MODERATION TOOL: Swap order of selected posts

gogoblender

It would be nice if we could "swap the order of selected posts" and/or Drag and Drop a post in order to change it's appearance in a topic. Personally I've had to do this many times manually via phpmyadmin. It's a bit nerve wracking to dabble with my database like that and quite a hassle.

This is necessary when merging topics. Especially when merging 2 topics with a fair bit of posts. After merging the flow of the posts becomes confused and require serious re-ordering. Even better might be to have an added "Topic Moeration" option; Re-order Posts that would load the topic's contents into a new page that is meant only to re-order posts in a topic. Could also be a strictly AdminCP tool. I think AdminCP allows us to do this kind of re-ordering with forums right?

Been doing this kind of database hack for a couple of years now and would love to have a convenient tool to do this. :)

Posts are ordered by time they were posted. How would you propose a moderator change this? By changing the time stamp of the post? I can see members getting irritated if moderators are changing the time stamp of their post.

You can also order posts in a topic by the Post ID, but that would be an even bigger nightmare, as you'd need to then re-associate any content with the new IDs if you go changing them. >_<

...Or else I have lived with the confusion of messed up order.

Sadly, so have I. Too many times. :/

Posts are ordered by time they were posted. How would you propose a moderator change this? By changing the time stamp of the post? I can see members getting irritated if moderators are changing the time stamp of their post.

From my own experience no one has ever commented about their changed post dates after I change them. I think they're more concerned with having their content make sense in regards to posts above and below theirs. I could see this maybe being an issue when two topics that are years apart get merged and re-ordered but whenever I've needed to merge/order a topic it's been with topics that were created on dates very close to eachother. Most times because several topics are created about the same great new thing on the net.

You can also order posts in a topic by the Post ID, but that would be an even bigger nightmare, as you'd need to then re-associate any content with the new IDs if you go changing them. >_<

I think this would be the easier route. Posts get their own ID's which should be easy to manage. I think quotes might need to be accounted for though. Not sure where else post ID's exist. Profiles and search content?

You are very right, when it comes to user posts, and I will never change their post times. However, this scenario can give you a picture of when/how and why we sometimes do this for staff posts:

We have a forum where calendar events have a topic created when we create the event (we use Calendar Topics mod). Say Admin creates an event and topic for "Workshop on IPS" but doesn't add any description just yet. A user comes in and posts "I am coming. Is Charles coming too?".
Another staff member later posts more descriptive content on the event itself. We want this post to come before all user posts but after the initial event post. In the case of this forum where it is just a RSVP system, then we do not mind changing order. For this registration topic, most users just look at the top posts containing staffs event description and then write their RSVP - in most cases, they do not care to read all the posts and order here is unimportant. Finding a post somewhere in the middle of the thread that contains added staff info about the event is/can be missed.

I know this is a special case for our event forum and this particular type of thread. In our case, this will probably be obsolete with the upcoming RSVP system. But until then and when we see how the RSVP system works, the requested feature by the OP would be nice. But I know - this has very little broad usage.

Very good example Pfeiffer. My sites are gamer related and we also hold events. The situation you describe has certainly happened on my end. Your scenario reminds me of another scenario that happens more frequently. In the middle of a topic sometimes someone will post invaluable instructional material on a technically advanced level. When this happens, as it did recently in fact, we admins want very much to move the content to the front of the topic. In the case I'm speaking of the member who wrote the material regarded was also the topic creator making this sort of re-ordering a win-win.

I'm struck with an additional idea along the lines of re-ordering posts. "Featured Post within a topic". We can "Pin" topics in a forum in such a way as to ensure their order remains on top despite their ID or date. Shouldn't we also have this sort of an option inside of a topic? When an exceptional piece of content is written within a topic I always feel the urge to make it stand out and readily available to readers. Pinning a post could be great.

I think this would be the easier route. Posts get their own ID's which should be easy to manage. I think quotes might need to be accounted for though. Not sure where else post ID's exist. Profiles and search content?

Attachments as well, they are tied to the ID# of the post they are attached to. Also, links to posts have the ID# of the post in them, if you swap IDs then links to one post could all of a sudden be pointing to another.

Really, though, in a properly managed relational database, you never change the primary key value of a row, which is what the post ID is. Even if you covered all the bases as far as what other database tables could use that as a foreign key, third party addons might need those to not change as well.

Hmmm... Is there a mysql command that could cascade the ID change through all associations? I've used find/replace on my wiki quite a few times but only to alter a single table at a time. If I had to guess then I'd say that re-ordering a post would require all it's associatied ID's to be temporarily changed to a new ID and then changed to the ID # we want it to become in the topic's order. In fact all posts within a topic would have to go through this process in the event that the last post is being moved to the front of the topic... That's a lot of work for something that should be much simpler. Uuuuuh. I'm thinking I'd rather go with a simple date/time change, lol.
With regards to maintaining the displayed date/time of the post to be moved time it might be a handy option to create an additional date/time field. Kind of like "Log in Name" and "Display Name". We could have "Actual Date/Time" and "Order by Date/Time". Best option I can think of for this. :unsure:

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you can have a postID for the post and a orderID for the order in the topic. Reply 1 would have orderID = 1, reply 2 would have orderID = 2. You can then switch these orderID's and change the order without changing the postID.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm currently attempting to do this via the database, but I must be missing something, as the post I want to be the start post has been given a date earlier than any other in the thread, and the thread record has had the topic_firstpost field updated to match, but they are still showing in the same order they were before I did anything.

I was thinking there must be a Post_Order table or something, but I can't find it if does exist. Any help would be appreciated!

Ah, yes, that'd make sense. From the above posts I assumed it was by date - but maybe that's changed?

Anyway, makes it rather impossible to move them around now... although there aren't any quotes or attachements or anything in this thread yet, so I might be able to get away with it. Hmmm.

• 2 years later...

I also would like to see this feature because of topic merging

Example:

1. Someone made a thread about them beeing featured in an article.

2. People reply

3. 2 days later this becomes a page in IP.Content which automatically makes a topic for people to comment in.

4. The posts of everyone are moved from the original topic into the automatically created topic.

5. The IPContent's opening post is now the last post in the thread.

Changing the time would allow me to move that guy up.

Archived