aSimpleIdea

File Name: Topics Wall
File Submitter: DevRegan
File Submitted: 03 May 2011
File Updated: 05 Mar 2012
File Category: Applications

13 dollars 1 week promotion! :)
Enjoy!

This is the perfect application for you, if you want to create a sort of index or catalog.
Let's say that you have a board with users posting reviews of their favourite movies, music albums they like, tv serials that appasionate them or just a board used as 'market' where users post stuff that they want to sell in private.

NOTE: 1.6 is for invision power board 3.2 only AND it is only a minor update, few things have changed, this is NOT a major release. Do NOT install this version if your version of IPB is 3.1.4 or older, install the 1.5.1 instead. IF YOU DOWNLOADED THIS FILE ON Aug 12 2011, please donwnload this file again, since a bug was fixed.
Price tag is now 19 dollars.

Topics Wall will create a professional list of topics shown with three different viewing modes.
- You can select the detailed view, with the preview image of the movie poster, the album cover, or the item the user is selling with rating, views, comments, preview text of the topic;
- the classic mode, characterized by a list, just the way you look a forum, with more details.
- the all new facebook style mode, that it is just the same as viewing one of your friends' wall.
You, as the Administrator, decide the default viewing mode, but you can also let your users decide their favourite viewing mode, if you want.

There will be two different homes: one is the Application Home, when you click Topics Wall. It will show the X (you decide the number) topics ordered as you like (latest, most commented, most visited, highest rated) belonging to forums you enabled.
The other one, is the Forum Wall Home, but only topics belonging to that particular forum will appear.
You can think of this application as an alternate way to see the default invision's 'forum view'.

You can choose forums that will have a 'wall' (or index) and which usergroups can access the application.
Don't worry about permissions: the first requirements for usergroups to view the index of a particular forum, is that they can access that forum, that means that they can view that forum and read topics within it.
So, if you have a usergroup called 'Test usergroup', who cannot access 'Test Forum 1' and decide to let them access Topics Wall application, and you enable the wall in 'Test Forum 1' and 'Test Forum 2', that usergroup can still access the application, but a error message will appear if they try to access the wall in 'Test Forum 1'.
Same thing with Password protected forums, users must insert the password in that forum before accessing its wall.

Topics Wall comes with two hooks:
- goToWall: shows a simple button near the 'new topic' button, that brings you directly to the Home Wall of that forum.
- indexAndTopics: in forums enabled, will create a table with the index letters of that forum and the last 10 topics ordered as you like (most viewed, recently commented, highest rated ecc ), shown with the Detailed Mode.

Please read FAQs included in the zip file before installing the application.
Send me an e-mail for feedback, bug reports or other problems, I usually reply as soon as I receive the email (Parlo italiano, I speak English, Hablo español )!

WARNING: For as much this application has been tested, there will still be bugs and issues. If you find any, please contact me.

Click here to download this file

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

File Name: Topics Wall

File Submitter: [url=http://community.invisionpower.com/user/205449-devregan/]DevRegan[/url]

File Submitted: 03 May 2011

File Updated: 04 May 2011

File Category: [url=http://community.invisionpower.com/files/category/103-applications/]Applications[/url]

Creates a new section of your board ( like a facebook 'wall', with topics 'shared' by users ), where users can see topics ordered by filters, such as most commented, highest rated etc.

- You decide forums that can have a 'wall'

- You decide usergroups that can access the application

- ONLY users that have access to that forum ( can view forum and can read topics within it ) can see the 'wall' of that forum

- Totally customizable on acp, through settings panel

- Two hooks included

Many other features...

[url=http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4197-topics-wall/]Click here to download this file[/url]

This is intriguing....but out of my price range.

Can you put a choice of attachment or image url? because in a topic of attachment and image url takes only the attachment image.

In the forum view the 10 images is too much for 1280x analysis.

Thank You.

Edit: Put in the downloading files and the previous version.

Can you put a choice of attachment or image url? because in a topic of attachment and image url takes only the attachment image.

Thank You.

image URL setting could be a great feature, and like you said 10 images is too much for low resolutions, a setting to change this could be nice too.

I'm so sorry for not replying to you, i'm really really sorry. :(

I am a new contributor, so i did not notice this. From now on, i'm going to check this topic everyday :)

it is possible to Alphabetically ordered the topic without select a starting letter?

No. In 1.0.2 I will add it :)

Hello,

Where can i customize presentation please ? is there a skin file for this app ?

What do you mean by that? It shows the default skin set by you in the ACP.

interesting concept but I'm confused. does each forum that is so selected, have its own wall?

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, you decide the forums, and this application will show a 'wall' of that forum. :)

Where came from those topic images ? How to add them ?

Topics Wall gets the first valid image of the first post of a topic. If no image is found, the default 'no_img' image (set by you, in the settings panel) will be put.
You can think of it as a 'Preview' Image ;)

This mod index the previous existing topics, or just the new ones?

Every topic inside a forum, both those created before its installation and after it. :)

Thank You.

In 1.0.2 you will be able to choose wether to pull attached images or not. :)

image URL setting could be a great feature, and like you said 10 images is too much for low resolutions, a setting to change this could be nice too.

Answered before :)
  • 2 weeks later...

NeW Version 1.5.1!

- New: You can choose wether to show attached images or not
- New Viewing Mode: Facebook Style (see previews)
- New: Now users can change their viewing mode
- New: Users can see if topics are followed or not
- Fixed: Preview post now configurable in Forums Wall too
- New: You can choose preview images default size
- New: added a carousel in indexAndTopics hook
- Fixed Minor Bugs
- New sort: Recently commented topics
- New sort: Alphabetical Order without seeing letters

Please, contact me for bugs reports, feedback or just for infos. I prefer you to contact me by email, i reply as soon as I receive the emai (when i'm home).

It is in a separated side of your board, since it is an application. Included in the zip file there's also a hook that creates a sort of summary with letters bringing you to the wall of that forum that shows only topics with that letter, and a table with a 'carousel' of topics sorted as you want ( recently commented, latest topics, highest rate etc ).

You can see the demo board to clarify your ideas.

Bye!

Hi
for your first question: just select the forums you want to the application to be enabled. If usergroup does not have access to that forum or if you did not enable the application in that particular forum, an error will be displayed if they try to get the wall of that forum. Also, topics belonging to forums you did not enable, won't appear in the application home. For example: if you do not want visitors to access the application, just do not enable them. If you don't want 'Test Forum 1' to have a 'wall' just don't enable that forum in the application settings. Please contact me again if I misunderstood your question.
For your second question: of course. You can change as you want, you can call it 'Index', 'List', 'Catalogue', 'Wall' or in any other way you want, I give you no restriction to that. Just do not remove copyright. It is very simple, but if you want help on how to change its name in the tab or in any other section, just contact me.

Hope my answers were helpful to you.

Bye!

• 1 month later...

I just purchased and I like the layout. I was wondering though and this really might make this mod not work for me. I wanted the enabled forum to go automatically to the wall without those numbers and indexes to select from. Is there a way to just have the wall layout come up right from clicking on that forum where I have it enabled? That is what I thought this would allow but I cant seem to find a way to get the indexed numbers and letters off. I just want the wall right from clicking on the forum.

Any ideas or can this be done?

Thank you

Hello,
You can go directly to the wall by clicking the button 'Go To Wall' installed by the hook when you're inside a forum, or, if you want to see only topics belonging to a certain forum when you click app's tab, you have to select the forum first by clicking "View Forums List".

But if you want to access the wall from the board home by clicking on the desired forum, that can only be done from ACP > Look And Feel, editing the skin set you are using. Or, and this is much easier, you can put on forum description the link to get the wall of the forum, so that user get the wall of that forum instantly. :)

If you want to get the wall by clicking the forum's name on board home, you have to modify something from ACP > Look And Feel, contact me and i'll explain you how you can do that. :)
Also, please contact me again if I misunderstood what you meant. :)

All the best!

Archived