Go to last post icon

Biker.GA

Jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. While initial impression is favorable, I'm looking at this also from a user standpoint, and asking myself what my users are going to think.

Things I'm finding (or not finding as the case may be) are going to be a nightmare as my users are going to revolt.

Go to Last Post icon is missing. Don't know if that was intentional or not, but I use that icon a LOT, as do many of my users. That should never have been removed.

Jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. While initial impression is favorable, I'm looking at this also from a user standpoint, and asking myself what my users are going to think.

Things I'm finding (or not finding as the case may be) are going to be a nightmare as my users are going to revolt.

Go to Last Post icon is missing. Don't know if that was intentional or not, but I use that icon a LOT, as do many of my users. That should never have been removed.

Clicking the date takes you to the last post. Having an icon for it is unnecessary when the date is more relevant anyway.

Clicking the date takes you to the last post. Having an icon for it is unnecessary when the date is more relevant anyway.

I'm sorry. But when you have one way of doing something for years and years, suddenly changing it with a minor revision update only confuses users. I'm having to bust my hind end on educating my users on this upcoming software release so I don't have a revolt on my hands. And even with all the explanations, I don't think it's going to quell any disturbances on my site. The changes made to the design would be expected with a major revision change (3.x.x to 4.x.x). Not a minor update like we're receiving now.

The date has always been clickable for 'get last post' - and it's always been the more visible/bigger click area link too. In the past we've simply had a duplicated link, with a meaningless icon, which also doesn't help things like SEO and screenreaders. We have not wildly changed how this aspect of the board works.

The date has always been clickable for 'get last post' - and it's always been the more visible/bigger click area link too. In the past we've simply had a duplicated link, with a meaningless icon, which also doesn't help things like SEO and screenreaders. We have not wildly changed how this aspect of the board works.

Meaningless to whom? I never knew about clicking on the date. We used the icon with vBulletin and it was a welcome addition when we switched to IPB a year ago. We have always used the icon, which is why I was confused when it went MIA.

Do not assume users know everything about the software. And definitely do not assume that removing something will be welcomed with great rejoicing.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Meaningless to whom? I never knew about clicking on the date. We used the icon with vBulletin and it was a welcome addition when we switched to IPB a year ago. We have always used the icon, which is why I was confused when it went MIA.

Do not assume users know everything about the software. And definitely do not assume that removing something will be welcomed with great rejoicing.

I am definitely with Biker.GA. I migrated our forums from vBulletin but now many of our users are somewhat lost.

I find it weird that the developers are calling the icon "meaningless". It is not always about the code but ALWAYS about how users perceive the outcome. If duplicating icons everywhere makes it easier for users to accept something, then that should become the functional requirement when writing the program.

Anyway, I'm off to find a way to make this happen for my users. But I think IPB development team could do with "User Acceptance Testing" before assuming something so useful to users is useless. This is why WYSIWYG was invented.

Archived