My suggestions for 3.2.0

minds

In 3.2.0 we already are going to see some nice improvements. Though I want to suggest a few more.

#1 - Reputation Comments System

Ideally, this would allow (or require, depending on the admin' choice) comments to be added with reputation points. Optionally, it could be displayed public (or private) who repped you and what their comment is. This would help very much with trading forums and forums that rely on user reputations.

Would be AWESOME to have this developed - Reputation Comments System.

Back in 3.0.0 days - AH modding made something similar and then completely abandoned it it was called: [AH30] Reputation 1.0.2

I talked to him about updating - he said he had no time. so I asked whether he would let others update or use code from his mod - that's what he said:

So I really really hope something will come out of this :)

#2 - Google custom search beside the regular IPB search

#3 - Image attachment re-size

Basically entering a max dimension / filesize in the ACP for an image, anything uploaded that is larger than this will be resized before saving to the server. I'm sure this is easy enough to do using GD/ImageMagic and it has been requested loads of times. At the moment I have loads of people uploading huge images without knowing how to resize it on their own PC, so if I reduce the upload limit to something sensible they just won't use it. This takes up a ton of storage space.

#4 IPB's own Topic prefixes

Ideally, this would allow (or require, depending on the admin' choice) comments to be added with reputation points. Optionally, it could be displayed public (or private) who repped you and what their comment is. This would help very much with trading forums and forums that rely on user reputations.

That would work for your needs. I feel this suggestion is more bloat and clutter-some than a necessity, that's my opinion at least :P Fitting more to a niche of a site and not a general business or community site.

Basically entering a max dimension / filesize in the ACP for an image, anything uploaded that is larger than this will be resized before saving to the server. I'm sure this is easy enough to do using GD/ImageMagic and it has been requested loads of times. At the moment I have loads of people uploading huge images without knowing how to resize it on their own PC, so if I reduce the upload limit to something sensible they just won't use it. This takes up a ton of storage space.

They should have a more controlled avatar/profile picture system. That is, if you have something that isn't similar in ratio, the thumbnail will reflect that, thus a really tall image could occur. Some scaling and cropping would be awesome. This would be an extension of functionality separate but similar to what you're suggesting.

You don't get the point with the reputation comment system. novatech is used for different reasons. This reputation system has to work exactly like this http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2308-ah30-reputation-102/ and that is not how nova's mod work.

In 3.2.0 we already are going to see some nice improvements. Though I want to suggest a few more.

#2 - Google custom search beside the regular IPB search

#4 IPB's own Topic prefixes

#5 Mass PM members from ACP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another neat feature would be Block certain forums from View New Content (configured in UCP). I cannot believe how long forums in general have went on without having such a basic feature. Having admin decide which forums are blocked in VNC for every member is just not flexible.

There should be per group permission how can block forums from VNC, also there should be indication which forums cannot be blocked by members. Its that easy and that simple that its genius.

• 2 weeks later...

An even better option than resizing on the server is resizing on the workstation BEFORE the upload using an uploader like plupload. Spent some time making a case for it and Matt said () he would strongly consider it in an update. :)

I like the idea of the Google custom search option too, it offloads a lot of the search load and gives you a bit of income via ads for search as well.

• 3 months later...

Archived