Download: (Our VQ) Google Ads

bfarber

File Name: (Our VQ) Google Ads
File Submitter: OurVQ.com
File Submitted: 10 Mar 2011
File Updated: 10 Oct 2011
File Category: Hooks and Plugins

This hook is a modification to IP.Board that adds a much more feature rich, seamless and flexible way of integrating your Google Ads into your forum community.

Features

• Show ads on your Board Index
  • Show ads in between your threads and sub forums with iteration options
  • Show ads in between your posts with iteration options and skinned to look like a post!
  • Permission options to display ads to multiple member groups!

We originally developed this hook for ourselves because we wanted much better control over how our Google Ads were being displayed. We weren't impressed by the other Google Ad hooks out there on IPS Marketplace because they were too expensive, too complicated and/or aesthetically displeasing to use. What you get is proper Google Ads integration right out of the box with minimum amount of work.

Your feedback is key in further refining the hook to your needs! Let us know your thoughts. Since we use this hook on our own IP.Board, you can expect updates down the road.

Have you installed Google Ads hook on your site? Please let us know!

Added: Instructions to get the Google Ad to display on the Board Index for IP.Board 3.2.x

Click here to download this file
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment JTrollerb123!

Right now v1.0.0 is specifically designed for Google Ads since it inserts your variables into a JavaScript designed for just Google Ads.

If there is enough demand we can look into incorporating another brand into the hook depending on its implementation.

bwar,

I didn't find the hook in your hook install list for some reason so I just reinstalled and presto -> Google Ads for everyone!

If you need any help or have questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM!

===============================================

To everyone else, we are always here to support you :)

Good hook. I think it would be nice to see how many clicks and such it gets. Also have the ability to have it on other apps, just not the forums.

EDIT:

Now I cant get the ads to show. I entered the code and slot numbers - triple checked - and still nothing. I even reinstalled the hook.

EDIT Again:

Ok Now I think its all about Google, not the hook. Sometimes ad show, sometimes they don't.

Good hook. I think it would be nice to see how many clicks and such it gets. Also have the ability to have it on other apps, just not the forums.

EDIT:

Now I cant get the ads to show. I entered the code and slot numbers - triple checked - and still nothing. I even reinstalled the hook.

Thanks for the feedback Neal. We may expand the hook to other IPS products in future versions :)

EDIT Again:

Ok Now I think its all about Google, not the hook. Sometimes ad show, sometimes they don't.

You are right about google. Depending on your adsense settings Google may or may not decide to display an ad if it there isn't enough content for it to decide which ad to show.

For the clicks I usually check my adsense account to see what kind success I'm having.

Ya I figured it out lol. But it would be nice to have it appear on different apps.

What I really need is something where I can have the ads in the forums, arcade, blog, and some other apps. and I can set their locations via your hook. This allows me to turn them on and off easier for when I need to. If someone donates, then I just put them in the new group without any ads.

I was having issues on how to use this as well, i ended up inserting the adsense code manually in the global template header/footer area but I would still like to know how to use the program correctly and possibly insert some ads between posts/threads etc...

any help is greatly appreciated

Hi kystreets,

The archive should contain a Readme.html file that contains the instructions you need to install the hook.

Here it is in case you do not have it for whatever reason.

Step 1: Import the Hook file

If you still have any issues, I can do the install for you no problem. I want the hook to work for you :) Let me know what works best.

Most of the issues with Google Ads I have found is been down to Google themselves, I use the built in ad system in IP.Board and it took a day or two for Google Ads to even show, just a little tip, wait a few days before asking for support for this hook.

Just a note: I have not purchased this hook, and doubt I will be, although it does seem to be a good hook and offers great support, I have only given a simple tip regarding Google Ads.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a bit of a hack, but check it out:

Under Look and Feel -> (your skin) look for the following template bits

Board Index
- hookGoogleAd

I added the following code right before the

</div>

tag:

<p style="color:#E1E7EC; font-size:0.9em;"><b>Don't</b> want to see this ad? <a href="{parse url="app=subscriptions" base="public"}" style="color:#E1E7EC;">Become a <b>VIP</b>!</a></p>

Repeat this for the remaining template bits found at: Forum View - hookGoogleAd I added the following code right before the

</td>

tag:

<p><b>Don't</b> want to see this ad? <a href="{parse url="app=subscriptions" base="public"}">Become a <span style="color:#483D8B;font-weight:bold;">VIP</span></a>!</p>

Topic View - hookGoogleAd I added the following code right before the

</div>

tag of the div class="post_body"

<p><b>Don't</b> want to see this ad? <a href="{parse url="app=subscriptions" base="public"}" style='text-decoration:none;'>Become a <span style='color:#483D8B;font-weight:bold;'>VIP</span></a>!</p>

I used this hook for a client's site (not affiliated with IPS). I have it running another ad provider for the post view. All I did was just edited the .xml and replaced the google ad script code with the other providers code. Then in the admin cp settings where it asks for the google specific id #'s, putting dummy #'s seemed to work.

Overall good hook !

Archived