Like Button similar to XenForo

Anthony.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what the xenForo "Like" button is, However IPB does integrate with the Facebook Like Button.

Additionally, today Matt posted a video showing the new IP.Gallery features, which will have a new ajax "Favorite" button that will eventually roll out to cover threads as well. :thumbsup:

I don't know what the xenForo "Like" button is, However IPB does integrate with the Facebook Like Button.

Additionally, today Matt posted a video showing the new IP.Gallery features, which will have a new ajax "Favorite" button that will eventually roll out to cover threads as well. :thumbsup:

Great, it seems like I won't be buying XenForo anymore

To IPB developers, the RED HOT LIKE ALERT is very addictive ... please consider adding it. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Below is link attesting to this on xenforo.

xenforo - RED HOT LIKE ALERT

Make it so you can restrict how many things you can like, so you don't end up with mindless like spam similar to Facebook and XenForo. You would have to unlike something, limit it like the rep system, or have past likes removed as you like something else. If you like something then you should mean it.

• Management

To IPB developers, the RED HOT LIKE ALERT is [u]very addictive[/u] ... please consider adding it. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Below is link attesting to this on xenforo.

[url="http://xenforo.com/community/threads/who-has-been-looking-for-the-like-button-on-their-forums-already.4301/"]xenforo - RED HOT LIKE ALERT[/url]

You can already positive rep a post with ipb. I do this a lot on this forum.

It's very easy to add this into your skin template:
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like

The problem is that Facebook doesn't recognize dynamic PHP URLs, so it basically treats your whole forum as one big "Like" page. Liking one page will make the Like count go up for every other one on your site. You need some kind of permalink to give to Facebook.

I would really like to see this solved. I think the Facebook Like button gets more usage because it isn't an annoyance. There's also the benefit of seeing how many people like a page. This is important because we want to provide our users with a means to get exposure through us. The whole point is to get our site out into the social network to reach new people.

We use the rep system as a "Like" system at my forum. We don't really have a need for rep, but members enjoy "liking" forum posts. I don't see a reason to have both a rep and a built in IPB like system separate from FB's (which it sounds like this is suggesting?).

The point of Facebook "Like" is to get exposure for your site and your user's content outside your own site.

The IPB rep system is not useful to me because it does not advertise my site outside of my own domain.

Doesn't IPB already have an option to enable the Facebook Like button, though?

Not for blogs, that I know of.

Oh, well they do have one for IPB topics and will have one for IPC articles in the next release, so I wouldn't think one for the blogs system would be too out there of a request. But yeah, I fully agree with having an actual Facebook Like button (which is already in place in forum topics), but an IPB built like system seems unnecessary with the rep system in place.

Everyone to their own I suppose but personally I detest facebook and will never understand why so many forums now attempt to "emulate" it in so many ways,I like IPB for the simple fact you can make your forum "individual" and stand out from the norm in so many ways at times its beyond belief.
As for Facebook generating traffic to your site, I ain't seen that happen :lol:

Facebook,Twitter etc etc, Sod em IPB all the way ;)

Everyone to their own I suppose but personally I detest facebook and will never understand why so many forums now attempt to "emulate" it in so many ways,I like IPB for the simple fact you can make your forum "individual" and stand out from the norm in so many ways at times its beyond belief.

As for Facebook generating traffic to your site, I ain't seen that happen :lol:

Facebook,Twitter etc etc, Sod em IPB all the way ;)

The xenforo " red hot like " button is only for inside xenforo ... THIS is what I wish IPB would implement asap.

Matt its WAY more useful and ADDICTIVE that rep numbers ... please re-consider ... if anything give admins the option of enabling it or not :rolleyes:

The xenforo " red hot like " button is only for inside xenforo ... THIS is what I wish IPB would implement asap.

Matt its WAY more useful and ADDICTIVE that rep numbers ... please re-consider ... if anything give admins the option of enabling it or not :rolleyes:

Did you see Matt's reply? We already have it. It's just styled different. Enable only positive reps, change the template to list the users on the page instead of in a popup, and then change the icon from a plus symbol to a "Like" button. Done - you have a "red hot like button" now without any new feature set required on our side.

The "like" button on the forum you posted a link to looks exactly like the standard Facebook "like" button. :huh:

Who cares? The fact remains it is effective in attracting traffic.

The reputation system is the exact same thing as any big red hot fat obese Like button out there. You have to understand that one + year ago, the big thing was to have a reputation system. Everyone wanted that, so they did it for 3.0. The wording is, in my opinion, a bit obsolete though. I don't think we still want a "Reputation system" because we are used/addicated to Facebook's "LIKE" system. The only thing that's really missing is the ability to change your mind (Unlike).

You can already positive rep a post with ipb. I do this a lot on this forum.

I have a very active forum, and I can tell you NO ONE uses it. Or very few. Less than 1%. I "like" the xenforo implementation. It see others do as well. Not to mention trophies. Brilliant.

Sorry, but I feel like IPB is in Seattle, and Xenforo in Cupertino. :ph34r:

Archived