Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been so many great new features added, some of them I will never use, but there have been necessary features removed *sighs*

One problem I have with IPS at the moment is that I don't know on what "studies & statistics" they base their decisions on. When we were talking about the removed topic descriptions Charles told us that the majority of people didn't use them. Well, this may well be, but I still thought that there would be some kind of official poll or anything like that.

Apart from that, I'm not quite sure if I'll renew my license and upgrade to IP.Board 3.2 or use another software in the future. It now heavily depends on IP.Content. If it's still only usable by myself and my users don't get it because it's too complicated for them I'll leave IPS behind.

Well, that maybe Charles/Bfarber/IPS opinion, but how did they come to that opinion? I don't recall any feedback being requested on that subject? Have you got a direct link to this topic so I can respond? I know for sure that if I upgraded to 3.2, and didn't install the hook (Big thankyou to Michael for producing it) that I'd have thousands of members moaning at me.

You can no longer see what exactly a member is doing from viewing their profile. You have to look at the full online list which might not even be enabled on some boards...

That is not correct. Hover over the "Online" in Profile...

Agreed, something as fundamental as this should be built in. Why on earth would we all want to accept the default menu system? Not being able to create your own dropdown menus is a fundamental oversight IMO.

However if you run out of space on the primary navigation it will create a dropdown automatically and start a new row below.

A full blown menu system would be nice - after all IPS have already released the code for it, so it would just be a case of building it in. Although Mat B's fusion menu would then not be required, although as he is an employee I am sure he could donate fusion menu to IPS ;)

Agreed, something as fundamental as this should be built in. Why on earth would we all want to accept the default menu system? Not being able to create your own dropdown menus is a fundamental oversight IMO.

However if you run out of space on the primary navigation it will create a dropdown automatically and start a new row below.

A full blown menu system would be nice - after all IPS have already released the code for it, so it would just be a case of building it in. Although Mat B's fusion menu would then not be required, although as he is an employee I am sure he could donate fusion menu to IPS ;)

My opinions

Status online/offline of the members in topics

This is not very important for discussion board. You can answer on every posts regardless if member is online or offline. Status on/off is important only for chat where discussion is going in real time.

I am glad that Avatars were removed. When we used both, lot of members were confused. Some added their photos as avatars, others added their avatars as photos. I started poll about this on my board, with question what they would use. Dozen people voted for avatars, nobody for photos. So in ACP I will translate things about photos to avatars and we use only avatars on board.

Topic description

I think this was little useless feature. Only few members used it and not very often was clear what they wanted write there. Tagging system with keywords is much more better. Tags could be used as meta-keywords too.

Im not using the Beta version, but i've heard on this topic that the "Group Icon Image" was removed.

Is this true?

My Staff uses that, because its easier for everyone to know we are the Staff...

My Examples:

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

Group icon is still there - look on the left of my post :)

Group icon is still there - look on the left of my post :smile:

Many Thanks... I was afraid it was missing ;)
The rest of the missing features, i don't realy care.

Just one thing.
In 3.1.4, we use a lot the Feature "Active Content".
In this 3.2 version, the Active Content is on "View New Content", and then we have to choose "past 24 Hours".
The problem is that every time i go there, i need to choose that option again.

Just one thing.

In 3.1.4, we use a lot the Feature "Active Content".

In this 3.2 version, the Active Content is on "View New Content", and then we have to choose "past 24 Hours".

The problem is that every time i go there, i need to choose that option again.

You could set up a link to http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&period=today&userMode=&followedItemsOnly=0 as it is in 3.1.4

You could set up a link to

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&period=today&userMode=&followedItemsOnly=0

as it is in 3.1.4

Problem resolved, many thanks ;)
In 3.1.4 i also use a Link to that, called "Today" ;)

Just another thing i will miss. The "Topic Description".
More or Less 30% of the Topics on my Board have one. What will happen to those Descriptions?

Some features may be useless to some, forgive me if I'm wrong but IPS staff only really have experience of running a large forum here? Features they see as useless are popular amongst other admins and visitors, alot of small features add to make a successful site and I can't consider an upgrade now due to alot of these features being removed, I am certain more than half my members would voice their disapproval as well. I can see why they've done it, looking at XF and thinking thats the way forward, but not everyone likes that look. How many big XF forums are there? I honestly can't see it taking off until even they improve their skin. - every XF site looks the same, boring. And now my favourite forum software is boring too.

Hope someone can remake the 3.1 skin, it may be ugly in parts but I modified it to make my site looking decent. I can't do that in 3.2 because of the plainness of every page.

Some features may be useless to some, forgive me if I'm wrong but IPS staff only really have experience of running a large forum here? Features they see as useless are popular amongst other admins and visitors, alot of small features add to make a successful site and I can't consider an upgrade now due to alot of these features being removed, I am certain more than half my members would voice their disapproval as well. I can see why they've done it, looking at XF and thinking thats the way forward, but not everyone likes that look. How many big XF forums are there? I honestly can't see it taking off until even they improve their skin. - every XF site looks the same, boring. And now my favourite forum software is boring too.

Hope someone can remake the 3.1 skin, it may be ugly in parts but I modified it to make my site looking decent. I can't do that in 3.2 because of the plainness of every page.

Totally agree with what you say here,i feel the same way also i'm not excited at all about the new version when i choose to come to this forum last year it's because it had what i need that other forums did not had that's why i like it so much,now so many things have change and i really don't feel the same way any more it's like i don't have interest any more to run a forum.

Every time i come here it just feel like face book to me,the colors and the like system and other things,but Complaining is not going make them even change it not even sure i be still here because i really don't like the direction IPS is taking with there software right now 3.1 was the best and this reason i stay so long here.

Total agree with what you say here,i feel the same way also i'm not excited at all about the new version when i choose to come to this forum last year it's because it had what i need that other forums did not had that's why i like it so much,now so many things have change and i really don't feel the same way any more it's like i don't have interest any more to run a forum.

Every time i come here it just feel like face book to me,the colors and the like system and other things,but Complaining is not going make them even change it not even sure i be still here because i really don't like the direction IPS is taking with there software right now 3.1 was the best and this reason i stay so long here.

I know what you mean JahLion, I used to be happy and outgoing, and now I just feel kind'o withdrawn. I struggle to get up in the mornings, let alone feed and clothe myself. I think it's about time that IPS opened up a helpline.

I also forgot to mention the removal of avatar galleries which is one of the fundamentals of bulletin board software! ( http://community.inv...-in-ipboard-32/ - This topic details its importance )

Additionally, there is no longer a feature that allows users to use externally-hosted avatars. This pretty much forces users to waste disk space and bandwidth, which is a big deal in big boards. Some of the boards I've been on don't allow the uploading of avatars for this reason. And, yes, the users could use Gravatar, but why force users to use a third-party service which I don't even use myself? That just adds more steps to be taken just to use an externally-hosted avatar. I don't even think you can specify avatars for individual sites using Gravatar. Furthermore, users can no longer use dynamic avatars regardless whether they use Gravatar or not.

Lastly, it seems it is no longer possible to use animated avatars in IP.Board 3.2 which seems like a step backwards.

Update: One other thing I forgot to mention in this topic is the removal of topic ratings from the topic listing. Is there a reason why topic ratings were removed from the topic listing in IP.Board 3.2? I thought topic ratings were supposed to be used as a guide in knowing whether a topic was worth viewing or not. Aside from that, they were useful in forums that reviews were posted in so that you could quickly see what products(games, movies, etc.) were worth getting. And these review forums usually only allow staff to rate so you knew the rating was really worth looking at.

Additionally, there is no longer a feature that allows users to use externally-hosted avatars. This pretty much forces users to waste disk space and bandwidth, which is a big deal in big boards. Some of the boards I've been on don't allow the uploading of avatars for this reason. And, yes, the users could use Gravatar, but why force users to use a third-party service which I don't even use myself? That just adds more steps to be taken just to use an externally-hosted avatar. I don't even think you can specify avatars for individual sites using Gravatar. Furthermore, users can no longer use dynamic avatars regardless whether they use Gravatar or not.

Lastly, it seems it is no longer possible to use animated avatars in IP.Board 3.2 which seems like a step backwards.

Hmm I hadn't realised that, another major downside then. I'd guess than more than half of members on my site use an avatar hosted elsewhere or an animated avatar. Half being 2000+ members on my site.

One the things that really get on my nerves is every where i go on the forum is a picture in your face, in 3.1 only time i see picture of a member is in there profile,topic view,are the sideblocks,now it's all over the board and i don't like it on the index page because they already on the side blocks make the index page look so clutter and ugly.

Don't quote me

Archived