Like Button similar to XenForo

Anthony.

its kinda annoying to see so many requests that says "similar to XenForo".. i do not think this is how you do things...
I mean IPB is better then XenForo in so many things .. i do not see topics in XF forum asking to mimic IP.Board .. every one has their own way of doing things or else there wont be variety of products / soft wares to pick from .. will all be the same !

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its kinda annoying to see so many requests that says "similar to XenForo".. i do not think this is how you do things...

I mean IPB is better then XenForo in so many things .. i do not see topics in XF forum asking to mimic IP.Board .. every one has their own way of doing things or else there wont be variety of products / soft wares to pick from .. will all be the same !

I don't think you're correct here. There are a fair number of threads that mentions specific features that IPB has that people over at xF wants or is suggesting they look into.

I think it's just a matter of business.. when something new be it a whole script or just an updated one, there are people that will want the very best for their site.

This is why I mentioned eariler that people here need to be open and understand that some things xF will do will be better and there is no shame in saying hey, that's a great idea, let's see how we can implement it better here...

You have people in vB, xF, SMF, phpBB, IPB and any other platform looking at the competitors and wanting more out of their script. It's the nature of customers..

As a customer, I love it when I see these threads because in the end, no matter what script you run, you the customer will win as all the script will get better through competition..

Jamie

I don't think you're correct here. There are a fair number of threads that mentions specific features that IPB has that people over at xF wants or is suggesting they look into.

I think it's just a matter of business.. when something new be it a whole script or just an updated one, there are people that will want the very best for their site.

This is why I mentioned eariler that people here need to be open and understand that some things xF will do will be better and there is no shame in saying hey, that's a great idea, let's see how we can implement it better here...

You have people in vB, xF, SMF, phpBB, IPB and any other platform looking at the competitors and wanting more out of their script. It's the nature of customers..

As a customer, I love it when I see these threads because in the end, no matter what script you run, you the customer will win as all the script will get better through competition..

Jamie

I wasn't talking about competition though, I only meant that we do not need to mimic them. yes, do it better / add more ideas to it and even then its not necessary for IPS to create each and every function that exists in other systems

I don't have an issue with that per-se. It's just the thoughtless "please add this Facebook feature" without considering how it will affect the forum. Much like suggesting we transplant eagle wings onto a family member because eagles can fly and flying is cool.

For the record, I don't think that a "like" feature is a bad idea. It's just that I want to fully consider how it fits in with our current reputation system. It would be wrong to throw out a feature on a whimsy.

If you want ideas for a reputation system that works, look at forums that have been using them successfully. "Hot Deal" sites have been using them for years. A couple large ones I'm familiar with (they both happen to be vB, but are using custom coded reputation systems):

[url="http://www.fatwallet.com/forums"]http://www.fatwallet.com/forums[/url]

[url="http://slickdeals.net/forums/"]http://slickdeals.net/forums/[/url]

They have some differences. One only allows voting on topics, the other allows votes on topics and individual posts. One presents reputation information in the user profile view (post sorting), the other very little. They share more similarities:

• They allow both positive and negative rep.
  • The reputation of each thread is clearly visible on the forum index.
  • There are badges or titles awarded for reaching certain reputation goals.
  • The reputation of each member is clearly visible in the topic view.
  • There is transparency about who voted on each topic.
  • There is transparency about which users topics received votes.
  • You can filter and sort threads based on reputation.

The current reputation system is not visible enough to encourage participation. One reason xF's system was 'liked'.

drupal had a simple module that allowed you to add a "flag" (one or more) to any item of content

the beauty of it was that this "flag" could then be used for many things

a like system, a reputation system, a bookmark system, a rating system, a report system, even a playlist

rather than add two different systems, maybe a simple "flagging system" which offers a fair degree of customisation (choice) may be better suited

after all with most of the above examples its not the actual mechanics that is the difference (any flag is either on or off or not set ) but rather it is just a case of different " text" or "images" along side the flagging button or when displaying the flagged data

Just wondering (I didn't bother read whole thread), will there be an option to "like" individual posts within a thread, and at the same time give reputation? Or, when you rep a post, you will automatically "like" it as well so it show on facebook?

You know IPB HAS to put a "like" button when Larry King on CNN asks his users to "Like" him on Facebook. :whistle:

Yeah, that better be sarcastic because as far as anybody knows Larry King isn't a member of any IPB forums and once again the like feature that everybody is talking about that you brought up has nothing to do with facebook.

Archived