think... "Well now we are going backwards".

We all know that during the very few days of IPB 3.2 Beta testing there where a few members using flashing avatars, they where quiet annoying I will agree to say but was this your only reason? Please note that any forum moderator is able to remove an avatar, if in any community this was not allowed moderators have the power to remove them.

Now because of this incident you are stopping a ridiculous number of non-annoying GIF(Animated avatars).

A forum software should allow decisions to be made by the forum administrator, based on the community and content.

I love IPB 3.2, I think it's a great improvement but some of the decisions really are questionable.

Regarding the avatars, I'd be happy with a compromise of allowing a URL to be copied/pasted into a textbox and then that copied locally to the server without the member having to downloadit from the Internet first.

Animated avatars... well, I can see why they were removed, but do they not play correctly in profiles? I'd be tempted to put this down to a PHP limitation as it cannot handle multiple-frames when an image is resized (the one you see everywhere else)

OP instead of making broad generalization by saying the community WANTS something back how about making polls instead?
I certainly don t want animated avatars back so I have to disagree with your assessment here.

Make a poll and don t generalize on the first post

EDIT: lol I just noticed you failed to find the ACP drop down useful. I would recommend you stop posting as you clearly have no idea what some of us think :smile:
Again...if you want feedback, make a poll and stop generalizing again. What IPB did is excellent, clean and efficient. If you prefer the previous version then do not upgrade.
I really wish the Dislike function was on :)

Regards

Well then since no one here seem to agree with me regarding these problem (aside than 15-20 people) then excuse me.
Sorry for making a list, didn't know that would make things harder as I only try to make them simpler to point out.
Some of you are reading things thinking this are only my thoughts, and you are wrong.
But I for one will not be upgrading to 3.2 nor renewing my license unless these things are taken care of.

As topic creator I wish this to be closed/removed.

I love it when people try to make their arguments bigger by implying that they have everybody at their back.

As for me, I would like topic descriptions stay gone. Online images should come back. The APC panel is looking awesome! :)

IPB 3.2 seems like the best IPB I've ever seen :)

Iam running a Board with 24,454 Members and 1,170,254 Posts.
At the moment i waste about 50GB per month of Bandwith, Now that Avatar are Hosted on our own server... Bandwith will grow... Thats NOT good.

Also, many, and i say, many, of my Active Members, uses Animated Avatars.
Just tell me, what will i say to them? Animated Avatar no more?
My members will not blame Invision, they will blame me...

You guys are not seing the big picture :wacko:

@ XiuzSu

I do not think you can fairly speak for everyone (sorry).

However, I do personally (for myself) agree with your list... With the exception that I like the 3.2 theme better than the 3.1 theme. As a compromise, it would be nice of Invision to release an updated 3.1 theme (style) for those who wanted it. I would imagine it would not be to hard.

As a further compromise... I would like to see everything in your list as an "option"..... I truly think Webmasters & Administrators should have more control over their own sites and what features they wish to use -vs- having Invision or anyone else telling them or limiting them to someone else's standards.

At the moment i waste about 50GB per month of Bandwith, Now that Avatar are Hosted on our own server... Bandwith will grow... Thats NOT good.

I will also face the same issue, if I upgraded. Which at the moment I won't be, I see nothing in 3.2 that warrants upgrading. Just ballache and narked off members.

If you follow the Tracker, you'd realize IPS actually thought animated avatars should work in Topic view (but they're not because of a bug) and it should be fixed untill the final release (or maybe even earlier then that).

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-31049-animated-avatar/page__view__findpost__p__119445

At first terabyte said it was not a bug.

I believe he was refering to the board index view and how it indeed was intended for avatars not to be animated there (which I fully agree with). I'm quite confident they'll fix the bug for the topic view though.

@

XiuzSu

However, I do personally (for myself) agree with your list... With the exception that I like the 3.2 theme better than the 3.1 theme. As a compromise, it would be nice of Invision to release an updated 3.1 theme (style) for those who wanted it. I would imagine it would not be to hard.

Options are good. I know they tried the theme idea before when people wanted the older theme back, I think you can still find that in the market too. The skin called the Pro skin had the same issue.

For me I try to stay way from the skin it comes with and either make my own or download one.

Uggh... didn't even know they removed all the stuff with avatars...

Also see... the end users of the forums software are not IPS clients but users of IPS clients boards. People who say removing this or that wont make big change... well I guess your board is small because on big boards any little change will be disliked by someone.

For peoples quoting my post and saying "My board is big and my forum users wont care about this or that.", its all about users dedication and the time they have spent on forums. For example my community is 7 years old and I know my forum users will be pissed of a lot for removing animated avatars and topic descriptions and they probably don't like new editor as well (no pseudo code buttons) because they are used with the old stuff. Imagine using topic descriptions for 7 years and then poof its gone. This will give hit to my community so I have to see if I am upgrading at all to IPB 3.2.0 or start using other bulletin board software.

When I first saw IPB 3.2.0 it looked so good because it is so clean and simplified but now when i touched it myself I see lots of stuff removed and less things added.

Regarding the avatars, I'd be happy with a compromise of allowing a URL to be copied/pasted into a textbox and then that copied locally to the server without the member having to downloadit from the Internet first.

Animated avatars... well, I can see why they were removed, but do they not play correctly in profiles? I'd be tempted to put this down to a PHP limitation as it cannot handle multiple-frames when an image is resized (the one you see everywhere else)

I'd put it down to GD2 lib because IPB uses php-gd2.

@

XiuzSu

I'm not speaking for everyone, just the ones who have posted wanting these things back.
And regarding the skin and such, I wasn't trying to make it sound like a "this or that" war, just for IPB to give us the option to set things how we want it.

All the things listed in the original thread of this post are things I am glad are gone or don't care about.

These non-specific suggestion threads don't help give IPS alternatives, ideas, or easy to read feedback. This thread starts off on many things and bounces all over the place.

Archived