Download: Weather

chuckf

File Name: Weather

File Submitter: chuckf

File Submitted: 26 Mar 2011

File Category: Applications

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.2.x

Weather is an IPS add-on application that shows current weather conditions, alerts and forecasts on your IP.Board, IP.Content and IP.Blog pages.

The default configuration shows weather for Charlotte, NC but you and your members can change that.

Weather v2 supports and requires IP.Board v3.20+. If you are running IP.Board v3.14 you should use the latest v1 (v1.3.1 at the time of this writing).

Features:

• Your members can configure Weather to show their own local weather information from the My Settings/Weather tab and there's a Change Settings link at the bottom of the weather block that takes them to it!
  • Admins can configure a default weather location which is shown to guests and members that haven't configured their own.
  • Supports both English and Metric units.
  • Alerts: Weather checks for alerts and if found it displays "Alert!" above the Temp: condition.
  • Links: the Weather block title bar, and the conditions, alert, and forecast subtitles are linked to the WeatherBug web site (which open in new windows) so you can quickly get additional information.
  • All Weather block elements can be styled by editing weather.css.
  • Weather information is cached per location for performance. Admins can configure the cache duration.
  • Uses the 'Check For Update' system introduced in IP.Board v3.20 to notify you when a new version is available.
  • Uses the WeatherBug api which has proven to be fast and reliable.
  • Support forums and bug tracker at FischerOnline.

Requirements
  • IP.Board v3.20
  • php_soap*
  • IP.Blog v2.4.0 (optional)
  • IP.Content v2.2.0 (optional)

*To see if you have php soap installed:
  • go to the Support tab in your AdminCP
  • click on the PHP INFO link
  • scroll down looking for soap. See the soap screen shot for an example.

Note this file may require php5.3.x, problems have been reported with php5.4.x

Click here to download this file

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you expecting every install of this mod to use your API key? or do you have a setting to put your own in?

If your API key is hardcoded in, you probably should change that in the case that this app gets installed on multiple high traffic forums, it would probably cut off the application on all boards in which it is installed. Just a suggestion.

From Ip address the location and then the weather display

customization would be good :)

However the description says 'The default configuration shows weather for Charlotte, NC but you and your members can change that.' -does that mean members have some sort of control over it? I could not see anything obvious on the screenshot. With sites covering large areas a forecast for one town will be irrelevant for other locations.

Thanks.

Are you expecting every install of this mod to use your API key? or do you have a setting to put your own in?

If your API key is hardcoded in, you probably should change that in the case that this app gets installed on multiple high traffic forums, it would probably cut off the application on all boards in which it is installed. Just a suggestion.

I didn't want to force everyone to have to get their own API key but you raise a good point. If it becomes an issue I will provide an admin setting for an API key.

Can something more be done?

From Ip address the location and then the weather display

Saurabh

I thought about that but dismissed it because of proxies. Also an ISP where the IP address is registered can be quite far from ones home. WeatherBug has many stations to choose from for any particular location. I was surprised to find one only a mile from my home.

I may consider adding it as an option if there's a significant demand for it.

customization would be good :)

However the description says 'The default configuration shows weather for Charlotte, NC but you and your members can change that.' -does that mean members have some sort of control over it? I could not see anything obvious on the screenshot. With sites covering large areas a forecast for one town will be irrelevant for other locations.

Thanks.

Each and every member can set their own location and station in the UserCP.

Forecasts are for the location. Current conditions are provided by the stations.

The admin can set a default location and station for guests and members who haven't set their own.

I'll provide some screen shots showing this.

cool :) Perhaps it needs a link at the footer to direct people to the cp to set their own location. My experience is that people rarely go into the control panel unless you give them a direct link for something.

Winner winner chicken dinner. A link in the footer to set their location is a must....

cool :) Perhaps it needs a link at the footer to direct people to the cp to set their own location. My experience is that people rarely go into the control panel unless you give them a direct link for something.

That's a great idea. The next version will show members (not guests) "Click to Change Settings" below the forecast which links to the UserCP/Weather tab.

I provide weather data directly to weatherbug, as do many of my members. Do my sites qualify for a free copies of your application?

I appreciate your providing weather data to weatherbug and I could use a beta tester. If that sounds like something you'd like to do then I'll hook you up with a free copy for one of your sites.

Please, no one else ask for a free copy. This is a one time offer for optexnz.

I tried to uninstall and i get

"There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here "

Does not the uninstall remove all the files and database? I don't think Weather bug could add anything unless it's looking continuously for the API, I'm not sure how it works.

You can probably go to the sql database and delete what was left behind from the app, since the app is not there it should be fine.

volstate you apparently have a lot of same interests as me. sports, weather, reviewing. lol

I may get this at some point myself. Not sure. I always did want a weather mod though.

Love them all :thumbsup: I would like to be able to put this somewhere other than the right sidebar though. Gets a bit crowded...

Does not the uninstall remove all the files and database? I don't think Weather bug could add anything unless it's looking continuously for the API, I'm not sure how it works.

You can probably go to the sql database and delete what was left behind from the app, since the app is not there it should be fine.

Weather adds four columns to the members table to hold the members weather settings. Uninstall removes those columns. Uninstall does not remove any files.

The default weather settings are held in table core_sys_conf_settings like all admin cp settings.

The conditions and forecast cache are held in table cache_store.

Archived