What do you think of 3.2?

wraz

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

I hardly think you can say "IP.Board 3 was a flop". It's the product that took us from middling psuedo professional forum to arguably the market leader in community software. The concepts and design elements we introduced in IP.Board 3 have been copied and used by every other forum system out there including vBulletin and XenForo.

I know a fair number of you in this topic have various axes to grind and you seem only to visit us when you wish to support and enhance negative feedback. That is fine and your prerogative. However, when you stop looking outside your own minority group you completely lose perspective.

Sure, a few people outside the IP.Board Haters club have voiced their opinion in a reasonable and thoughtful way and that's great but the overwhelming response has been nothing short of amazing. We're thrilled with the product and almost all our customers are too.

IP.Board 3.2 is a step up. It is leaner, cleaner and puts the focus back on a good user experience and not pointless iconography that adds little. It's time to move on.

It's not about emulating Facebook or Twitter. It's about making it easier to post and read topics.

I also find it incredibly ironic that those who openly state they dislike "Facebook" features such as the "Like" button have been using the "Like" button to voice their opinion on other's posts.

Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that IP.Board 3.2 has made it much easier for you to leave your negative feedback and to support others who share your view.

I take this is a compliment and proof of our continued success because ultimately we want more interaction from our members just as you do on your site.

I hardly think you can say "IP.Board 3 was a flop". It's the product that took us from middling psuedo professional forum to arguably the market leader in community software. The concepts and design elements we introduced in IP.Board 3 have been copied and used by every other forum system out there including vBulletin and XenForo.

I know a fair number of you in this topic have various axes to grind and you seem only to visit us when you wish to support and enhance negative feedback. That is fine and your prerogative. However, when you stop looking outside your own minority group you completely lose perspective.

Sure, a few people outside the IP.Board Haters club have voiced their opinion in a reasonable and thoughtful way and that's great but the overwhelming response has been nothing short of amazing. We're thrilled with the product and almost all our customers are too.

IP.Board 3.2 is a step up. It is leaner, cleaner and puts the focus back on a good user experience and not pointless iconography that adds little. It's time to move on.

It's not about emulating Facebook or Twitter. It's about making it easier to post and read topics.

I also find it incredibly ironic that those who openly state they dislike "Facebook" features such as the "Like" button have been using the "Like" button to voice their opinion on other's posts.

Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that IP.Board 3.2 has made it much easier for you to leave your negative feedback and to support others who share your view.

I take this is a compliment and proof of our continued success because ultimately we want more interaction from our members just as you do on your site.

I Agree with you. IPB is not a FLOP, and it will never be. I'll Renew my license this Month, thats for sure.
I like the new Skin in IPB3.2, and i like the new Functionality, its a Step Up.

The only thing that was giving me some concerns, was the removal of Animated Avatars, because many of my members use one. But i've read on the Tracker that Terabyte considered it as a Bug. That was my major concern.

I still stand by an early tweet by Matt "If this was a product shipped by a competitor I would consider leaving #ipb for it - it is that good." - Beta tester upon seeing new 3.2.0!"

Sure there are items missing which will affect some of my members - but there are far more that will benefit them.

And as a paying customer, I will have the odd moan ;) But I am not aware of any other product on the market that could do the same job as the suite from IPS and at the end of the day that is what is important to me personally.

As for 3.1 being a flop - well if I converted to a flop then I do not know what it makes the other choices that I rejected!

• Management

We completely understand that not everyone will love every aspect of 3.2 and most can think of some things they'd change. That is normal, expected and fine!

What does strike me as unreasonable is the staunch opposition over something minor that can be added back in by the license holder either via an edit themselves of another's hook. These type of arguments are like saying 'I don't like the hotel's new wallpaper, so I'm going to move my family to Mars'.

We completely understand that not everyone will love every aspect of 3.2 and most can think of some things they'd change. That is normal, expected and fine!

What does strike me as unreasonable is the staunch opposition over something minor that can be added back in by the license holder either via an edit themselves of another's hook. These type of arguments are like saying 'I don't like the hotel's new wallpaper, so I'm going to move my family to Mars'.

Won't you consider released a 3.1 skin with the look that many prefer over this then?

Won't you release a 3.1 skin with the look that many prefer over this then?

I'd be surprised if a third party did not develop a 3.1.x style skin for 3.2 the same way there was a 'Classic Blue' for 3.0, for those who want such things.

I don't think it is up to IPS to go to the trouble of re-creating an older version skin for the newer product though, seems pointless when a third party could do it for the (I'll perceive as limited) demand for a legacy skin.

Won't you release a 3.1 skin with the look that many prefer over this then?

I am sure that a skinner will release something if he/she thinks it is financially viable. I do not think it is IPS's job to do that.

• Management

IPS won't release a 3.1 skin but someone probably will and it will be popular for a short time. Just like the 'classic' 2.3.x skin. Apart from a very small minority, no one would want to use it now.

People resist change but in order to progress you need to change. Or we'd all be using UNIX from 1970 on dial up modems.

I think it is upto ips to provide the 3.1 skin, the 2.3 classic wasn't popular as it had errors left right and center, and 3.1 will probably be the same if made for this version unless ips do it properly. You should offer this to your customers, it will increase upgrades by at least 20%..

It's not about resisting change, it's wanting the best for my site. And that is, my modified 3.1 skin with 3.2 Ajax replies!

IPS won't release a 3.1 skin but someone probably will and it will be popular for a short time. Just like the 'classic' 2.3.x skin. Apart from a very small minority, no one would want to use it now.

People resist change but in order to progress you need to change. Or we'd all be using UNIX from 1970 on dial up modems.

I like change, but not when it's for the worse. Since when was removing features a good thing?

• Management
  • When you remove confusing interfaces
  • When you remove confusing or multiple settings
  • When the code is cleaner and faster as a result
  • When the skin is less cluttered and more intuitive
  • When you remove maintenance overhead
  • When you remove old and stale concepts and ideas
  • When you want to modernise a product

• When you remove confusing interfaces
  • When you remove confusing or multiple settings
  • When the code is cleaner and faster as a result
  • When the skin is less cluttered and more intuitive
  • When you remove maintenance overhead
  • When you remove old and stale concepts and ideas
  • When you want to modernise a product

Many of the features that were removed didn't have any confusing elements. I agree that having both profile photos and avatars available on a board could confuse users and I'm not criticizing IPS's decision to merge them. And, I'm not too concerned about the default skin as I'm sure there will be skinners who will make drastically different variants for those with different tastes. What I liked about IPS is that they made everything simple without losing flexibility. With IP.Board 3.2, that is no longer true. I think that keeping features from IP.Board 3.1.4, but disabling them by default would have been a better idea. :/

List the features that have been removed and I'll give you the reason why there were.

Alright, sounds reasonable.

- Latest News on Board Index
- Online/Offline Status in Posts
- Remote avatars(which allowed for dynamic avatars)
- Topic descriptions
- The ability to disable/enable fast reply in the Admin CP
- You can no longer see what exactly a member is doing from viewing their profile. You have to look at the full online list which might not even be enabled on some boards...
- Post Icons
- Board rules link removed from the board header
- Number of VNC results removed
- User notes
- It is no longer possible to convert categories to forums
- Removal of the quick emoticon panel

You should offer this to your customers, it will increase upgrades by at least 20%..

It's so handy when people let us know things like this. We don't anything about our customer base, so it's a good thing we have marklcfc here to tell us.

It's so handy when people let us know things like this. We don't anything about our customer base, so it's a good thing we have marklcfc here to tell us.

Hmm, you're human, but generally speaking cynicism is very unprofessional for someone selling a product.

• Management

- Latest News on Board Index
We have latest forum topic for each forum, we have sidebars for recent news, etc. Did anyone ever take notice of the 'latest news'?

- Online/Offline Status in Posts
We've gone over this. The short answer is that a forum topic isn't a chat thread. It usually makes no difference if the user is online or not to the quantity or quality of replies.

Avatars and photos were merged. Other than a handful of boards, no one used the gaudy, blocky and out-dated avatars that came pre-installed. We expect a modder will provide an enhanced way to create a photo gallery. Although I wouldn't want that myself. I want original unique photos. If your answer to this is "Well on my forum we use avatar galleries to.." then you're no longer using an avatar but a team badge / RPG badge, etc, etc.

- Remote avatars(which allowed for dynamic avatars)
Security risk. No other site allows this for good reason.

- Topic descriptions
No one used them. You can tag topics which are searchable.

- The ability to disable/enable fast reply in the Admin CP
We did consider renaming it "Please make it harder for people to reply to topics" but decided just to remove the option.

- You can no longer see what exactly a member is doing from viewing their profile. You have to look at the full online list which might not even be enabled on some boards...

Mouseover the online badge. We've made an effort to remove the in your face elements.

- Post Icons
These should have died years ago. We barely had support for them in 3.0/3.1. It's another old fashioned idea that doesn't belong in this decade.

- Board rules link removed from the board header
You either want people to read your rules, or you don't want people to read your rules. Adding a link that no one will click is just a waste of space.

- Number of VNC results removed
We added back pagination. Does it *really* matter if you have 313 results or 287?

- User notes
We are not personal management software. If you want to leave a note to yourself, use the notes in your iPhone, or send yourself an email or use pastebin or any other method thats out there.

- It is no longer possible to convert categories to forums
I have no real response to this other than did anyone ever decide 6 months down the line to convert a forum wrapper to an actual forum? Surely the only thing it retains is the name and permissions?

- Removal of the quick emoticon panel
It's there underneath the editor when you click on the smilie icon. Believe it or not but *most* people don't want 500 flashing yellow faces blinking away when they make a post.

IPB 3.2 is far from being a flop.

The default skin will always have this kind of response. Lots of people will love it. Some people will say that the prior version was the best. I for one did not enjoy the skin transition from 2.x to 3.x not because of the design itself (which i liked) but because of the colors. The 3.2 skin looks great, no, gorgeous to me (I will have to add some contrast to it since at least one of my members has issues when reading on 'too white' backgrounds) but then some people will think that the 3.1.x was the best ever.

I will always be in favor of making the product leaner, more streamlined, etc. I did mention previously that overall the software felt great and it was easier to point what I did not like that what I liked because the list of things I dislike is WAY shorter. I feel my dislikes have been lost in the big shuffle though, hehe.

The avatar redesign or transition does not sit well with me because unless I am understanding this wrong it is not possible to set the size to be displayed on topic view. It also seems to be more restrictive. I like giving my users the option to link their avatar from an offsite place that does not have to be gravatar. Maybe this can be changed easily by editing the skin (I mean the size thing) but then that will mean I have more maintenance overhead. Not less. I do not see the point of the picture of the last poster on topic list but I may be alone in that one.

I like the light pop up for signing in but I do not like that it does not pick up my saved user name and password.

I do tend to post more when a new version of the software is coming out so I hope this is not taken as "you seem only to visit us when you wish to support and enhance negative feedback" as I defend IPB and promote it whenever anyone asks me what kind of forum software I recommend.

• Management

I will happily read sound constructive feedback even when it is negative.

I do not absorb personal rants, outlandish statements or people making wide accusations with no logic, research or factual evidence to back it up.

Archived