IPS Portal (End of Life), Mark, Not a Good Idea

ZakRhyno

Fair enough, and I may well continue to use it (and don't want to sound ungrateful for his work). But I think like many I see a decent portal as integral and essential to my site, and I'd like to think it was seen as integral and essential by the developers. Looking forward to seeing what IPB come up with in the Marketplace.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that can be done without a copyright image on the portal page though right?

I appreciate your work and what you are doing, but would just like an option to remove it, I could just edit it, but that's not right either unless your offering a paid version or are willing to let us edit that out.

Your call, and again thanks for what you do.

It's continuing to be maintained by one of the best and most active modders out there. I don't think you're going to run into any issues. I've got several paid for mods from DevFuse and updates are always released in a timely fashion alongside smaller fixes for any bugs. I really believe you're worrying for nothing.

Cheers, appreciate the feedback %7Boption%7D, I'm flat out with IPB 3.2 upgrades now but definitely look forward to adding to the Portal.

Is there going to be a paid version to remove your name all over it? I have removed it for now and will use IPcontent, I don't need nor want copyright info plastered on the portal page.

I do in that location... if it was one link in the same location as the other (footer) it would be ok I guess.

a simple line would do.

Portal by

DEvFuse

I won't be making a paid version. I'm sorry it's a bother for you but really a copyright link is not unusual. And given that I've upgraded the Portal and will be supporting and upgrading, I don't think a little bit of recognition is unwarranted. As Michael mentioned he has a similar copyright in the Subscriptions app and you'll probably find one in most mods.

I tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible, using the lighter font color and smaller font size but will see what else can be done next version and look into the possiblity of adding it to the footer instead. There will need to be a line for the "based on IP.Board Portal" however.

As mentioned above, a link is not a problem, it's the length and position of it. My customers don't like it and I don't blame them. It's actually larger than the ips one.

anyway, just giving feedback, no worries, I will give them other options.

Cheers, appreciate the feedback [img]

[/img], I'm flat out with IPB 3.2 upgrades now but definitely look forward to adding to the Portal.

I won't be making a paid version. I'm sorry it's a bother for you but really a copyright link is not unusual. And given that I've upgraded the Portal and will be supporting and upgrading, I don't think a little bit of recognition is unwarranted. As Michael mentioned he has a similar copyright in the Subscriptions app and you'll probably find one in most mods.

I tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible, using the lighter font color and smaller font size but will see what else can be done next version and look into the possiblity of adding it to the footer instead. There will need to be a line for the "based on IP.Board Portal" however.

The problem is not only is there your link, but also a link to IPS - which if one has copyright removal rather pointless.

Not sure why there are two links?

When the portal was announced EOL it was stated that it would be made available for 3.2 (initially by IPS) and therefore the 3.2 version should be the same as the 3.1.4 version (i.e. without extra links)

The only reason I can think of anyone putting copyright notices on their mods is for advertising on other peoples boards, I don't understand why this

"There will need to be a line for the ("based on IP.Board Portal") however"

has also got to be added I don't know. My members will never click on them, my board is not a public board, therefore it would never generate any income from them. Now thats on my board others may be different. Just as a side note it would be interesting to see how many of these copyrights are actually registered to protect their rights, because you can't just slap a copyright on something and say that's mine. I have seen quite a few mods on here that have belonged to someone else, taken, then upgraded the existing code and their copyright slapped on it, and it does not even belong to them.

The only reason I can think of anyone putting copyright notices on their mods is for advertising on other peoples boards, I don't understand why this has also got to be added I don't know. My members will never click on them, my board is not a public board, therefore it would never generate any income from them. Now thats on my board others may be different. Just as a side note it would be interesting to see how many of these copyrights are actually registered to protect their rights, because you can't just slap a copyright on something and say that's mine. I have seen quite a few mods on here that have belonged to someone else, taken, then upgraded the existing code and their copyright slapped on it, and it does not even belong to them.

Actually, you don't need to register copyrights. The requirement to register copyrights was abolished when the Berne Convention (or one of it's predecessors - I can't remember which right now) was written. Any creative work is now automatically copyrighted. Most countries don't even let you register copyrights any more, though the US as usual deviates from the norm and requires formal registration in order to get punitive damages in any legal proceedings.

I have to add that the only downside I have seen to IPB over the last three years is that most of the developers are here only to make money. Someone puts out a simple modification or hook and they charge for it. While I do understand why, it's also what is keeping more people from using IPS as well. I came over from vbulletin about three years or so ago, and can honestly say I never paid for a single modification, people did them to help others and shared code, shared ideas etc. Here it seems we lack that very aspect of the game.

There are a few exceptions and Michael has some great free modifications in the marketplace and I commend him for that... not michael john, just michael (the mod)

Actually, you don't need to register copyrights. The requirement to register copyrights was abolished when the Berne Convention (or one of it's predecessors - I can't remember which right now) was written. Any creative work is now automatically copyrighted. Most countries don't even let you register copyrights any more, though the US as usual deviates from the norm and requires formal registration in order to get punitive damages in any legal proceedings.

You have to register them in the European Union as well mate, also in the UK we have Crown Copyright as I am sure you do in New Zealand also. Copyright must be registered to prove ownership. Any crown graphics ( the use of the Royal Crown ) on my forum and website is protected by crown copyright and I therefore do not need to register it as it belongs to the Queen and Her Government.

You have to register them in the European Union as well mate, also in the UK we have Crown Copyright as I am sure you do in New Zealand also. Copyright must be registered to prove ownership. Any crown graphics ( the use of the Royal Crown ) on my forum and website is protected by crown copyright and I therefore do not need to register it as it belongs to the Queen and Her Government.

In all countries that are members of the

Berne Convention

, copyright is automatic and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder, or rightsholder, is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights. However, while registration isn't needed to exercise copyright, in jurisdictions where the laws provide for registration, it serves as

prima facie

evidence of a valid copyright. The original copyright owner of the copyright may be the employer of the author rather than the author himself, if the work is a "

work for hire

".

Original Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Common_law_copyright

Again it depends on different countries

Obtaining copyright

%7Boption%7D

%7Boption%7D

© is the

copyright symbol

in a

copyright notice

Copyright law is different from country to country, and a

copyright notice

is required in about 20 countries for a work to be protected under copyright.[sup]

[32]

[/sup] Before 1989, all published works in the US had to contain a copyright notice, the © symbol followed by the publication date and copyright owner's name, to be protected by copyright. This is no longer the case and use of a copyright notice is now optional in the US, though they are still used,[sup]

[33]

[/sup] in order to ensure copyright protection in those countries which require the presence of the notice.

In all countries that are members of the

Berne Convention

, copyright is automatic and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder, or rightsholder, is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights. However, while registration isn't needed to exercise copyright, in jurisdictions where the laws provide for registration, it serves as

prima facie

evidence of a valid copyright. The original copyright owner of the copyright may be the employer of the author rather than the author himself, if the work is a "

work for hire

".

In the United States, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 37 Section 202.1a prohibits copyright of a single word, title or small group of words or phrases, regardless of originality.[sup]

[34]

[/sup] In some circumstances these may be covered by

trademarks

You have to register copyright in the US and in Britain and I am sure in othe countries aswell, copyright is given by the country.

Where can work be registered?

• In Kenya, copyrighted works can be registered at the Kenya Copyrights Board for a small fee.
  • In the United Kingdom, commercial services provide a registration facility where copies of work can be lodged to establish legal evidence of a copyright claim. In the UK, there are also requirements to file certain published works with the British Library and, on request, the five legal deposit libraries.
  • In the United States, the United States Copyright Office accepts registrations. For works created in the US by US citizens, a registration is also required before an infringement suit may be filed in a US court. Furthermore, copyright holders cannot claim statutory damages or attorney's fees unless the work was registered prior to infringement, or within three months of publication.[2]

Enforcement

Copyrights are generally enforced by the holder in a

civil law

court, but there are also criminal infringement statutes in some jurisdictions. While

central registries

are kept in some countries, which aid in proving claims of ownership, registering does not necessarily prove ownership, nor does the fact of copying (even without permission) necessarily

prove

that copyright was infringed. Criminal sanctions are generally aimed at serious counterfeiting activity, but are now becoming more commonplace as copyright collectives such as the

RIAA

are increasingly targeting the

file sharing

domestic Internet user. (See:

File sharing and the law

)[sup][

citation needed

][/sup]

source = http://en.wikipedia....n_copyright_law

Again it depends on different countries

You have to register copyright in the US and in Britain and I am sure in othe countries aswell, copyright is given by the country.

source =

http://en.wikipedia....n_copyright_law

The UK are part of the Berne convention - in otherwords - copyright registration is not required as it is automatically given.

I think you're confusing patents or trademarks with copyrights.

Edit:

From an official source for us in the UK - see below.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types.htm

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about/c-auto.htm

Ok I am not going to get into an argument about it, however if you read that page I linked to, you will see there is no legal requirement in law for you to display their copyright on any pages, except when you are copying with permission part of their work on a creation you are making. IE= on a webpage, using a photograph, etc.

The word copyright means the right to copy, however if you do you must clearly display within the text who is the copyright holder of the work. Copyright by definition is one of the hardest items to prove and it is that expensive to take to litigation, as under the Berne Agreement you cannot claim your costs or your lawyers fees. Unless you register copyright.

The thread is about copyright is it not mate, isn't that what you were having issues with, all I have done is shown you that you do not have to display the copyright other than the original one used by IPB on the bottom of their board software. The rest can be displayed inside visible by the user of the software only. In other words you buy your licence from IPS Inc you must display their copyright at the bottom of the board, however any mods you use thereafter it is you who is classed as the user and the copyright is shown to you only, you do not need to display it publicly as you are the one using it, not your members. Unless I use part of the code in something else with their permission then I must include their copyright.

It was never a matter of "What is the Law" in my opinion, when someone creates a product, I respect what they have done and leave it alone for the most part. In this case however, since the product was started by IPS, and was not designed by the person updating it, I have a problem when his copyright notice is larger then the one for IPS.

I offered a solution for him to make it smaller and inline with the IPS link... he refused it,

Personally I would rather have a small link on many sites, than no link at all..... and right now all links have been removed! :)

Archived