Commas after subforum titles look awful!

U2 Fan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever seen any Content page of a book with coma as a separator? If yes, I would like to see the book :smile:

IMO Front end page of a forum is more like a 'Content' page of a book and it should look clean and clear.

I'm having a moment of genius:

Make them bordered like the newest member and total posts at the bottom :sorcerer:

Example:

[img=http://cl.ly/3h2H3R0730131t3p3B1p/Screen_shot_2011-06-08_at_11.28.22_AM.PNG]

That looks really cool. :smile:

Make them bordered like the newest member and total posts at the bottom :sorcerer:

Example:

[img=http://cl.ly/3h2H3R0730131t3p3B1p/Screen_shot_2011-06-08_at_11.28.22_AM.PNG]

I like it.

No offense to anyone but I don't like what fishfish suggested .... I guess we all have our own likings LOL

Yes very true. I personally do not mind the commas even though it kind of reminds me more of tags. If it stays as commas though I will probably just change it via a skin edit to the * or a dot.

Example:

I actually like that, especially if it was designed in columns, so that the subforums in row two would line up directly under row one instead of looking like a jagged stack of links.

Fishfish0001's idea could work. I still like the dot idea better, since it's what I use on my forum currently.

I actually like that, especially if it was designed in columns, so that the subforums in row two would line up directly under row one instead of looking like a jagged stack of links.

Yes! It scrunches up terribly on non-widescreen monitors.
This is what I see on a square monitor: (attached). The subforums looks like a jumbled mess, and the bold/unbolded makes it look more jumbled.

Wow that font rendering is awful on your computer :|

Yeah, I was just noticing that everyone else's screenshots were way nicer looking than mine. :P I'm on a work computer (shhhh!) on my break so it's not exactly top of the line, but it's under 3 years old, using FF 3.6.16

They are unbolded when they are read:

[img]

[/img]

I didn't realise that, Michael. Thanks.

Take a look at that very same screenshot, though. Was anyone else confused (like I was, briefly) as to whether "Server Management, Resources, Optimization" were three separate forums or just one? I had to go back to the main forum index to actually try the link to confirm it was just one.

So, the only difference between a forum title that has commas in it and a list of subforums is an extra space in between each subforum??

It would be interesting to see what would happen if that main forum above (Server Management, Resources, Optimization) was a subforum.

Subforum #1, Subforum #2, Server Management, Resources, Optimization, Subforum #4

Hhhhmmm.

The only bad thing I can see about this new way is that you cannot mark subforums as read from mainpage.

Really disturbing!

U were not able to do that in previous version also. It's been always like that afaik.

U were not able to do that in previous version also. It's been always like that afaik.

Indeed, it has always been like that which truly sucks. It's been available on vB since they introduced suboforums :/

I didn't realise that, Michael. Thanks.

Take a look at that very same screenshot, though. Was anyone else confused (like I was, briefly) as to whether "Server Management, Resources, Optimization" were three separate forums or just one? I had to go back to the main forum index to actually try the link to confirm it was just one.

So, the only difference between a forum title that has commas in it and a list of subforums is an extra space in between each subforum??

It would be interesting to see what would happen if that main forum above (Server Management, Resources, Optimization) was a subforum.

Subforum #1, Subforum #2, Server Management, Resources, Optimization, Subforum #4

Hhhhmmm.

This is actually a pretty good point, it would make it awkward to make subforum titles that have one or more commas. Well played, sir.

Yeah, IP.Board should probably strip out commas everywhere, they might confuse people that there are subforums here in random posts too, like this one.

I'm honestly surprised this is still being discussed. Is it really that uncommon to see a list of things separated by commas? They're just punctuation marks, separating items in a list, they're not meant to be some special subforum separation indicator.

Yeah, IP.Board should probably strip out commas everywhere, they might confuse people that there are subforums here in random posts too, like this one.

I'm honestly surprised this is still being discussed. Is it really that uncommon to see a list of things separated by commas? They're just punctuation marks, separating items in a list, they're not meant to be some special subforum separation indicator.

Michael, if you look at the example above, you would be able to see how someone reading the list of subforums could easily think there were 6 instead of 4. That was the point U2 Fan was making. While I initially thought the whole comma discussion was a bit.. nitpicky... U2 Fan does bring up a valid objection.

Archived