Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

Forum Rules Link Removed: Major Headache for Forum Administrators

The biggest problem I see with IPB is going to prove to be a very major headache for those of us who run active forums. Some of you may have already discovered that IPS has removed the "forum rules' link from the top of the forums. This is a major mistake. I'm going to run into major problems when someone tries to look for the forum rules link but cannot find it because some gumby decided to place the link in the footer section, obscured with small font text and with font colors so light that you will skip right over it.

Done

ACP -> Look & Feel -> Global Template -> globalTemplate

Find:

<ul class='ipsList_inline' id='community_app_menu'>

Add Below:

<li id='nav_rules' class='right'>

<if test="siteruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_show'] and $this->settings['gl_title']">

<li class='right ipsType_smaller'>

<a href='<if test="ruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_link']">{$this->settings['gl_link']}<else />{parse url="app=forums&amp;module=extras&amp;section=boardrules" base="public"}</if>'><if test="siterulestitle:|:$this->settings['gl_title']">{$this->settings['gl_title']}<else />{$this->lang->words['board_rules']}</if></a>

</li>

</if>

</li>

Done You now have rules link on top of page :)

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done

Find:

<ul class='ipsList_inline' id='community_app_menu'>

Add Below:

<li id='nav_rules' class='right'>

<if test="siteruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_show'] and $this->settings['gl_title']">

<li class='right ipsType_smaller'>

<a href='<if test="ruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_link']">{$this->settings['gl_link']}<else />{parse url="app=forums&amp;module=extras&amp;section=boardrules" base="public"}</if>'><if test="siterulestitle:|:$this->settings['gl_title']">{$this->settings['gl_title']}<else />{$this->lang->words['board_rules']}</if></a>

</li>

</if>

</li>

Done You now have rules link on top of page :smile:

Yes and every time we upgrade or install a skin we have to edit the template,think if you have more than 1 edit in templates , it'll be a pain doing this everytime.

Forum Rules Link Removed: Major Headache for Forum Administrators

The biggest problem I see with IPB is going to prove to be a very major headache for those of us who run active forums. Some of you may have already discovered that IPS has removed the "forum rules' link from the top of the forums. This is a major mistake. I'm going to run into major problems when someone tries to look for the forum rules link but cannot find it because some gumby decided to place the link in the footer section, obscured with small font text and with font colors so light that you will skip right over it.

Do you use the FusionMenu? You can just create rules there.

Or edit the template and place some links at the bottom, take a look at my Talkford.com site to see my footer in action.

If it's a pain to have to re-add in a link manually, create a hook for it, or request one be made. Hooks like that are dead simple to create, and will be unaffected by skin changes in minor version upgrades. Hooks are your friends.

If it's a pain to have to re-add in a link manually, create a hook for it, or request one be made. Hooks like that are dead simple to create, and will be unaffected by skin changes in minor version upgrades. Hooks are your friends.

To be fair, it's easier to add a link manually than create a hook IMO. I tried creating a basic hook a while back, I could never figure it out. You need to know about classes, and overrides and all this other mumbo-jumbo, which I'm sure is fine if you're a programmer, but if you're like me, a construction engineer by trade (reinforced concrete and steel structures I know loads about!) then it's pretty much all double dutch :D

To be fair, it's easier to add a link manually than create a hook IMO. I tried creating a basic hook a while back, I could never figure it out. You need to know about classes, and overrides and all this other mumbo-jumbo, which I'm sure is fine if you're a programmer, but if you're like me, a construction engineer by trade (reinforced concrete and steel structures I know loads about!) then it's pretty much all double dutch :D

Fair enough, but there are lots of talented folks out there making hooks that could do this for you if you needed it. People complained about the online/offline indicators in posts and so I made a hook for that and put it in the Marketplace for free. The same could be done for this issue too.

Could you right this as a hook Michael so that it near at the top near the envelope?

Fair enough, but there are lots of talented folks out there making hooks that could do this for you if you needed it. People complained about the online/offline indicators in posts and so I made a hook for that and put it in the Marketplace for free. The same could be done for this issue too.

You know IPB so well you can create hooks in minutes. :P

Did they remove the option to upload photos in post?

Honestly if they did, their only making it harder on the users / members of Invision communities and alienating themselves from the competition (giving the competition an edge over them)

How do you mean? Attachments? You can still attach files - it's below the post box as normal.

Did they remove the option to upload photos in post?

Honestly if they did, their only making it harder on the users / members of Invision communities and alienating themselves from the competition (giving the competition an edge over them)

No, they didn't remove that. Here's a photo I've uploaded:

post-44642-0-37845800-1308062253.jpg

How to upload attachments to my media? I saw what I already upload by not really how to upload to a post like this. :o :logik:

You can click on 'My Media' to insert items that you have previously uploaded as attachments, gallery image, files etc.

Attachments are uploaded via the 'More Reply Options' button if the forum allows it

Archived