3.2 Disable/Enable fast reply gone?

Genestoy

So many things was remove make me don't want to upgrade when the final version come out. :no:

We're of the opinion that no admin would want to make it more difficult to users to post on their board. Is there a reason you'd want to disable fast reply in particular forums?

We're of the opinion that no admin would want to make it more difficult to users to post on their board. Is there a reason you'd want to disable fast reply in particular forums?

Yes i used it in some forums and in others i don't for personal reasons, oh well guess IPS got do what they got do even if some customers like my self don't like it.PZ

Yes i used it in some forums and in others i don't for personal reasons, oh well guess IPS got do what they got do even if some customers like my self don't like it.PZ

Care to specify what reasons? Personally I see no reasons myself either and I'm in agreement with Rikki.

Maybe you could tell us what these personal reasons are? The old fashioned "Reply to this topic" button is still there, so if a member really doesn't want to use quick reply, they can still load a new page. Having quick reply in some forums but not others actually seems less intuitive than removing it altogether because your members have to get used to replying to threads in two different ways.

If by chance you remove it in some forums just so you can get more ad impressions (Yes I've heard that before), there are better ways.

the reason i had turned off fast reply is not knowing who a reply is replying to --- the original poster or the 5th person or the 8th person - not everyone uses "quotes".

sometimes the user makes a fast reply (guilty myself) and they don't realize there are 2 or 3 extra pages and a few dozen unseen posts.

if there was a "REPLY" button on each post, and this Fast Reply box showed up inline between posts, and my comment gets added to the very end of the thread and had the phrase:

In reply to UserName, post #8 - Posted 5 minutes ago

The username would be a link or hover for their details and the #8 would be a link to jump to that post.

Stephen

Well the main reason is that most of my members are posting uploaded images/photos and they are mostly seniors and I had to disable the fast reply because of all the PM's I was getting even though there was the more options button. With the full editor all problems ceased. I have tried skinning it out of the topic view template in 3.2 with no good results as the "Quote" & "Multiquote" don't work anymore if skinned out, so if you please let me know "exactly" how to do that it would help as I don't want the fast reply at all..

If most people use fast reply, others will not know who is writing a post since it only shows that status when using the full editor.
At least let u sknow how to disable the fast reply and make full editor the default for everything.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but I need to ask -- did anyone find the best way to get rid of quick reply??

I'm attempting to migrate our large forum off vB, but this is an absolute block for us.

As Genestoy mentioned above, if you run a community with lots of senior citizens as we do, having them press one extra button to post is no price to pay at all -- compared to the organizational nightmare of quick reply. So any help would be appreciated.

• Management

There is no longer the concept of "quick reply" as that is an old way of thinking. What used to be "quick reply" is now a full reply box. What used to be the full reply screen is "more reply options" which presents things like file attachments and a few other tidbits that aren't used as often when making a reply.

How is it an organizational nightmare? If a member replies in the box at the bottom of the page or in a box on a page by itself the end result is the same.

There is no longer the concept of "quick reply" as that is an old way of thinking. What used to be "quick reply" is now a full reply box. What used to be the full reply screen is "more reply options" which presents things like file attachments and a few other tidbits that aren't used as often when making a reply.

How is it an organizational nightmare? If a member replies in the box at the bottom of the page or in a box on a page by itself the end result is the same.

:) Should add attachments to the quick reply. :)

You know how to use it properly, I know how to use it properly, but try doing some user testing with people 70+ -- you would be shocked!

Having a multitude of interface options routinely leads them to disaster. Having 3 ways to reply -- quote, multiquote, the box at the bottom, simply doesn't work well for them.

So what we currently do is really restrict how they can reply -- the whole idea of 'multiquote' is gone, and so is a quickreply box. When people want to click 'reply', there is one button at the bottom of each post -- REPLY. By default, the button sucks in a quote from the message they are replying to.

And it goes without saying that the reply box is simplified -- but one thing we do have prominently is the "UPLOAD FILES" box where they can see it -- not hidden behind other buttons. (in fact, I think for most people on our site, you could kill 90% of CK's interface buttons, but just leave 'link' and 'upload files' and they'd be happier than having the mess of UI options.)

vbulletin made this relatively painless with their templates, i confess i'm still learning how to work through the template system on ip.b to simplify the interface in a similar way.

As an aside, one thing that eased the misery of working with vB was a switch that you could turn on that would put comments into the rendered page, telling you what template was used to generate each part of the page... does ipb have something similar? If so, i haven't found the switch. It would make learning much easier.)

smile.png I'm pretty sure IPS company forums alone serve far over 70 users. XD smile.png

Over 70, meaning "over 70 _years old_" :)

This is one of the drawbacks of 'eating your own dogfood' when writing software -- you meet your own needs perfectly (and the needs of similar folks), but alternate use cases like... dealing with inexperienced old people sometimes get lost in the shuffle.

I guarantee you if I rolled out the forum the way it is now -- with the upload file functionality hidden behind an obtuse description and the plethora of buttons in CK, I would have people with torches, pitchforks, and onions on their belts chasing me down the hall!

To answer the original question, there is no option to disable quick reply, however you can modify skin templates to remove the reply box if you wish.

thanks brandon -- but I don't see how to modify the templates to remove the quick reply without also killing off the "quote" button.

(my template-fu is not yet strong enough i guess.)

You know how to use it properly, I know how to use it properly, but try doing some user testing with people 70+ -- you would be shocked!

Having a multitude of interface options routinely leads them to disaster. Having 3 ways to reply -- quote, multiquote, the box at the bottom, simply doesn't work well for them.

So what we currently do is really restrict how they can reply -- the whole idea of 'multiquote' is gone, and so is a quickreply box. When people want to click 'reply', there is one button at the bottom of each post -- REPLY. By default, the button sucks in a quote from the message they are replying to.

And it goes without saying that the reply box is simplified -- but one thing we do have prominently is the "UPLOAD FILES" box where they can see it -- not hidden behind other buttons. (in fact, I think for most people on our site, you could kill 90% of CK's interface buttons, but just leave 'link' and 'upload files' and they'd be happier than having the mess of UI options.)

vbulletin made this relatively painless with their templates, i confess i'm still learning how to work through the template system on ip.b to simplify the interface in a similar way.

As an aside, one thing that eased the misery of working with vB was a switch that you could turn on that would put comments into the rendered page, telling you what template was used to generate each part of the page... does ipb have something similar? If so, i haven't found the switch. It would make learning much easier.)

If you disable bbcodes under the Look and Feel tab -> Post content -> BBCode Management, their options will disappear from the editor (I believe).

thanks brandon -- but I don't see how to modify the templates to remove the quick reply without also killing off the "quote" button.

(my template-fu is not yet strong enough i guess.)

Post a topic in the skin help forum and I'm certain someone can walk you through it step by step. :)

While I have no problem with it being removed as I didn't use it, I don't like how features are being removed without any polling of your client base to see if they actually still WANT the feature you are removing. dry.png Perhaps next time you will ask? Each time you remove something, you make some of your clients' lives more difficult... which may result in cutbacks of your customers.

Something to think about.

Archived