IPS, why do you want to disclose our emails?

Enkidu

Hello

Recently, IPS has introduced marketplace APIs where paid file submitters can get a list of who have purchased their files along with their email addresses. While I really love the marketplace idea because I don't have to register and pass my information to potentially less secure websites everytime I wanna purchase something, but with features always come the possibility of abuse.

I just don't get why you guys wanna give our emails to third parties? Emails are supposed to be private and we haven't really given you permission to do so. Besides, how is that gonna benefit the developers? What's in it for them? Wouldn't you think that they might try to contact the people who purchased their files through the emails they've scraped? How is that beneficial to contributors? I don't get it. How my email is going to be useful to files submitters.

and why emails? Why not display names? why not member IDs? why does it have to be emails? I really don't wanna make a :frantics: about it but, IMO, emails should be kept private unless we give the permission to pass it to whom ever you want.

• Management

The API is only available to authors of paid files in the Marketplace. Seeing as you are purchasing something from them it seems logical that they may need to contact you for update announcements, technical support, etc.

Before you purchase the file it clearly states on the download disclaimer that your email address will be revealed to the author if, and only if, you actually click purchase, go to PayPal, and submit payment. If you do not wish to reveal your email address then do not complete that process. To your point about permission: by completing the payment process you are giving permission.

Where's the fire? A way to contact buyers of paid apps doesn't strike as odd.
The same cant be said of free addons, needless to precise. When no money exchange takes place, there is no entitlement to the emails of downloaders. Customers' own marketplaces could be abused by malicious file submitters to hoard emails (could bypass a board default of not allowing other members to see each other's email adresses).

The API is only available to authors of paid files in the Marketplace. Seeing as you are purchasing something from them it seems logical that they may need to contact you for update announcements, technical support, etc.

Before you purchase the file it clearly states on the download disclaimer that your email address will be revealed to the author if, and only if, you actually click purchase, go to PayPal, and submit payment. If you do not wish to reveal your email address then do not complete that process. To your point about permission: by completing the payment process you are giving permission.

OK that seems legally sound. But It's not abuse safe. You said it yourself, the authors might, and actually will, contact me about updates...in theory but in a real world they gonna spam me about new products.

As for getting updates, I thought this feature is already there in IP.D.

Not really a good idea.

I'm going to change my address here from [email="myemail@some.com"]myemail@some.com[/email] to [email="myemail@sometingelse.com"]myemail@sometingelse.com[/email] for the purpose of the file purchase.

Forget to change it back and and important emails from IPS are going to the new address,not in use anymore.

:unsure: Don't do that then?

If anyone do not want share with email, then send PM to the mod author, he give you ( or should ) PayPal @ - send him $, he'll send you mod. Easy.

Disregarding that sending a payment through Paypal gives them your email anyway...

As Brandon and Charles said, nothing has really changed here--IPS is just acting as the middleman now, and warning you that we resource authors might ask for details on who's bought our products to help provide better support.

I have no intention of using the data for anything beside record-keeping, myself.

So you trust us that we don't put backdoors, trojans, or other malicious stuff into our modifications that could break (or delete) your forum (I know the Marketplace moderators will spot that now2), but you are afraid that we're going to "spam" your email with upcoming products and updates, or sell it to a 3rd party?

• Management

To clarify:

• The fact that an email address is revealed is clearly disclosed before purchase.
  • It is only shown on PAID files and ONLY if you actually buy that file.
  • Only the author of the file can access it, with permission, via a special API.
  • If the author abuses that privilege their access to the Marketplace will be revoked.

If you are not comfortable for some reason with any of the above do not purchase files from the Marketplace.

I don't see how people expect mod authors to keep a list and details about their sales without an email. Almost every site now adays need that information, and even if you didn't purchase directly from the marketplace here, many sites require you to sign up before purchase, and they can still get your email.

Most legally operating sites are required to have a Unsubscribe button anyways, so I don't see what the big problem is.I for one would never sell something without getting some type of information for my records and a contact address should something go wrong, or if they need support.

So you trust us that we don't put backdoors, trojans, or other malicious stuff into our modifications that could break (or delete) your forum (I know the Marketplace moderators will spot that now2), but you are afraid that we're going to "spam" your email with upcoming products and updates, or sell it to a 3rd party?

No. It's not like that. Firstly, I don't install anyone's mod but rather the ones I trust. Secondly, there are people who are going to abuse the system (Murphy's Law). I'm not saying everyone is going to but it only takes one bad person to ruin my life.

Again, however, if you had purchased the file directly from the modification author outside of our site, they'd have your PayPal email address anyways. So you're not really exposing anything now that you wouldn't have before. There really is nothing to be concerned about. If you were going to buy the file, the author would have your email address already anyways.

It is still not clear that or which extra data is sent to submitters without a clear opt-out method other than not clicking download after hopefully having viewed this thread (there being no guarantees the amount and nature of those would not be changed or such changes be disclosed).

How about marking on the download process the list of requirements for purchases to complete, leaving non-fixed ones selectable, and require that all of them (here, sending email information, but could be extended to accept receiving an update newsletter, affiliate offer, being over a certain age -not a selectable field obviously if users already have birthdays entered in their accounts-, living in specific geographic areas/juridictions where patents are unappliccalbe, waiving rights, or addons' of the current item being available for bundling at a price -like for branding removal-, or whatever imagination and regular business practices dictate) for the download process to be possible to continue (none of this sneaky email disclosure).

Th email is the only "extra data", everything else passed in the API (ID of the file purchased, your user ID and display name on the forum) is already public and visible to everyone.

I really don't get why everyone is concerned about that? :unsure: When you purchase a modification directly from the site author you give out your paypal email as well as the email used to register on the site if it's different from the paypal one :ermm:

Requirements for purchases to complete (most practical ones being of legal nature, others relatively ethical, such as requiring opt-ins rather than opt-outs, disclosures, disclaimers). An italian member elaborated more about one case affecting his business and legal situation with the fisc.

Archived