Lots of stuff goes on but people aren't aware

tenaki

Have been noticing more and more lately that stuff is going on, gallery comments, blogs and comments, download comments etc etc etc but people don't realise. I know we have the view new content but is there any way in the future of making it more "in their face" for want of a better expression

Well people get fed up with emails so I suppose a small hook maybe that could update with maybe ajax (I,m not a coder btw) a new comment has been made on x, member b has just uploaded a pic etc

Or maybe a number type thing similar to chat that updates in real time although not so keen on that.

Maybe you should add a few IP Content created blocks? Here's a preview of a Recent Gallery Comment block I just made using the Block Wizard. Took me a couple of minutes to put together.

It shows the last 5 gallery comments. This can be placed anywhere you like on your board. Clicking on the image title takes you to the image.

3DKiwi

Maybe you should add a few IP Content created blocks? Here's a preview of a Recent Gallery Comment block I just made using the Block Wizard. Took me a couple of minutes to put together.

It shows the last 5 gallery comments. This can be placed anywhere you like on your board. Clicking on the image title takes you to the image.

3DKiwi

That works for Gallery, but he is talking about all apps.

We'd love to do a "stream" of sorts at some point, but it's not as simple as it may seem on the surface. ;)

I can understand where the OP is coming from.

This is something that we have suffered from for the last year or so after converting to IPB.

The reason is fairly simple - we had a sidebar on one or both sides of every page and in that sidebar it contained items such as adverts, latest posts, active topics, notices etc. Without it people have no idea on what is happening - clicking a link to find out is not what users are willing to do. Sure as admins we know to do this - but users are not admins and have no idea - they prefer the more in your face method.

Users could choose to permanently hide one of the side bars (both if the admin allowed it) to give more space to the forums. With wider screens now this might not even be necessary.

Therefore by having a sidebar on all pages it would allow you to highlight recent posts, blogs, articles, comments etc. to users wherever they are on your site.

I wish that IPB would have a sidebar on all pages instead of just the forum index page - sites now have multiple sections (blogs, chat, articles, gallery etc.) and just a header and footer is often not enough to join these areas as the footer is often ignored and the header needs to be slim not to to push the content too far down the page.

I wish that IPB would have a sidebar on all pages instead of just the forum index page - sites now have multiple sections (blogs, chat, articles, gallery etc.) and just a header and footer is often not enough to join these areas as the footer is often ignored and the header needs to be slim not to to push the content too far down the page.

Agreed , that is another poss solution

Archived