Suggestion: Next Step After Registration

CallieJo

Having a next step after registration is complete could be very helpful to end users. Optionally call it a New Member "To Do" List.

Include a list of optional things they could do to make their experience in the community more personal.
First in the list should be to verify their email (If admin required).
Optional ideas like uploading an avatar, filling out the about me for the profile, and any other "To Do" ideas you'd like to present to new members to help get them started.

This idea could also be included in a new Personalized User Entrance Page. Show the new users what they can or should do next. Then show current end users the content that matters to them on a personal level.

If you look at the major social networks you'll notice a little bit of hand holding to show end users what to do and how to do it. You'll also notice that end users are presented with the content that relates to them when they log in. We can learn a lot from the big social networks.

Sounds like a good idea. :)

We show a banner to guests, validating, zero posters & regular users all with differing information / messages - something like that would also work well to help people.

I actually might add a couple of items to the zero posters or create a new one for posters with under 5 posts with some helpful info.

This might help solve my annoyances over not being able to choose a display name and username like in 3.1

But you can - you just select a new display name after registering - your username then remains as the original username/display name.

It simplifies the registration as most people simply use the same one anyway.

This is something I personally would have liked to have done, but unfortunately time got the better of us (and it was never discussed internally anyway - not everyone would share my opinion ;) ). I think it'd be useful to give members a way to immediately fill in some important profile information.

This is something I personally would have liked to have done, but unfortunately time got the better of us (and it was never discussed internally anyway - not everyone would share my opinion :wink: ). I think it'd be useful to give members a way to immediately fill in some important profile information.

may be a notification to fill in profile info.

Sounds like a good idea. :)

We show a banner to guests, validating, zero posters & regular users all with differing information / messages - something like that would also work well to help people.

I actually might add a couple of items to the zero posters or create a new one for posters with under 5 posts with some helpful info.

Are you using a mod here to do that? I know how to do it in VB with their notice system, but clueless about IPB. Thanks.

This is something I personally would have liked to have done, but unfortunately time got the better of us (and it was never discussed internally anyway - not everyone would share my opinion ;) ). I think it'd be useful to give members a way to immediately fill in some important profile information.

Agree, it would be useful for new members. Glad to hear you thought of this idea as well even if not discussed internally yet. Maybe something to discuss in the future. Anything to help get new members started, is a huge plus. So many are use to other communities/networks or none at all. So, a bit of hand holding is usually necessary.

I would also appreciate knowing how to do this. :)

A lot of my newer members come from the larger social networking sites, and they seem a bit lost without the initial "how to" hand holding, especially if they haven't used IPB or even normal forums before. I have tutorials up, and an automatic PM to new members showing how to do some basic things like adding info/avatar to their profile, but users need to actively seek out those things in order for them to help.

Are you using a mod here to do that? I know how to do it in VB with their notice system, but clueless about IPB. Thanks.

No, I coded it in myself - there is probably a mod that does something similar.

You can see it running on my site.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This doesn't sound like a very necessary feature and I would leave it as a mod. I actually get annoyed at websites like Gmail or Facebook constantly reminding me to fill in the rest of my profile.

I think this information would more sensibly be left to a Welcome email and have the user decide what to do with their account without getting constant reminders.

Email verification is already covered by the validation option in the Admin CP, and uploading an avatar or filling out the About Me section aren't very important.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A 'To Do' list after registration would be fantastic!

if a person was to make a list what order and depth would it cover / I like the idea but want to create a template per say in my mind

please edit adjust this draft as you see best as i am sure its all back to front and sideways

1. how to register
2. ?

• 2 months later...

Archived