IPS Portal (End of Life), Mark, Not a Good Idea

ZakRhyno

The Portal application in IP.Board has existed from the very early days of our company. It was only ever intended as a simple portal and demo of the software but grew a bit over time. It has had minimal updates and the feature set is very minimal when compared to today's expectations of community owners and operators. The Portal application will not ship with IP.Board 3.2 and should be considered EOL. It will be available in the IPS Marketplace for a limited time after IP.Board 3.2's release. We will also post information on how to easily replicate the Portal's functionality in IP.Content which offers all that the old Portal did and much, much more.

I'm glad I readed something about the upcoming changes to IPB 3.2. But leaving this behind is a bad idea I think due to the fact that your forcing the the user base to buy IPC. If a user has no need for IPC and just a portal that should stay available in IPB to the none IPC user base. As I think the application is pretty light and don't take much time to keep up it not a full waste of time. Killing things so that the major base of user will turn out the product is a good idea but keeping people who don't need it is not a good idea. Just some feedback.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

The Portal is being removed as the cost to maintain it in addition to IP.Content becomes prohibitive when you consider there is so much overlap. If someone in the community wants to take on maintenance and updates of the Portal then we would certainly be happy to talk to them about it and assist them. It's just not something we can continue to justify internally :)

I am sure that by the time 3.2 is actually ready for release we will have a viable alternative to Portal in the Marketplace.

The Portal is being removed as the cost to maintain it in addition to IP.Content becomes prohibitive when you consider there is so much overlap. If someone in the community wants to take on maintenance and updates of the Portal then we would certainly be happy to talk to them about it and assist them. It's just not something we can continue to justify internally :)

I am sure that by the time 3.2 is actually ready for release we will have a viable alternative to Portal in the Marketplace.

Are you saying then that there is something else that can do what a portal system does WITH OUT having IPC? The application is very light and keeping it up to date with the main IPB will not pull that many resource via IPC does. IMHO.

Did someone post got deleted here or user in itself deleted it?

But anyways it looks like:

Subscription -> IP.Nexus
Portal -> IP.Content
Community sections -> Removed and moved to author's website.
Converge -> ??
Cleancut skin -> ??

What's next ?? It just looks like to get more profit, you guys are slowly going vB way.

• Management

Did someone post got deleted here or user in itself deleted it?

But anyways it looks like:

Subscription -> IP.Nexus

Portal -> IP.Content

Community sections -> Removed and moved to author's website.

Converge -> ??

Cleancut skin -> ??

What's next ?? It just looks like to get more profit, you guys are slowly going vB way.

There was a post deleted as the post was not constructive.

Subscriptions and Portal will still work on 3.2 - we just aren't going to update them anymore and, I will note, they haven't been updated in a long time anyway. As I said, I am sure someone in the community will be happy to take those projects on and we will assist them if they so choose.

Not sure what you're referring to with "Community sections"

We haven't mentioned anything about Converge or Cleancut.

And no need to be insulting - it would be silly of us to replicate anything that other group does ;)

Perhaps everyone should take a deep breath, look at the history of how IPS does things, and realize that, by the time 3.2 is out, there will more than likely be alternatives to all this.

Also, AlexJ and ZakRhyno, unless I'm missing something you don't appear to be using Portal on your communities so I'm not sure how this impacts you?

• Management

Charles, do you have an expected release date for 3.2? not looking for anything in stone, but looking to see if it's this year, next month or what the time line is?

Will be this year but a few more months. I will personally make sure everyone has a clear alternative to Portal by the time final is out :)

Probably what will happen is that we will package up Portal just as it is into the Marketplace so it's still available to anyone who uses it and, depending on how many people still use it, go from there. Perhaps I should clarify the announcement a bit so people aren't getting the wrong impression that they will be unable to use 3.2 when it is out.

• Management

That sounds like a fair solution, thank you!

Thanks :) We're really not out to make anyone have a bad day! :lol:

I clarified the wording of the announcement in the "what's new" topic.

But yes for everyone: don't worry you will be able to upgrade to 3.2 if you use Portal and the sky will not fall.

Not sure, if it was only a post or couple of it. At least, 2 users PM'd me and said there posts where deleted. Note: None of my post where deleted but I asked to know whether post from others where deleted or not.

Subscriptions and Portal will still work on 3.2 - we just aren't going to update them anymore and, I will note, they haven't been updated in a long time anyway. As I said, I am sure someone in the community will be happy to take those projects on and we will assist them if they so choose.

I hope you do understand that not every forums need IP.Nexus. I have 3 licenses from you guys and I use Nexus only on 2 and on 3rd one I use subscriptions. It is clearly mentioned, "After the release of IP.Board 3.2, IP.Subscriptions will be considered end of life (EOL) and will no longer be supported." so if I run into any issue, there will be none to help me and I will receive replies, use IP.Nexus and it can do much more.

From a customer point of view, I personally feel, it's not fair. If something like this was mentioned, "We will continue to support it, till any one from community will come forward and maintain it", then I can understand.

I was referring to the community projects. There used to be forum/section here before for those projects. I don't see them anymore.

Hence, I asked with '???'. Cleancut as always been delayed at the time of releasing new updates. Let's be honest here. Cleancut was officially supported skin but every time update get's released, cleancut update was always delayed by 2-4 weeks. Why is that so? I used to love the cleancut skin but upon each update default was only updated. There where many customers, who where using cleancut but due to delays in skin update, they all moved on to different skin including myself.

And no need to be insulting - it would be silly of us to replicate anything that other group does ;)

I am not insulting at all. I just asked fair questions and raised my concerns, nothing else. More or less, here is what I received in PM from other users:

They censored my posts too and now all of my posts need to be approved before they show up!

Yes, they deleted my post and several others. Now all my posts have been set to moderated. Obvously, Invision doesn't care about their paying customers anymore. Every time someone posts about an issue or disagreement they either delete the post, close the thread, or simply ignore it. I came from vBulletin to get away from that type of "service" and am sad to say IPB is even worse now.

Also, AlexJ and ZakRhyno, unless I'm missing something you don't appear to be using Portal on your communities so I'm not sure how this impacts you?

I was about to drop Joomla on my website and was planning to use Portal since I am not that good with IP.Content. Yes, I do have IP.Content and using it on my other forum but I never bought 2nd license of it because it is/was tough to customize for me according to my needs. I did asked questions in IP.Content forums but eventually I gived up and let my license expire for it. It concerns me because, I use subscriptions and was about to use Portal also to have similar skin from website to forums.

Thanks for 'clarifying the wording', that we can use Portal/Subscription in 3.2 because before it looked like other way around.

Thank you.

But yes for everyone: don't worry you will be able to upgrade to 3.2 if you use Portal and the sky will not fall.

That's a relief as my front page and point of entry is the portal. I think having the forum index page as the main entry point isn't the greatest. It all depends I guess.

3DKiwi

Perhaps everyone should take a deep breath, look at the history of how IPS does things, and realize that, by the time 3.2 is out, there will more than likely be alternatives to all this.

I play with my portal system cause it easy(er) to use the IPC, due to it being more basic and IPC has still a way to go. I do plan on using the portal system to replace my current portal system. As for other issues I would ask that you don't make my business of what I do with my IPS products in a public realm as I have not posted a link to my community on my profile or have it listed for any other members to see. Thus I can only see that my data was look at to see something with out my knowledge. I would respect that don't happen a again please. Now on were to other matters. I'm happy to see that there will be another options, but with the death of IP.Portal what is there left for people whom don't don't have IPC or don't want to use it for a portal system? Can you be more clear on your plans or ideas going forward, then we will post a blog to let you know.
Thank you.

Oi.

Another "Community Supprted Feature". >_<

That seems to be the kiss of death lately. Shoutbox, Links and now Portal.

I'm really not planning on continuing with IP.Content. I don't find it to be a satisfactory portal.

Hmmmmm.

Shoutbox and Links were always community projects. They were never official IPS products. That's where the confusion came from, which is why we removed their "IP." prefix. The same people who worked on them before are still working on them. Even when it was a "community project", the shoutbox was rarely updated.

Oi.

Another "Community Supprted Feature". >_<

That seems to be the kiss of death lately. Shoutbox, Links and now Portal.

I'm really not planning on continuing with IP.Content. I don't find it to be a satisfactory portal.

Hmmmmm.

You can make IPC pages not only identical to your portal easily but you can go way beyond.. No "portal" that doesn't have a back-end could ever do what IPC does, straight up.
I'm not a coding guru either and here's a little of what I done knowing html
http://www.centerstagem.com

Shoutbox and Links were always community projects. They were never official IPS products. That's where the confusion came from, which is why we removed their "IP." prefix. The same people who worked on them before are still working on them. Even when it was a "community project", the shoutbox was rarely updated.

Exactly. Off to the graveyard with it.

You can make IPC pages not only identical to your portal easily but you can go way beyond.. No "portal" that doesn't have a back-end could ever do what IPC does, straight up.

I'm not a coding guru either and here's a little of what I done knowing html

http://www.centerstagem.com

I am a simple guy of simple means and needs. IP Portal is all I need and in using IP.Content for the last 6 months I still find it stressful to use.

Oh well. Life goes on. :cool:

IP.Portal was always a big trash; never used or never used Unreal Portal... I really don't like portals! But that's not the point.

The point is: PAY or you won't have portal (IP.CONTENT) (because I do not think anyone has the courage to use the UP) or subscriptions (IP.NEXUS). I mean, FREE anymore!

One more time IPS shoots in your own foot and requires users to have to pay (a little?) more!

Comen on people, it's just 125 US$ more!

Congrats! >_<

Wow, some folks are getting way too worked up over this (especially a certain Brazilian). Let's be honest, maintaining two completely different applications that do the same thing doesn't make sense. And they're also updating the EOL apps one final time so they can work, and releasing them free for anyone to install and use. I wish I had the same courtesy from Fengtao Software when they phased out DVD Region Free and released a new piece of software with a different name two years later, and required everyone to buy it again, on new terms, with no discount. I personally think IPS is taking a very reasonable stance here.

I'm especially impressed by the modder(s) complaining about the Portal and Subscriptions being phased out. If you think that they can be maintained so easily in parallel with the sheer quantity of apps IPS releases, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and take it up then?

I play with my portal system cause it easy(er) to use the IPC, due to it being more basic and IPC has still a way to go. I do plan on using the portal system to replace my current portal system. As for other issues I would ask that you don't make my business of what I do with my IPS products in a public realm as I have not posted a link to my community on my profile or have it listed for any other members to see. Thus I can only see that my data was look at to see something with out my knowledge. I would respect that don't happen a again please. Now on were to other matters. I'm happy to see that there will be another options, but with the death of IP.Portal what is there left for people whom don't don't have IPC or don't want to use it for a portal system? Can you be more clear on your plans or ideas going forward, then we will post a blog to let you know.

Thank you.

Still waiting to hear from IPS staff from my comment.

Archived