Should be possible to move topics from search result set

TSP

Why is this not possible already? We can merge topics, close them, sticky them, delete them - but there is no way to choose topics from a result set when searching and move them to another category. There really should be a way to do this from a result set that contains topics.

It would really speed up the process of moving topics when new forums are created.

Agreed, and I started a topic about this last year:

This is a pretty glaring omission from the search results moderation. I was excited when moderation in search results was first announced, but then very disappointed when I saw the single feature I really needed (being able to move topics) was missing.

..Al

quoted from other topic.

The primary problem with moving topics is verifying source and destination permissions. It may be something that can be added, but it's difficult when each source topic can be in a different forum.

I can't understand it would be that hard to implement.

First you check if the user can move topics at all. If he can move topics, great! Show the option.

Then when the moderator cliks ok you send them to the "Are you sure you want to move these topics"-screen. But the difference this time is that you also show a message like: "Sorry, you do not have priviligies to move some or all of these topics. The topics you can't move is: ..."

If they can move all topics the message won't be displayed. Then beneath that message you can have the usual "Are you sure you want to move these topics", with the usual checkboxes next to them.

You could also write it like this in the moderator option menu in the search "Move topics (Might be restricted)".

I remember reading somewhere that the issue had something to do with the what the source board is because all your search results won't necessarily be from the same board.

That's part of the point in being able to moderate from search results, that is, being able to act on the results regardless of where they originated.

..Al

We have not determined if it will or won't be in 3.2, it will depend upon time and meeting other goals we DO intend to ensure are in 3.2.

I say "future version" so that no one gets their hopes up. 3.2 is a future version too, at this point, of course. ;)

• 2 months later...

i also fave found this issue frustrating !!!

not being able to move search results to other areas is a waist of moderating search results

as mentioned, when a new forum area is created or you need to send postings to the Recycle Bin, & you need to move 500-1,000 posts to the new area, what are you suppose to do ??? move each post one at a time ???

addressing this issue should be paramount in correcting, either as a patch or included in the next release.

all Administrative Staff that use IPB 3.1x are greatly hindered by the omission of this option !!!

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jp said:

i really want this as well! i have 150,000 posts that i need to move but need to do it via search terms otherwise i need to do it manually.

Same problem here, I have a lot of posts to move with search terms. It's hard work without this feature

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to that list too. We have a bunch of housekeeping to do on our site as its approaching the end of the football (soccer) season in the UK and we tidy things up once a year at that time. We are also looking to update to 4.3 between now and July/August and may have a bit more re-arranging to do so re-instating this feature would be desirable.    

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...