Edit Permission Set: pure misery

PandemicSoul

My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. I couldn't find a specific topic about it.

Let me begin by saying the "Edit Permission Set" page is pure misery, if you have a lot of forums. I can't believe that every iteration of IPB has gone from bad to worse with this one page.

It used to be that it was difficult to manage multiple forums on this page, but at least they were broken up into categories. Now they're just one long list of forums, and I swear to god, trying to go down the list of check-boxes, over the course of about 500 forums, is like looking into a blackhole. It makes your mind start to scream. I realize that there's a lot of people who don't have as many forums as I do, but we have dozens of forums, and sub-forums, which are intermittently available to some permission masks, and not others.

Here's an example: Category 1 contains "general news" forums that everyone can view. But Category 2 contains admin-only forums. Category three contains mostly general member forums that everyone can view, but some forums have a sub-forum that's only for admins. So you can imagine that setting, for example, the "Validating" mask is a complete nightmare, because I have to go line-by-line over dozens of forums to see "Can a validating member access this? Can they post here? Or just see the forums?" It's awful, and I get a headache almost immediately.

Here's how to make it better:

1. Return forums to Category groupings on this page.

2. Break down "mass editing" by "all forums" and "this category". So, for example, I should be able to set ALL FORUMS to "Show," but then go back to a specific Category and uncheck "Show" JUST for those forums.

3. Figure out a way that doesn't require me to "check the box." Surely there's some kind of javascript where I can drag-and-click multiple forums and then set their permissions? (For example: select forums 1, 3, 5, 10 and set "Show" / "Post" / "Reply". As opposed to: forum 1 show, forum 1 post, forum 1 reply.)

Please, I'm begging you: just make this panel easier to work with, for those people with a large number of forums. I'm not kidding when I say that I literally get a headache trying to work in this area.

Archived