Please include integrated sidebar ad code in 3.2

wgl

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a really quick and rudimentary sketch of what I have in mind for sidebars in the topic view:

post-151363-0-02899200-1308941991_thumb.

Basically, all buttons, options, etc. would be moved to the sidebar (except the title, author, and date). This would make things look cleaner and more organized, PLUS it would improve legibility because people wouldn't have to read such long lines of text on posts.

Vince from InvisionModding made the best marketing tool for IPB that I have ever seen. The blocks system would allow you to place blocks on the top, bottom, left or right - then it would allow you to choose which groups could see them or hide them. Best of all, you could choose where they would appear: board, forum, topic views, etc.

This would allow one to target specific ads to specific users and areas of the site.

I get that IPB doesn't want columns and clutter, etc. But this is how marketing is done and why so many people (including myself) run a lot of sites on VB. It seems that IPB is targeting their product to companies and corporations while VB targets toward general communities. Both are fine strategies, however, my sites are for public, commentary which is where VB has the edge - at least in this specific area.

I do believe that IPB has a better product, better staff, better developers and a better community, so this pains me.

Is this feature going to make it into 3.2?

I hope so. I would really hate this to turn into just another hook as I keep hearing when they feel this feature "isn't necessary". This is necessary IMO. If not by default, at least as an option in the ACP.

I hope so. I would really hate this to turn into just another hook as I keep hearing when they feel this feature "isn't necessary". This is necessary IMO. If not by default, at least as an option in the ACP.

A lot of customers would make use of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was very disappointed to find out the sidebar only shows on the main page and no place in ACP to change this to all pages.

This is something that is a must to keep the IPB Customers Happy

Hopefully the people here at IPB will see that it needs to be added ASAP, before more people like myself look at moving to VBull

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 on this one.

We have the real estate now, with 80%+ of the browsers displaying at least 1024px wide or larger. We should also have more control over the type and content of sidebar blocks without having to use hooks. We may as well be using phpBB or SMF when we start loading up our forums with third-party hooks and apps.

On a side note, I am pretty sure it is against google adsense policy to have ads that be obscured, hidden and/or not always visible to people. Basically if the side bar can be collapsed and the ad hidden then you are violating google adsense rules. Be careful. Let me know if this is wrong...

Well, since this feature was not included in 3.2, what options do we have now? Are there any mods that do this? If not, can we customize the code to accomplish it? I am mainly interested in the Ads, but the navigation would be nice too.

There's a mod in the market place which ads a sidebar to topic pages - it works fine, but I couldn't get it to parse IP.Content blocks. So I looked at the files and it was fairly easy to figure out the template edits to make. I've had it working on a test site. I've only just shifted to 3.2 - once I'm satisfied that's gone smoothly I'm going to add the sidebar.

This is the mod, I think

That's only for topic pages. I may look at adding it to forum listings, but to be honest most of my members seem to go between new content, the portal, and topic pages.

I've been using this for some time:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/332000-download-dp32-global-sidebars/page__hl__dp32+sidebars__fromsearch__1

Pretty sloppy, but it gets the job done. If someone could perfect it, we would all be in good shape!

Looks like crap on any page with a sidebar BTW... blogs, downloads, gallery, articles, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived