The moderating team are listed as Administrators

karll

After I gave restricted access to the AdminCP, the moderators are now listed as "Administrators" on "The moderating team" page. I would suggest to change this so that only proper administrators are listed as administrators.

Make the restricted admin group a secondary group to the user(modadmin), and moderator their primary group. and they won't show up that way.

Thanks, that is a good idea for a workaround! (Though I would still like to see this implemented properly.)

Thanks, that is a good idea for a workaround! (Though I would still like to see this implemented properly.)

It IS implemented properly. Even restricted access to the ACP is ACP (thus admin) access. It wouldn't make sense to place all those with ACP access into a group of moderators.

That 'workaround' is actually the proper way to give ACP access without someone being labeled an administrator. So it's not really a workaround at all.

It IS implemented properly. Even restricted access to the ACP is ACP (thus admin) access.

I disagree. ACP access is not the same as "administrator". Giving restricted ACP access is the only way to give moderators any reasonable level of moderating powers, but that doesn't make them administrators. What constitutes an administrator varies wildly between forums and is a feature of the culture of each forum. Why can't they just list the moderating groups without confusing the matter with who has ACP access?

Also, it's inconsistent with the "badge" underneath our avatars & user title where it says "Admin" for those who really are administrators and "Staff" for the moderators.

On our forum we have two "moderating" groups: Administrators and Moderators. The moderating team page lists everyone as "Administrators". Obviously, this is confusing.

It wouldn't make sense to place all those with ACP access into a group of moderators. That 'workaround' is actually the proper way to give ACP access without someone being labeled an administrator. So it's not really a workaround at all.

Doesn't sound very proper to me :)

I disagree. ACP access is not the same as "administrator". Giving restricted ACP access is the only way to give moderators any reasonable level of moderating powers, but that doesn't make them administrators. What constitutes an administrator varies wildly between forums and is a feature of the culture of each forum. Why can't they just list the moderating groups without confusing the matter with who has ACP access?

An administrator (as far as programming is concerned) is someone with ACP access, restricted or not. What you want is for the board to magically know who is a moderator and who isn't, despite having ACP access.

Using a secondary group to provide ACP access is the way it needs to be done, plain and simple.

An administrator (as far as programming is concerned) is someone with ACP access, restricted or not. What you want is for the board to magically know who is a moderator and who isn't, despite having ACP access.

Using a secondary group to provide ACP access is the way it needs to be done, plain and simple.

He's got a point... it also allows YOU to know who has admin access, an issue that IPS has addressed by adding that module in the ACP so you can see who has admin access... if you were trying to hide it or whatever you could potentially run into problems.

There is no magic involved as far as I know: It seems the software already knows how who is an administrators and who is a moderator, and this has nothing to do with ACP access. There are lots of settings e.g. in the ACP restrictions like "Can edit moderators?" and "Can edit ADMINS?" which seems to indicate it knows this.

So to do the moderating team page properly, the software could simply list the Admins at the top and the moderator usergroups using each usergroup's name as the header. Very simple :)

There is no magic involved as far as I know: It seems the software already knows how who is an administrators and who is a moderator, and this has nothing to do with ACP access. There are lots of settings e.g. in the ACP restrictions like "Can edit moderators?" and "Can edit ADMINS?" which seems to indicate it knows this.

So to do the moderating team page properly, the software could simply list the Admins at the top and the moderator usergroups using each usergroup's name as the header. Very simple :)

You're getting the ACP restrictions confused with access the definition of an admin. Admin = ACP access, period. Look where it counts, in the member groups, where it lets you choose which members have ACP access (the magic one that makes someone an admin) and/or global mod access. ACP access = admin, that trumps other stats.

Okay, on second thought I'm not entirely sure it knows who is a moderator and who is an administrator, but of course it does know about the supermod and ACP access privileges.

Still, I think it would make a lot of sense to change the moderating team page to simply show staff by the usergroup to which they belong.

In my book, administrators and moderators etc. are usergroups. ACP access on the other hand is a privilege that can be given either to a usergroup or to a member on an individual basis regardless of their usergroup.

In my book, administrators and moderators etc. are usergroups. ACP access on the other hand is a privilege that can be given either to a usergroup or to a member on an individual basis regardless of their usergroup.

User groups are user groups, plain and simple. They define what the members of that group may or may not do. What you want is for the stuff to be hard coded and that doesn't work for everyone.

What you want is for the stuff to be hard coded and that doesn't work for everyone.

No, that is a misunderstanding. I want a list of usergroups with moderating powers and their members using the usergroup names as headers in the list. I think this is possible without hardcoding.

Archived