What do you think of 3.2?

wraz

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll upgrade by final, but I may not do much beta testing this time. I like it on here a lot though. I usually use RC versions lvie, but since they won't call one RC now I hope they make it pretty clear when it's to the point where it would have been called RC where those who want can go ahead and trust upgrading.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask why?

Just don't like the direction its gone. Little things that make forums more attractive have been taken away because they 'serve no purpose'. The new skin design is nice and clean but clean isn't everything, the board index and forum view especially is boring, very bland. Look at the board index for example, the avatar overload is simply too much. You've got them on the right of every forum under last post, and every part of the sidebar has them too. Whilst adding these avatars everywhere, you've taken away all little images that such as %7Boption%7D in the sidebar that make it abit more attractive. (online statuses, folders etc and I could go on but I've done enough of that over the months).

Even the bullet points that signalled if a sub forum has new posts in it by turning green has gone from the board index. Now that was useful, you know...

I love the new functionality but the whole look means I don't get to have that. Can you make a 3.1 skin available? Afterall, this is still 3.x, we shouldn't see a complete overall in the design, especially if we don't want it. Have used this software since 1.3 and this is the first version that makes me :sad:

I agree it's a bit too bland. Especially in the areas that show who's reading a topic or who's online, it looks unfinished. When I look at it, I look at a kid coder who's trying to design his own forum software but hasn't done any real skinning to it yet so it's just a bunch of white backgrounds with content on them. :-\

Just don't like the direction its gone. Little things that make forums more attractive have been taken away because they 'serve no purpose'. The new skin design is nice and clean but clean isn't everything, the board index and forum view especially is boring, very bland. Look at the board index for example, the avatar overload is simply too much. You've got them on the right of every forum under last post, and every part of the sidebar has them too. Whilst adding these avatars everywhere, you've taken away all little images that such as [img]

[/img] in the sidebar that make it abit more attractive. (online statuses, folders etc and I could go on but I've done enough of that over the months).

Even the bullet points that signalled if a sub forum has new posts in it by turning green has gone from the board index. Now that was useful, you know...

I love the new functionality but the whole look means I don't get to have that. Can you make a 3.1 skin available? Afterall, this is still 3.x, we shouldn't see a complete overall in the design, especially if we don't want it. Have used this software since 1.3 and this is the first version that makes me :sad:

I agree, function should only be removed if necessary. I don't know why the subforum topic markers were removed on board index. As for a sidebar icon...that's just a design necessity for you? Additionally, without avatars the forum would look even more bland than you perceive it to be. I don't see the forum as bland and that's because I notice the small differences. However, these differences / improvements are not noticeable to the untrained eye, so when the IPS team are developing things, they would have to ask if the average user not admin will understand it. I think they've done a good job (minus the removal of useful functions such as the subforum topic markers and the light red color scheme in the ACP. )

Just don't like the direction its gone. Little things that make forums more attractive have been taken away because they 'serve no purpose'. The new skin design is nice and clean but clean isn't everything, the board index and forum view especially is boring, very bland. Look at the board index for example, the avatar overload is simply too much. You've got them on the right of every forum under last post, and every part of the sidebar has them too. Whilst adding these avatars everywhere, you've taken away all little images that such as [img]

[/img] in the sidebar that make it abit more attractive. (online statuses, folders etc and I could go on but I've done enough of that over the months).

I understand your frustration, but the theme opinion will be always different. Someone do like it, someone do not like it. Thats why theres functionality to customize it to your needs.

Personal experience so far I would have to say I doubt very much I will upgrade until I have no other choice, now I fully understand it is a very competitive market and I fully respect the amount of work thats gone into it.
Some features I can see as being very handy especially within the ACP side like making skinning easier etc but I feel there is also things I would class as "bloatware" that 99% of members will never even notice far less use.
I've spent nigh on 2 years work and a lot of money on custom made mods, a couple which were never public release and now find that most mods have errors or skin problems which will mean more time and money to rectify.

For some reason the entire look keeps screaming out facebook to me and although I know this will probably please a lot of customers, I am one of the few that it won't as I completely detest facebook and anything that remotely looks like it.
I still would never run any other forum software as I have always said IPB was the dogs since my 1st account back in I think it was 04 but I will be in the 1% that are not a fan of this latest generation.

Sorry and no offence intended,. John

I am going to miss the online / offline status in topic view. At least for me, I usually check to see if others are online when deciding whether to quickly respond or simply wait to respond later. Now I have to hover over the username and deal with the popup to get this valuable information. It's not really that big of a deal of course, but it's something I find myself using constantly on my forums. I do love the new look and all the new features though, so I guess I can live without the online / offline status. :yes:

I completely detest facebook and anything that remotely looks like it.

I agree but, as skins are released or updated, things will change.

You should buy it and then you can find out for yourself :wink:

I may not be a "active customer" but the owner of my forums is and because of this I get to check out things before they are used on our live board.

Hmm .. ipb 3.2 seems to have an style of internet 2.0, but some things are pretty boring, starting from new profile style, looks a bit sad :(
It looks like a software for executives.

I agree but, as skins are released or updated, things will change.

I may not be a "active customer" but the owner of my forums is and because of this I get to check out things before they are used on our live board.

i don't agree at all, maybe yes, maybe not; who knows ..

I have been with IPB since 2003 and 3.1.4 will probably be my last upgrade. I really like "some" small things that have been done in 3.2 like the login (which I had a similar one for 3.1.4) but i really don't care for the look and the brightness and the squareness of everything. I have been playing with 3.2 since yesterday and I really don't find modifying it any easier than 3.1.4, but that is just me. I don't like how everything is so hidden and you have to hover over it for it to appear as my forum caters to seniors and they won't like that one bit. I don't like that the topic "description" was removed as my users use that all the time. I don't like that the editor will not display the emoticons on the side anymore. I have asked for a contact form for years and always falls on deaf ears, and still no contact form. I could go on and on but won't for now.

Archived