3.2 Profile suggestion: Ignore this member

Clickfinity

Could we please have a profile page link (similar to the friends one) to "Ignore this member"?

This way I can click on someone's profile and (without having to remember how to spell their username + AND + click multiple times to get to the ignore page for my user settings) simply ignore them right away - no messing about or navigating into the depths of my user settings.

Once clicked, the member is added to my "ignore" list and the link changes to "Do no ignore this member".

Cheers,
Shaun :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I support this idea as it is a common function of discussion boards.

Now the question is: How does the ignore option affect how a thread is displayed?
If the person ignored is the OP is the thread not displayed on the index page?
When the ignored person responds to a thread is that response totally hidden? greyed out? collapsed?
There are many options possible...which ones do you have in mind?

Personally I would have their posts collapsed but that would require to now have the div that has their name to be a collapsable bar for all posts I guess...

I support this idea as it is a common function of discussion boards.

Now the question is: How does the ignore option affect how a thread is displayed?

If the person ignored is the OP is the thread not displayed on the index page?

When the ignored person responds to a thread is that response totally hidden? greyed out? collapsed?

There are many options possible...which ones do you have in mind?

Personally I would have their posts collapsed but that would require to now have the div that has their name to be a collapsable bar for all posts I guess...

The really big communities usually powered by Lithium or a couple others have ignore only block any direct communication like in a private message. There's a valid reason for this, it could cut out key parts of a thread containing important information if it was a complete ignore. Users ignoring each other is generally over childish arguments or personal differences so, I say it'd be better to keep their posts visible since they could still contain important information, and just have ignore block private messages from the ignored user so they can't harass you.

On the other hand though, I see many users on multiple forums say they'd prefer a "real ignore" which would hide their posts completely as well as block any direct communications. It would be great if Invision could create an ignore feature that gave us the choice of only blocking personal communications, or block personal communications and hide posts.

+1 to this being implemented.

You mean on your profile? good question, I would suppose that they should not be able to once you have them on ignore but I suspect that it is why there is a report function as well.

If someone spams your wall you should be able to block them from doing so. Good point

You mean blocking ignored users from looking at your profile? hmmm not sure if I agree with this. What about from your blog or your gallery or from your friends as well?

Ignore is not the same as Block.
One only serves to not show comments from a user, the other one does give feedback to that particular person when they try to do an action like: You have been blocked from this member from viewing their profile...which will not be very helpful as the person can always create a new account and follow you that way.

Ignore has a valid function as it removes from discussions what you could see as spamming or trolling but the person is not aware of it as it only affects your screen. If you now start to block people from navigating pages you hit a new area that I am not sure if I agree with for a community software.

Then its facebook 2 where you allow friends only to follow you or see your wall, photos, posts etc...

I'm working on an application that adds what 7SiN requested it should be done soon I'm almost done with the hovercard button and then version 1.0 will be ready. Here's a sneak preview:

I added an "Ignore Me" button in profile view:
%7Boption%7D

When you click the button it takes you to this page where you can manage your ignore prefs... Never need to type in a display name again!
%7Boption%7D

Note version 1.0 uses the same ignore permissions as IP.Board meaning Topics, Messages and Signatures. If version 1.0 is successful and many people download it I'll look into writing my own permissions set for status updates and individual posts.

The really big communities usually powered by Lithium or a couple others have ignore only block any direct communication like in a private message. There's a valid reason for this, it could cut out key parts of a thread containing important information if it was a complete ignore. Users ignoring each other is generally over childish arguments or personal differences so, I say it'd be better to keep their posts visible since they could still contain important information, and just have ignore block private messages from the ignored user so they can't harass you.

On the other hand though, I see many users on multiple forums say they'd prefer a "real ignore" which would hide their posts completely as well as block any direct communications. It would be great if Invision could create an ignore feature that gave us the choice of only blocking personal communications, or block personal communications and hide posts.

+1 to this being implemented.

See, for me, I'd like to ignore the young, immature, stupid, users [like many on this site] so I'm not tempted to make them look like idiots on any site. I would just rather let it go and not know that their post exists and be on with my life. I like to piss people off and make people look like idiots only when they deserve it (like cdkey on this site lol though I've tried ignoring him on IPB and it just doesn't work like it should...I'll have to recode it so it's better.).

I am curious as to what do you guys think would be the best way to achieve this.

Would you hide the posts from the ignore members or would you collapse them on load or would you color them lighter in conjunction with the ratings function?
Personally I am leaning towards having them collapsed.

Also what about when someone quotes an ignored person? What happens in that case?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not interested in changing the existing behavior of ignore; I just don't want my users to have to click, click, click in order to ignore someone. You can report content right from the post; you should be able to ignore the poster just as easily, with a button below the avatar in line with the current "add as a friend; pm; view gallery" buttons.

I'm not interested in changing the existing behavior of ignore; I just don't want my users to have to click, click, click in order to ignore someone. You can report content right from the post; you should be able to ignore the poster just as easily, with a button below the avatar in line with the current "add as a friend; pm; view gallery" buttons.

I have the application written, finished and working.. I just can't figure out how to package it up and distribute it. It adds an ignore button on the hovercard and profile view.

Archived