IPS, why do you want to disclose our emails?

Enkidu

• Management

Requirements for purchases to complete (most practical ones being of legal nature, others relatively ethical, such as requiring opt-ins rather than opt-outs, disclosures, disclaimers). An italian member elaborated more about one case affecting his business and legal situation with the fisc.

Could you perhaps respond to my post above? I am curious how we could make it clearer that your email address wil be revealed if you buy a paid file listing.

Here?
Enlarging the disclaimer box, require scrolldowns for all the terms to have been displayed, or keep required conditions separate from the disclaimer box and separately selectable (the email disclosure is displayed at the very bottom and the purpose of that not explained). Most tend to not scrolldown, thereby a part of terms is as good as hidden wheres completing purchases without being aware of parts of the contract can render them void in a number of juridictions. Clearly email disclosure should always be required to proceed (this wasn't an issue). Keeping users aware in advance of such requirements and the terms for any additional/extra requirement also could spare from complaints after realization such as in this thread.

Over time and as creative uses of Nexus for basing businesses evolve, taking common purchase factors based on realworld business practices (such as bundling, providing or selling extra addons with parent purchases, branding removals), and legislation in consideration could be seen as desirable.
As a practical example for addons, as branding removal is usually large enough for getting a piece of that to be worth a thought, integrating that in the purchase process of its parent addon (the actual theme) could provide a welcome higher transaction fee for the marketplace maintainers. Perhaps seeing 'email me for branding removal' messages rather than the process being integrated too here for everyone's convenience just irks me.

Yeah, perhaps offtopic by now.

• Management

People "tend" not to read any disclaimer with or without without a scroll bar :)

Comes down to the fact that we aren't hiding this information, it's just an email address, and it's only for paid files that you buy. All seems quite reasonable to me.

It's an email address... If they spam you, add them to a junk filter and report it to IPS.. Simple as that

Your not going to purchase a mod from a developer you don't trust be it on their website or here... Plus the only difference is, IPS is acting as the transaction processor... So either way, your going to give them your email address for a receipt etc..

Lord, they aren't given them your Social Security number

How is this different than any other online stores? If you buy anything online, you are required to enter your email address, and some times they even want your full name, address and birth date.

deference is: they tell you load and clear that they don't give (sell) your email to third parties.

deference is: they tell you load and clear that they don't give (sell) your email to third parties.

Not sure if this was directed to us, but we do not sell your email to any third parties either. Your email is only available to the author of the work you are purchasing, and you are making an active conscious decision to purchase their work, with a forewarning publicly posted on the purchase/download page. We're quite up front about what will happen.

Not sure if this was directed to us, but we do not sell your email to any third parties either. Your email is only available to the author of the work you are purchasing, and you are making an active conscious decision to purchase their work, with a forewarning publicly posted on the purchase/download page. We're quite up front about what will happen.

It wasn't directed to IPS :)

It wasn't directed to IPS :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can tell you right now that I don't give or sell your email to third parties - not the least of which because it's illegal for companies in my country to do so without conscious approval from the customer, and because my own privacy policy says I won't. That said, I didn't link my privacy policy on my submission, so hmm. Should fix that.

I think you'll find that the likelihood of any marketplace author selling off your email is really, really low. And if they did sell it off, they'd quite likely find themselves with no storefront quite quickly.

Appeal to ridicule

is a logical fallacy which presents the opponent's argument in a way that appears ridiculous, often to the extent of creating a straw man of the actual argument, rather than addressing the argument itself.

Privacy is always a concern. If you wanna make this topic look ridiculous by saying: but when you buy from website X, they will get your email and IP and home address and blah blah, or by saying: Gee it's not like you're giving your credit card number blah blah, then you're simply missing the point.

Although I agree privacy is important Enkidu, unfortunately without a simple means of identification like email, it would discourage me from listing paid mods and I assume other modders as well. You can still treat Marketplace purchases like you would if you were purchasing from a modders site to ensure trust. e.g. check support topics are answered, search forums for any feedback about the modder etc....

This whoie discussion feels like a...

+1 for Star Trek reference :D

Privacy is always a concern. If you wanna make this topic look ridiculous by saying: but when you buy from website X, they will get your email and IP and home address and blah blah, or by saying: Gee it's not like you're giving your credit card number blah blah, then you're simply missing the point.

I agree that privacy is always a concern. However, with all due respect, one can argue that you are also missing the point.
There are lots of situations where I would agree, that having trusted IPS with my email, I expect them to stick to general privacy policy practices.

But this is NOT one of them. In this case where they are acting as an agent for a digital purchase and they submit what is the accepted identifier for most digital transactions, to the real seller. And they tell you they are doing so.

Your argument, is like saying you want to purchase an airline ticket from your travel agent, but expect them NOT to give your name to the airline company (who will be providing you the flight seat).
Your travel agent will certainly respond (as IPS does here) by saying "then go buy your ticket directly at the airline company and see if you get away without giving your name".

If you don't want to give your name/email, don't make the purchase. Simple as that.

If you purchase a script you it wouldn't be a huge issue to give them your e-mail.

I mean, What is more likely to give security risk? A script which can be pretty much be abused to send spam mail or simply only give your e-mail to someone else you payed for that script. It could be worse though - They could have included a part in the application that harvest the e-mails of all your members and sends it to the script author.

In my honest opinion it requires more trust to use a script created by someone else :lol:

I think this thread should be closed.

I'm tempted to agree :) , as its just going around in circles.

Ultimately, the email disclosure is in the download disclaimer, and its not as though its just handed out 'just like that' or anything. I do not see it as any different myself to (as has already been stated) if you purchased an application via Paypal that would give them an email too.

• 4 months later...

I think you'll find that the likelihood of any marketplace author selling off your email is really, really low. And if they did sell it off, they'd quite likely find themselves with no storefront quite quickly.

Well I've just had some unsolicited email promoting an IPB modifications board that I've never heard of before. The only link is the author of a product I purchased 4 months ago.

Not entirely happy about it. Whilst I saw and agreed to the email notice prior to download, I used my personal email domain to register with IPB as it was solely used official purposes at the time. My paypal one is generic by choice as I knew it would become publicly available. I take these precautions to deliberately avoid and reduce spam and unsolicited email to my private email box.

Personally I dont see any need for a modifier to have the registered email address. If its a free product they don't need it, if its paid then they get the email used for the transaction.

All it takes is one bad apple.

*facepalm* And you were going to buy that modification with what email then if you weren't going to buy it from the Marketplace here? You can always report them as a spammer, blacklist their email, tell IOPS, and/or make your email here something not important if you want.

I'd prefer they have my paypal email address just like every other site I purchase from with paypal. Besides, if the spam starts to pile up I can change my paypal email address.

Personally, I have many email addresses for different sites. I don't like to weed through a bunch of emails just to find what I am looking for. I know which emails are for what sites and their importance as well.

I look at the forum threads for updates or the author's site if it's an important mod. However, why can't there be a system like vb.org where you get an email notification sent from vb.org's site each time there is an update to a mod?

I look at the forum threads for updates or the author's site if it's an important mod. However, why can't there be a system like vb.org where you get an email notification sent from vb.org's site each time there is an update to a mod?

It could be documented better, but you can achieve this by visiting the mod's download page and clicking "Like". You will then receive an email (or PM, or mobile push notification) when it is updated.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone do not want share with email, then send PM to the mod author, he give you ( or should ) PayPal @ - send him $, he'll send you mod. Easy.

I disagree. Did you think of what happens if the mod author is away or..or not online for a while, someone sends the author money for one of his/her mods, and the buyer can't get it because the author isn't online? It's best to purchase via the marketplace. It makes absolute obvious sense. ;)

Archived