IP.Board 3.2 Page Speed

joelle

I think I may have found why the page speed graphs are looking so oddly inaccurate. Since the majority of users don't have cron jobs set up for every task, the tasks are run on page load (by including a 1x1 transparent GIF in the page -- http://yourforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=task). Some tasks can take a fair amount of time to run. Google thinks this is a part of the page, and it's waiting for this to load even though the rest of the page has finished far ahead of it, and the result is a very inaccurate page speed reading.

Ok I have to share this from webmaster tools for my forums - see attached lol

I don't know how accurate that is as the site loads in less than a second for me

What did you do to make it shoot up? Where you DDoS'd one day? Did you do anything different?

All it says is that sites shouldn't load slowly, not that super fast and fast are any different.

I'm pretty sure Matt Cutts mentioned site speed is becoming a more important factor in the algo bc they say that user experiences is much better on faster loading sites than that of slower loading sites. Hence the reasons why you are seeing a lot more cloud hosting and CDN's...people see the value in speeding up their sites.

Ok I have to share this from webmaster tools for my forums - see attached lol

I don't know how accurate that is as the site loads in less than a second for me

Below that image it will actually give you 'links' and the page loading time of those links..
What does it say?

Is there a tutorial available on how to set up cron jobs right for IPB? Because I have not touched the cron jobs settings within ACP.

I uploaded a script I wrote that will assist with adding cron tasks. Just be sure to read the description first. It's still a fairly complex process for those who aren't very familiar with the Linux shell. I'm not sure if IPS support would be able to do it for you, but it's certainly worth asking if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

(awaiting approval at the time of this post)

Archived