Close to Moving Back to Vbulletin

RonR

BTW - most of this discussion has been about warnings, not reports. Would it really be useful to see recent warnings in view new content? :unsure: I can understand reports, but not sure about warnings?

Yes, and ideally I'd have that as a forum topic too. If I'm issuing a warning there's a good chance I'm going to want to also discuss it with moderators (even if it's just to say 'This %$

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. When I warn a member, I have to manually include a link to the post or copy/paste the content. I have to manually send a PM. IMO this should all be automated.
One also can't view the warn status in a single window. There's the log window and there's the window that shows for how long a member is suspended

Why do you have to manually send a PM? There is an option right from the warn form to send a PM. :unsure: You DO have to fill in the content, but that's because you could be warning the user for any of a number of reasons - there's no easy way to automate the message that is sent, because each board's rules are different.

My problems with the warning system are bellow...

They don't expire, give an option to the moderator if they want to PM the member, shows in topic view, or give much notice to other staff about the new warnings. If I was given a warning, I'd just get back to posting without that big oppressive warning bar on every one of my posts. If there's ever an option for warnings to expire, it would be nice to have an option for keeping the warning notes or having them disappear completely.

Then you have bans, yet no way to leave notes to why a person is banned or a ban message. A suspension can come from warnings, but at least the member had warnings that tell them what lead to their suspension.

Are you revering to the "infractions Tab" on the vBulletin member profile page that informs mods of why this person has infractions" and how many "infractions the person has gotten

To expand on my post from last night:

We mostly have all the functionality that is required but it can do with an interface clean up. We do want to do this for a near future release to improve the moderator's workflow and make managing the forum a little easier.

Like most things, if you are used to doing it in a vB-centric way (set infractions) then you want to emulate that in our software. As Brandon and others have pointed out, we do have similar functionality but it's just presented in a different way.

What do you have in mind for said features? I would like for my Smods to have a place that they can get some work done withough having to give them access to the admin CP and restricting alot of stuff

As others have mentioned, I think it would be nice to have all warnings put into the report center, and/or the ability to send warnings and reports to a forum so the entire staff remains up to date with who has been warned and why. Both the warning system and report system needs to do a better job at keeping all the staff up to date with what is going on with the forum. The report system was a big improvement to IPB, but it could definitely see more improvements. I like the idea of having reported content (both warnings and reports) show up in the view new content search results, and/or have them show up as posts in a forum specified by admin. This also allows the staff to discuss the issue and to know when a report or warning post has been responded to by another staff member. Expiring the warnings is also a great idea and would allow the members to start over again on the right foot without having to manually lower their warn level, if you remember too of course.

If you have to constantly warn your community, something is wrong.

Ban your most obnoxious member and make an example out of them. Problem solved.

Coming back to this...

This quoted message above, is quite frankly, offensive.

If that's how you run your board, I pity your members.

I'm another one who would love a notification when someone posts a response in the report centre. We sometimes have an reported person/issue we wish to discuss, and we end up starting a new topic in the mod section and moving it there. It would be nice if we could simply continue the discussion in the report centre, and all be informed when there is something new added. :)

Some excellent points in this thread (and some not so constructive !) - so my own personal summarisation would be

1 When a Member is "Warned" - some form of report is either pinged into the Report Center, or, into a chosen forum
2 Warning that have an expiration date - so that they are in effect "rolling" ie +1 point for 90 days, which then subsequently falls off.
3 Some form of notification system for current and expired warnings

I realise that points 1 & 2 are similar to what exist in vBulletin, however, they work well and can only add to ipb.

It can't be that difficult surely, that once a Warn Increase is completed and the Submit button pressed, that the contents on the warn are sent to a special subforum, or, into the report centre ?

• Management

It looks like an incestuous microcosm to me, not a focus group.

Hah, well I won't disagree entirely. Any close knit group is bound to come across as slightly incestuous and a single website is indeed a microcosm but that doesn't mean that we don't get a wide variety of opinion from people from all walks of life.

Also worth keeping in mind we're exposed to feedback via phone calls, sales tickets, support tickets and more. We don't base any decisions solely on the most popular topics in this forum.

Please keep in mind there are dozens of features in IPB that are not in vb.

We are not, and never will be, a vb clone. We are not out to copy what another software has done. We have our own vision that is shaped by the community here based on feedback and suggestions, and this works well for us, allowing us to deliver what our customers want, rather than what another software package might have that our customers have no need for.

When IPB 3.0 came with the new Member Bar, where did vBulletin 4.0 came with? The same navbar but then with different images, an other excample, the User Menu, has bin put next of the logo. Vbulletin, puts also there the member bar. But then also different. So I thing that vBull is an copy of IPB with an higher price.

Sorry for my English, Im dutch.

except for poor warning system on IPB that we never used, IPB 's "flag as spam" is not working well either
Even we flag someone as flag, we still need to log in ACP to remove all of his posts and ban spammer

on VB, you could do everything from "flaging->banning->removing all posts" in the front end of forum , very handy

If we could suggest, and suggested before, it might be a better way for IPS to think a way to integrate warning+reputation+rating all scattered and seldom used functions

That said, if a feature *is* heavily suggested and we feel it is useful - we will see about including it, again regardless whether or not vBulletin has it.

I think that is the perceived problem.

A new feature has to be heavily suggested, then IPS have to feel it is useful and then IPS will see about including it with no guarantee.

Archived