Please include integrated sidebar ad code in 3.2

wgl

We currently have header, footer and after first post ad integration. Conspicuously missing is any sidebar ad code integration.

Please include sidebar ad code integration that will apply to Board Index, Forum View and Topic View.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no sidebar on any page other than the board index. If you would like a sidebar ad on the other pages, you would need to create your own HTML sidebar that will accomplish what you wish. Currently, there is no need for a sidebar on any other page than the board index.

There is no sidebar on any page other than the board index. If you would like a sidebar ad on the other pages, you would need to create your own HTML sidebar that will accomplish what you wish. Currently, there is no need for a sidebar on any other page than the board index.

Sir, you may not need sidebar anywhere other than on the index page but I assure you there are plenty of us who DO need it.

Include it so that it's there for those of us who need it and those of you who don't need don't have to activate it.

That is also a very very big wish from me. For sites that make money on advertising this is really an important issue. Having the sidebar on all pages makes a perfect place for a mix of ads and inf-boxes pointing to other contant on your site.

• 4 weeks later...

Me too as well.

I have a couple of larger sites that I'd like to convert from vB to IPB and this is one of the reasons why I can't. ;)

-Chris

Do hold off man... I messed up one of my money makers and now im stuck on IP with no sidebar. It's painful but hoping for a fix soon!

Do hold off man... I messed up one of my money makers and now im stuck on IP with no sidebar. It's painful but hoping for a fix soon!

Thanks for the advice. I use PHP Portal and vBadvanced to get the sidebar on my forums. I converted my smallest sites to IPB pretty much as test and to get used to the software. As it stands now, IMO IPB is the company and the software that is progressing the fastest, although vBulletin 3.8 still has a few more built in features and has some helpful features built into the control panel that IPB currently doesn't.

I think things will be really interesting a year or two from now, as I think IPB and XenForo will be clearly at the top of the heap with vB falling behind.

But time will ultimately tell.

-Chris

Well I used the "Everywhere Sidebar" plugin on VB 4 and it worked great. We use it to display ads, and additional nav links to get members around the site. I consider it a necessity.

I agree that IPB SEEMS like the go to company right now, but I will be a better judge after this upcoming release. So far I am very disappointed with the following:

their license transfer policy
view new content function
RSS feeds
admin area
lack of "tags"
lack of sidebar options
bug ridden releases with no maintenance releases planned
Sloppy "pages" feature with it being really hard to design a homepage, or even make ip.content appear as your homepage.
Permissions that seem to be buried all over the place. If you're used to VB, you're going to hate this.
Weird behavior of the search box up top and apparently no way to change it.
Overall lack of mods to improve the software.

They have some good ideas but it seems like they take a long time to make thing happen. I figure they have been here 10 years so you would think they would be lightyears ahead of a stuffy, corporate run piece of software like vbulletin. I haven't found that to the case though.

I have one site that I honestly have no plans of converting unless some big things happen over here on IP. I cant stand VB - their support is weak and the product even weaker but at the end of the day, they have features that make me money so it's hard to let go.

• 3 months later...

It's a mystery to me why this is still missing. There are dozens of sidebar hooks, but all of them, incl. marketing related ones like 'Adsense', are for board index only. You must have a pretty big board to be able to get anything out of an Adsense banner that's only displayed at the board index.
There were some talk about [url=" it in 3.1.
Up to now we have been using the mod that's mentioned here, problem is that large images, when maximized, disappear under the sidebar.

Well I used the "Everywhere Sidebar" plugin on VB 4 and it worked great. We use it to display ads, and additional nav links to get members around the site. I consider it a necessity.

I agree that IPB SEEMS like the go to company right now, but I will be a better judge after this upcoming release. So far I am very disappointed with the following:

their license transfer policy

view new content function

RSS feeds

admin area

lack of "tags"

lack of sidebar options

bug ridden releases with no maintenance releases planned

Sloppy "pages" feature with it being really hard to design a homepage, or even make ip.content appear as your homepage.

Permissions that seem to be buried all over the place. If you're used to VB, you're going to hate this.

Weird behavior of the search box up top and apparently no way to change it.

Overall lack of mods to improve the software.

They have some good ideas but it seems like they take a long time to make thing happen. I figure they have been here 10 years so you would think they would be lightyears ahead of a stuffy, corporate run piece of software like vbulletin. I haven't found that to the case though.

I have one site that I honestly have no plans of converting unless some big things happen over here on IP. I cant stand VB - their support is weak and the product even weaker but at the end of the day, they have features that make me money so it's hard to let go.

Yes I'd also like to see sidebar options, tags, and a work over of the likes of IPcontent to be as easy to use as vb's cms.. Also as mentioned an easier and more fluid image upload ability.

It's a mystery to me why this is still missing. There are dozens of sidebar hooks, but all of them, incl. marketing related ones like 'Adsense', are for board index only. You must have a pretty big board to be able to get anything out of an Adsense banner that's only displayed at the board index.

There were some talk about [url="

it in 3.1[/url].

Up to now we have been using the mod that's mentioned [url="http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/317975-ads-column-to-the-right"]here[/url], problem is that large images, when maximized, disappear under the sidebar.

Would also like to see this.

I know that having converted it was probably the biggest issue that we had as it has definitely affected the number of posts in other sections and has been missed.

I am looking forward to the day when it is included by default.

I totally agree with this topic and with Calumps to at least give us the option in the ACP whether to implement this on our boards or not. I mean, it can't hurt, right? You don't have to add it by default, but it would be nice to let us choose to add it to our board through the ACP.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived