Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

I opened this topic in order to make a list of features removed from version 3.1.4., in the new version 3.2
I hate this because 3.1.4 has some features that are very useful and now we have to find hooks doing those.

One of this is status online/offline of the members in topics.
You can find the hook here

Everyone can contribut to this list.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is mad... I can't see any logical reason why this would have been removed?

Quoted from a thread:

Does the user being online or offline impact how you reply to the topic? I don't see how it does especially when you also allow users to login anonymously meaning they will always show offline.

The point of a forum, as opposed to a chat room, is that you don't have to be "online" to participate in a conversation. For example, I am often online but not on our forums here. Yet if someone posts a reply to a topic I am tracking I get an email and instantly read the topic. I would not want someone choosing not to post because the little indicator next to me name shows offline.

To summarize: the online indicator on a forum is misleading to the average user. The average user does not understand that, unlike your instant messenger application, the user could have signed off 15 minutes before and it would still show them online. So, in the end, the online indicator is not really telling you what you think it is nor is it bringing any useful information to you that will impact how you interact with the topics.

Are they really though? (Yes, I'm asking this sincerely).

I personally never pay attention to whether someone is online or offline or not. I don't find online status (again, personally) to be very important when participating on a forum. It's different, to me, when you are on a social networking site, but replying to a topic I don't typically care if the user is online or not.

I cant believe it after so many people asking for a drop down menu properly working, still we don't have one, and its new software, I commissioned Fusion Menu to be made, and I was using it as a stop gap, nothing but problems with it with other skins, and after six months of asking for an update, nothing. Therefore this would have been the perfect time for you to add one. No such luck Thanks!

It isn't so much what they took out, but the useless—not to mention annoying—things added. You can hardly move around the screen without a popup or hover message interupting your navigation.

I quit reading a lot of news sites because of such nonsense.

Quoted from a thread:

Well, that maybe Charles/Bfarber/IPS opinion, but how did they come to that opinion? I don't recall any feedback being requested on that subject? Have you got a direct link to this topic so I can respond? I know for sure that if I upgraded to 3.2, and didn't install the hook (Big thankyou to Michael for producing it) that I'd have thousands of members moaning at me.

I cant believe it after so many people asking for a drop down menu properly working, still we don't have one, and its new software, I commissioned Fusion Menu to be made, and I was using it as a stop gap, nothing but problems with it with other skins, and after six months of asking for an update, nothing. Therefore this would have been the perfect time for you to add one. No such luck Thanks!

Agreed, something as fundamental as this should be built in. Why on earth would we all want to accept the default menu system? Not being able to create your own dropdown menus is a fundamental oversight IMO.

It isn't so much what they took out, but the useless—not to mention annoying—things added. You can hardly move around the screen without a popup or hover message interupting your navigation.

I quit reading a lot of news sites because of such nonsense.

And you think the hover-popup for topics in 3.1.4 was better?! Lol. You must be crazy because that was aweful!
Personally, I haven't even ONCE got a popup in 3.2 by mistake. Not once.

And you think the hover-popup for topics in 3.1.4 was better?! Lol. You must be crazy because that was aweful!

Personally, I haven't even ONCE got a popup in 3.2 by mistake. Not once.

No I didn't like the hover for 3.1.4 any better. I loath hover effects of any kind, wheather it is a forum, blog, news or any other kind of site. They annoy me to no end.

I'm really disappointed at the amount of things that were removed in IP.Board 3.2. If IPS doesn't like certain features, they should at least add an option to disable/enable it in the Admin CP. Removing features is very counterproductive if you ask me. This is the only release of IP.Board that I've had negative comments about.

Another thing that was removed which I don't think has been mentioned in this topic yet is user notes.

Archived